Options

what to about cat in heat

THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
Forum Member
✭✭
i dont want to risk the operation as our last cat didn't make it.she's 3 all black and makes the godawfulest noise and i not eager to have her show me the arse every minute

Comments

• Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a lot you can do, keep her in, keep her occupied.

She needs spaying, it's rare for there to be complications.
    I know in some countries, cat breeders are experimenting with the Suprelorin implant, but not sure if it's licensed in the UK for female cats tbh
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After this season have her done, or you will have this problem often. It's very rare or there to be any complications and even less common for a cat to die. It also protects against several cancers so is best thing you can do for her.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a cat die after a neutering operation - he had a blood clotting problem and the wounds wouldn't stop bleeding. Incredibly rare and desperately sad but I would never avoid having a cat neutered or spayed because of fear on my part about the outcome.

Complications are very rare but if a female cat isn't spayed, she will come into season every 3 - 4 weeks, she may become distressed, her drive to mate will make her determined to get out and 'find some' even if she's a house cat and of course any local entire males will hang around the house.

Plus, as Mollie says, there is an increased likelihood of some cancers in a female cat that doesn't breed.

There are cat contraceptives but unless there is a diagnosed medical problem that makes an operation unfeasible, they're not recommended long-term because they lead to an increased risk of cancers. Also, if a cat vomits within 20 minutes of being given the pill (every 15 days for one that is used in France) the drug isn't absorbed and the cat can conceive.

I am still terribly sad about the loss of my kitten 20 years ago but it has never prevented me getting subsequent cats (there have been a few!) 'done'. Yes, I am always tense on the day of the op but I would not let my fears stop me doing something for the benefit of the animal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please get your cat neutered. I understand that you're scared, but a cat that goes into heat regularly but doesn't conceive is at risk of pyometra. And as normandie says, contraceptives have a risk of mammary cancer as a side effect. Spaying her really is the best option,
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get her spayed. Complications are VERY rare. If you ask, your vet can do a pre-surgery blood profile to make sure her kidney and liver function are up to scratch and she's not harboring FIV or FeLV.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    Please get your cat neutered. I understand that you're scared, but a cat that goes into heat regularly but doesn't conceive is at risk of pyometra. And as normandie says, contraceptives have a risk of mammary cancer as a side effect. Spaying her really is the best option,

this cats are generally either pregnant, neutered or calling, calling can happen every two weeks or so until it is mated or neutered and this will increase the risks of pyometra which is far more dangerous than having her neutered
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THE ROTCOD wrote: »
    i dont want to risk the operation as our last cat didn't make it.she's 3 all black and makes the godawfulest noise and i not eager to have her show me the arse every minute

She'll get out at some point, unless you are exceedingly vigilant.

It's also amazing just how many unneutered Toms are on the loose.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always amazes me when people ask for help on here & never come back to acknowledge posters advice. I see the OP in question has been talking on other thread, so they have been around !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    It always amazes me when people ask for help on here & never come back to acknowledge posters advice. I see the OP in question has been talking on other thread, so they have been around !

Often happens when they don't get the answer they wanted - why ask if you are not going to even think about the advice given ?
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Often happens when they don't get the answer they wanted - why ask if you are not going to even think about the advice given ?

I know >:(
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably like most local cat owners, enjoy letting their screaming shit machines out and making a couple of hundred quid of the litters twice a year >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people do have their cats fixed don't see many kittens round here unless someone has bought a new one in.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I believe that most responsible and caring cat owners would get their cats neutered/spayed. There are far too many unwanted kittens being born and in this day and age there is no need for it.!!

Not being able to afford the cost is not even a valid excuse now, Cats Protection League will get it done for people who genuinely can't afford it.