Options

Designer Julian MaDonald blasts plus size models

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1287045/Designer-Julien-MacDonald-attacks-plus-size-models-branding-joke.htm

I'm sure I won't be the only person to find his comments utterly disgraceful? When will the fashion world accept that real women do not look like these anorexic looking models you see on the catwalks? Catwalk models are freaks of nature, most women have boobs, hips, bums and thighs regardless of their clothing size.

You can't tell me that the majority of these girls are healthy? Most of them look seriously ill with bones jutting out all over the place and pasty, pale complexions. Probably severely anemic from a lack of nutrients on top of everything else. I find them just as stomach churning to look at as obese people with flab hanging out everywhere. The fashion industry is promoting an unhealthy image by insisting on using these skeletons.

What an idiot this man is!

Comments

• Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Link doesn't work.
  • Options
    LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Try this. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1287045/Designer-Julien-MacDonald-attacks-plus-size-models-branding-joke.html

He's just like most gay designers who design for models with figures like 12 year old boys and no chests or hips. That's fine on the catwalk, but doesn't translate to real life women.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see catwalk models as freaks of nature. That comment is just as divisive as Julian McDonald's 'joke' one imo.

There's room for all sizes on the catwalk as long as the frames - whatever size they are - show the clothng off to its best advantage.
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's with the bad combover, Julien?

Can't we just ban designers from making stupid comments like this? I'm sure he'd be horrified to know his (not so)cheapo Debenhams range goes all the way up to size 20... gasp!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    well love what he is saying or not, he is telling the truth.

in an ideal world the fashion industry would hire models of normal woman sizes but we are not in that ideal world.

He is simply stating facts... and what he is actually saying is sweet because he is telling the +size models there is no room for them in the industry and anyone that tells them otherwise is giving them false hope because even if they win the show he is hosting, they will not be hired for high end catwalk fashion shows. period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I don't see catwalk models as freaks of nature. That comment is just as divisive as Julian McDonald's 'joke' one imo.

There's room for all sizes on the catwalk as long as the frames - whatever size they are - show the clothng off to its best advantage.

But that's just it, catwalk clothes are made in sizes which mere mortal women on the high street couldn't get into.

Crystal Renn has been used by Chanel, but she's the exception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Idiotgirle wrote: »

Can't we just ban designers from making stupid comments like this? I'm sure he'd be horrified to know his (not so)cheapo Debenhams range goes all the way up to size 20... gasp!

Indeed, and many of the size 20's are sold out. :D

http://www.debenhams.com/women/star-by-julien-macdonald

Perhaps he should get his own house in order before he starts making remarks like that.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiotgirle wrote: »

PMSL! I know, I was thinking the same. He must have been taking style tips from Bobby Charlton or something!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just remember seeing him as a judge on Project Catwalk once and thinking "hold on just a minute, this guy is talentless, his collections are awful, why on earth is he judging them?"

he can't accept the fact that times change and the modelling/ fashion world have moved on since the days of size zero...

he needs to stop living in the past and accept the fact that there is nothing bad about not looking like a stick insect.

just an awful, awful man.
    :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try this. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1287045/Designer-Julien-MacDonald-attacks-plus-size-models-branding-joke.html

He's just like most gay designers who design for models with figures like 12 year old boys and no chests or hips. That's fine on the catwalk, but doesn't translate to real life women.

That's exactly it. Most women designers are better, Donna Karan, Stella McCartney, DVF, Betty Jackson, etc, because they have an understanding of what it is to be female. Some of the male designers probably never touch a woman except when doing dress fittings.
  • Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hes always come across as really bitchy and smallminded to me urgh he needs to wake up and get back to reality and realise real women dont look like stick thin aliens sorry!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comb forward, the shiny botox face, the limited height the fact that he has been slapped by the ugly tree.....stupid bitter little man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's just it, catwalk clothes are made in sizes which mere mortal women on the high street couldn't get into.

Crystal Renn has been used by Chanel, but she's the exception.

Well sorry to disagree but as a mere mortal woman, I have no problem getting into them. And the majority of my friends are a similar size to me. High end catwalk models are chosen for their ability to show off the designers' work to its best advantage and long lean frames do the job particularly well.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone knows that gay men rule the world of haute fashion so it's no surprise they're dead set against any curvature. Didn't some idiot accuse Heidi Klum of being 'fat'?

Edit: Mind you just googled and apparently she herself accused an 8 stone girl of being too fat to be a model on 'Germany's Next Supermodel'.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well sorry to disagree but as a mere mortal woman, I have no problem getting into them. And the majority of my friends are a similar size to me. High end catwalk models are chosen for their ability to show off the designers' work to its best advantage and long lean frames do the job particularly well.

Aren't you and your friends the 'lucky' ones then? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Everyone knows that gay men rule the world of haute fashion so it's no surprise they're dead set against any curvature. Didn't some idiot accuse Heidi Klum of being 'fat'?

Edit: Mind you just googled and apparently she herself accused an 8 stone girl of being too fat to be a model on 'Germany's Next Supermodel'.:rolleyes:

Karl Lagerfield. Him with a face like a melted orange candle. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't you and your friends the 'lucky' ones then? :cool:

Well no, I don't see it as being lucky, just the size I happen to be. And the size a lot of other people happen to be. I just object to the idea that the standard catwalk model is totally removed from reality. it's not. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    That's exactly it. Most women designers are better, Donna Karan, Stella McCartney, DVF, Betty Jackson, etc, because they have an understanding of what it is to be female. Some of the male designers probably never touch a woman except when doing dress fittings.

They design for a body shape they fancy.

Which in their terms is pre-pubescent boys, with a straight up and down shape.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karl Lagerfield. Him with a face like a melted orange candle. ;)
    Yep- that's the one. Lol.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a little unfair to say that catwalk models are freaks of nature and not "real" women. Women come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, big bums small bums, big boobs no boobs, no hips curvy hips etc etc etc. Some women actually are size 0 and not anorexic. Suggesting they all are is unfair, though I'm sure many of them are malnourished, which is very sad and if a model has an eating disorder they should not be booked for jobs. At the end of the day, whether they like it or not they're role models as well as catwalk models.

On the other hand, I think it's high time we saw far more plus sized women on the catwalk. Would one per show be difficult? Surely not. Women that are into fashion are not all size 4-10, slender women. With all the fashion magazines about now, fashion is open to a much wider audience including women that may be "plus size" and shorter than 5ft 9! At least put one plus size girl in to show women everywhere that they too can wear that designer's clothing and look fantastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree that some women are naturally slim, and look great. I have a friend who is a size 4, but she eats well and looks healthy. So many of the runway models look ready to keel over. A couple of years ago a girl died right after coming off the catwalk because her heart gave out. Another used an asthma inhaler to reduce her appetite and died, lots of ex-models come forward to say they were encouraged to lose weight even when they were already under-weight for their height.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    I think it's a little unfair to say that catwalk models are freaks of nature and not "real" women. Women come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, big bums small bums, big boobs no boobs, no hips curvy hips etc etc etc. Some women actually are size 0 and not anorexic. Suggesting they all are is unfair...

Yes, exactly.
    On the other hand, I think it's high time we saw far more plus sized women on the catwalk. Would one per show be difficult? Surely not. Women that are into fashion are not all size 4-10, slender women. With all the fashion magazines about now, fashion is open to a much wider audience including women that may be "plus size" and shorter than 5ft 9! At least put one plus size girl in to show women everywhere that they too can wear that designer's clothing and look fantastic.

I think it's the mindset that has to change. Having only one plus sized model is almost as bad as not having any, it reeks of tokenism. I still think height is important for catwalk but a reasonable mix of up to (proportional) size 14 would be a good way forward.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member

I agree with this, the model being tall and slim shows off the line of the clothes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    The "plus" sized model pictured in the article would be considered pretty slim if you saw her out in the street.:rolleyes:

Some people are naturally very skinny, nothing wrong with that, but they still look healthy, unlike a lot of these super-tall girls you see on catwalks.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    They design for a body shape they fancy.

Which in their terms is pre-pubescent boys, with a straight up and down shape.

I don't agree that that is the reason. It is more to do with showing off the clothes best. All gay designers are attracted to a pre-pubescent boy shape? :confused: