Daddy Longlegs

Comments

• Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Erm, well they float around aimlessly, often into hot bulbs etc
    Well to be fair they never had much risk of getting burnt flying towards the moon:).
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point in what? I was just mentioning something.
    Relax. I meant what's the point in them being venomous if they can't use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a third spider thread .. just what we need to really enhance our nightmares :)
    This isn't a spider thread.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Well to be fair they never had much risk of getting burnt flying towards the moon:).
    Actually thinking about it they've had since the invention of candles to learn, possibly too teeny-tiny brained to evolve, but then again 3000 years? is still a pimple in their existence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hate them. Am forever saying they seem to have increased in population lately. I hate it when they are joined at the ''tail'' thing, mating i assume, and are floating about frantically ..ew
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Daddy Longlegs.

They're the only large insect that I will happily pick up gently and put outside.

It's the damn moths that I find really annoying. There are loads of them!
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just you thank your stars their sting things aren't any longer, apparently they are the most venemous creatures of the planet, but their sting thingy's (forget the name for it) aren't long enough to penetrate human skin :eek:

A common myth, but not true.

Crane flies do not have a sting, or a poison. The females have an ovipositor that may look like a sting - but it is not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Relax. I meant what's the point in them being venomous if they can't use it.

OK I thought you were saying what's the point in my post lol :p
  • Options
    pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do their legs have any feelings in them?
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH and I have a system sorted out. I'm terrified of spiders and he's scared of crane flies, he gets shot of the spiders and i evict the crane flies.

Loads of them about at the moment. Surrounded by arable fields, so we always get them.

I think they do feel pain, I was accidentally heavy handed with one and it found itself short of a leg, and it curled in on itself, like you'd go into foetal position to protect yourself when hurt.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't a spider thread.

hhmm .. i didn't realise daddy longlegs were part of the monkey family then ;)
  • Options
    pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

daddy longlegs are insects, and so is anything else with 6 legs, a spider has 8 legs and isn't an insect. A spider is in the same family as scorpions and crabs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm...I take it you are getting confused as to what's actually being referred to as a 'daddy long-legs' in this thread - and that is a crane fly. Which is certainly not a spider.

So, to summarise, you are wrong.
    Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    daddy longlegs are insects, and so is anything else with 6 legs, a spider has 8 legs and isn't an insect. A spider is in the same family as scorpions and crabs.

Crabs are actually in a different family to spiders and scorpions.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LISABR123 wrote: »
    hate them. Am forever saying they seem to have increased in population lately. I hate it when they are joined at the ''tail'' thing, mating i assume, and are floating about frantically ..ew

Me too, and why do they ALWAYS head for my face??? I can't bear them, but I know now is the time of year for them. Their eggs are under your lawn and they hatch from there, (specially soon after you've cut the grass and disturbed them).

Fortunately, they are not around for long, but meantime, I will sweat buckets inside with all doors and windows closed). :o:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ...or 'Jennys' as we call them up here.

What's going on with them lately? We can't leave a window open for a second without a swarm of them flying in. And when I say 'flying' I mean that pathetic clumsy flutter that they do.
    And is it me or have they gotten so much bigger!?
    The short, sharp, intermittent periods of buzzing and bumping against the blinds is enough to drive you crazy when you're trying to get some bloody sleep.
    Pathetic creatures.

:mad:
    Up here? I thought you were over there?

We have seen a lot more of them this summer. Usually every day walk in to the bathroom and see 4 or 5 dead in the bath.

Yet a disinct lack of bees and wasps this summer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I have 2 phobias
    Balloons and daddy long legs I'm petrified of them
  • Options
    willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine are either very stupid or suicidal. I had one headbutting the window. I went over to let it out, it flew off.

A couple of days later, it is dead on the windowsill.

Aanother dead on the floor. And one flying around my paper lightshade, which, in turn, supersizes it.

My neighbours doorbell has daddy longlegs legs all over it. *Shudders*

Maybe they weren't able to get a mate to get jiggy with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Me too, and why do they ALWAYS head for my face??? I can't bear them, but I know now is the time of year for them. Their eggs are under your lawn and they hatch from there, (specially soon after you've cut the grass and disturbed them).

Fortunately, they are not around for long, but meantime, I will sweat buckets inside with all doors and windows closed). :o:D

*Vomit* at eggs bit
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love them. I don't know why I'm not scared of them though as I bloody hate spiders. Weird.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Whip their legs off and launch them back out the widow, they fly off into the darkness.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope this helps :)

Local parlance then. Never referred to them as daddy long legs as long as i've been alive. but fair play, i'll leave you to it.
  • Options
    BarrieWhizzo!BarrieWhizzo! Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Anyone here enjoy pulling off their legs/wings? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband calls Daddy Longlegs (crane flies), "Jennies" and those spiders with great big legs "Daddy Longlegs". Very confusing for me.