Options

Windows 8 secondary user accounts ... BIG problem.

DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Everytime I set up Windows 8 with a second user account, regardless of the PC it's installed, it goes to a black screen
with mouse pointer after logging into the secondary account. Nothing loads ... no Start screen, no desktop ... nothing.
It does this on my main PC, it's done it on my media centre, it's done this on my laptop, and even on a spare laptop
that I want to lend to a friend until her main computer is back up and running. On each system, it's the same issue.

It was suggested on another forum, I use the sfc /scannow option, then reboot. This only seems to work temporarily.
After any further reboots, the same problem comes straight back, and only the main user account is fully functional.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Windows 8 does not support more than one user account per system.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two user accounts on my Windows 8 laptop and they work fine. I can't help with your issue, but Windows 8 does support multiple user accounts.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here, got two user accounts plus guest account on my (vista-era) laptop. All works fine.

Perhaps the user is the problem rather than the software?
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP,

Can the computer's manufacturer offer any advice? Do they have a user support forum? Perhaps it's a problem which only affects that model, in which case including the model number in a Google search might be worth a try.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Everytime I set up Windows 8 with a second user account, regardless of the PC it's installed, it goes to a black screen
    with mouse pointer after logging into the secondary account. Nothing loads ... no Start screen, no desktop ... nothing.
    It does this on my main PC, it's done it on my media centre, it's done this on my laptop, and even on a spare laptop
    that I want to lend to a friend until her main computer is back up and running. On each system, it's the same issue.

It was suggested on another forum, I use the sfc /scannow option, then reboot. This only seems to work temporarily.
    After any further reboots, the same problem comes straight back, and only the main user account is fully functional.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Windows 8 does not support more than one user account per system.
    Are you always trying to use the same Microsoft/Live account when the problem occurs? If so, create a new one and try that.

sfc /scannow isn't going to help.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    OP,
    Can the computer's manufacturer offer any advice? Do they have a user support forum?
    Perhaps it's a problem which only affects that model, in which case including the model
    number in a Google search might be worth a try.
    The main PC doesn't have a manfacturer (Desktop PC's aren't actually manufactured, but that's another topic entirely.)
    The media centre is an HP DC770, my laptop is an Asus A54C, and the other laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A200 Pro.
    Stig wrote: »
    Are you always trying to use the same Microsoft/Live account when the problem occurs?
    If so, create a new one and try that.

sfc /scannow isn't going to help.
    On the main PC, the media centre and Asus laptop, I'm using my main Microsoft account that's associated with
    my XBox LIVE Gamertag and my Technet account. The Toshiba uses an entirely different Microsoft account.

Even if I use Local accounts not associated with any online Microsoft account, the problem still occurs.