Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Saturday morning kids shows.

Of course they never really were kids shows. Going live used to get up to 8m

Yah same here I used to like the one on itv when they where in an attic thing no I idea what it was called now.
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB92 wrote: »
    It's s kids show. Breakfast will easily beat it. I don't think there was ever any doubt about that.

At least ITV are investing again in this market. There still should be children's drama on BBC 1 like the old days. Byker Grove, Grange Hill etc. BBC should be catering better for 14 to 18. Instead of antiques on both BBC 1 and 2
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yah same here I used to like the one on itv when they where in an attic thing no I idea what it was called now.

Toonattik :p

I used to enjoy Diggit
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how much The Voice has timeshifted so far?
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    comedy89 wrote: »
    At least ITV are investing again in this market. There still should be children's drama on BBC 1 like the old days. Byker Grove, Grange Hill etc. BBC should be catering better for 14 to 18. Instead of antiques on both BBC 1 and 2

A bit of cheap presentation on a recycled set between US imports and cheap co prods. Yeah that's some investment
    There still should be children's drama on BBC 1 like the old days.Byker Grove, Grange Hill etc. BBC should be catering better for 14 to 18.

Were you still watching Grange Hill and Byker Grove when you were 14-18?:o mmmm
    Instead of antiques on both BBC 1 and 2

Pointless is an Antiques show now is it?
    Kids have moved on....... maybe you should too.:)
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    All in good time. As you stated Viewers won't just hop back despite someone is returning or whatever. They will hop back when they realise that EastEnders is back. Word is slowly getting around and even looking at twitter I have noticed this week more trending topics and what not then of late.
    It means people are talking about it again.

DTC has managed to have the highest rated episode since last March,He has had some of the better Friday ratings in the past year and of course the figures are much more consistent now.
    It's going the right way.

You admitted that word of mouth would help Eastenders get over 8 million over the reaction of Mick and Johnny's scene? Well that didn't help. Here we are weeks later and Eastenders still get can't over 8 million word of mouth clearly not working.

Until ratings improve the beating the drum about word of mouth is meaningless its just words right now. The cancer storyline is his work and the Carters are his creations nobody else's.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Channel 5 +24 is confirmed. It'll broadcast between 7pm and midnight, the rest of the time they're filling it with teleshopping.

What a pointless waste of a Freeview channel.
    No more of a waste than 4Seven. And at least a dozen other channels on the platform. At least it's screening a minimum of 5 hours of general entertainment per night.

You yourself highlighted why it would be pointless broadcasting C5+24 in the daytime just a few days ago. Now it emerges that as a commercial broadcaster trying to make money in a tough climate they are looking to monetise by running teleshopping during those hours, you pick fault with that as well.

It's their slot. They can do what the hell they want with it whilst they are paying for the privilege. And let's not forget this was space that was previously used by the now defunct pay service Top Up TV so if anything it's a bonus to Freeview viewers.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

They absolutely are, just because its not on BBC One anymore doesn't mean anything, the CBBC channel has original scripted content such as Wizards V Aliens and The Dumping Ground, in addition to the usual Cartoons like Scooby Doo to factual like Blue Peter and Deadly 60-Kids know where to find this stuff and the BBC are providing a far superior mix of programming to CITV. Digital TV more or less made the need for BBC One children's programs redundant. Also, there is very little original content to be found on CITV, a lot of buy ins/co-productions but their last major investment was the Fort Boyard revival, a far cry from their glory days. However, Scrambled is a step forward to the days of SM:TV so we'll see if there is still an appetite for this type of thing.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of kids TV does anyone know if CBBC and CBeebies saw their 2013 shares go up - you'd expect them to in order to justify BBC1/2 dropping their shows completely. If not it suggests that BBC1/2 window is still required.

Personally I think a traditional Saturday morning show should still have a presence on BBC1 and BBC2 repeating some key shows from the week on a Sunday morning wouldn't be a bad idea too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toonattik :p

I used to enjoy Diggit

That's the one. Really enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much The Voice has timeshifted so far?

I'd like to no this as well.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Talking of kids TV does anyone know if CBBC and CBeebies saw their 2013 shares go up - you'd expect them to in order to justify BBC1/2 dropping their shows completely. If not it suggests that BBC1/2 window is still required.

CBBC
    2012: 0.70%
    2013: 0.65%

CBeebies
    2012: 1.23%
    2013: 1.27%

These are consolidated shares across the twelve BARB months in each year. Of course these include adult viewing to those channels, whereas the BBC looks at viewing by the target child audiences which may well show different changes from year to year.

Also, the BBC One and Two children's blocks had extremely small child audiences. The vast majority of kids' consumption of BBC children's TV was via the CBBC and CBeebies channels already; few were bothering with the BBC One and Two content aimed at them:
    The number of children watching the dedicated blocks of children's programming on BBC One and BBC Two is low. In 2011, the CBBC channel reached 1.8 million children aged 6-12 every week, compared to the CBBC programming block on BBC One which only reached 541,000. The weekday CBBC content on BBC Two reached 257,000 6-12-year-olds, while the figures for Saturday and Sunday content were 213,000 and 130,000 respectively. This pattern was repeated for CBeebies, which reached over 2.3 million children aged 6 or under each week. CBeebies content on BBC Two reached just over 380,000 on weekdays and under 30,000 on weekends.
    Average audience sizes were even lower, with only 33,000 children aged 6-12 watching the CBBC early weekday afternoon block on BBC One at any one time. This has declined significantly in recent years, dropping from an equivalent 134,000 in 2007 – a fall of 75%.

The number of children watching the BBC's flagship services at other times of day is actually higher, as children view programmes with the rest of their families. For example, on BBC One there are about seven times more children under 12 watching at 8pm than on average during the afternoon children's programming block, suggesting that they will not lose their connection with the BBC's flagship services.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/dqf/final/significance_tests/childrens_content.pdf (p.5)

So we shouldn't have expected any great positive impact on CBBC/CBeebies from the axing of the terrestrial children's blocks.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I wonder how Itv's majorly trailed new Saturday morning kids show Scrambled will rate tomorrow? I predict a massive 7 to 1 thrashing for BBC One's Breakfast [around 40pct v 6pct shares]. Should end up helping boost BBC1's all day shares. There is no market in this day and age for a show like Scrambled on a mainstream channel, watch it flop in the ratings big time.

Agreed though Samuel isn't it nice how both the first good saturday morning show (Tiswas) and the last good saturday morning show (SM:TV Live) were both on ITV? Also arguably far better remembered with the general public than any BBC offering.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The BBC have already confirmed they've asked the production company for a Sherlock special on Christmas Day 2014.

That's an interesting tidbit. Hopefully a 2nd episode for New Year's Day too. It would be nice to see the BBC1 Christmas Day schedules freshened up with a big 9pm blockbuster drama. It would rate well I think even against strong competition, certainly better than Call The Midwife has been. Maybe they could fit a Mrs Brown in at 10:30pm afterwards too. Eastenders at 8 beforehand. Then that forces Emmerdale/Corrie/Downton to 6pm-10pm.

Oh, errr... apologies for talking Christmas schedules :D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Agreed though Samuel isn't it nice how both the first good saturday morning show (Tiswas) and the last good saturday morning show (SM:TV Live) were both on ITV? Also arguably far better remembered with the general public than any BBC offering.

Oh hell no!

Swap Shop for the win!
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I wonder how Itv's majorly trailed new Saturday morning kids show Scrambled will rate tomorrow? I predict a massive 7 to 1 thrashing for BBC One's Breakfast [around 40pct v 6pct shares]. Should end up helping boost BBC1's all day shares. There is no market in this day and age for a show like Scrambled on a mainstream channel, watch it flop in the ratings big time.

Still trolling I see. Posts like this are helping to ruin this thread.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »

Personally I think a traditional Saturday morning show should still have a presence on BBC1 and BBC2 repeating some key shows from the week on a Sunday morning wouldn't be a bad idea too.

Children 4 to 15
    CBBC
    2012 - 5.47% (highest share: 38.9%)
    2013 - 5.16% (highest share: 44.2%)

CBeebies
    2012 - 4.34% (highest share: 53.3%)
    2013 - 5.19% (highest share: 71.4%)

And the five highest rated individual shows in the demographic across both channels:

465k - The Dumping Ground (11/01/13, 17:00, CBBC)
    408k - Octonauts: A Very Vegimals Christmas (17/12/13, 16:45, CBeebies)
    361k - FILM: Madagascar (17/02/13, 08:05, CBBC)
    355k - Topsy and Tim (26/11/13, 17:35, CBeebies)
    352k - Tree Fu Tom (19/03/13, 17:05, CBeebies)

As you may expect, there are a massive amount of daytime shows above 30%+ - 200 individual shows to be exact.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    EastEnders is very good at the moment but needs a water cooler moment to get viewers in. Ratings will stay around the levels they are until that happens.

The Friday episode isn't going anywhere as there is nothing else BBC1 can put there regular that can get 6-8m viewers. Nonsense idea. So many people come up with this nonsense idea. Improve EastEnders and you will get people watching it across the week.

Call The Midwife dipped for series 2, if it dips again then alarm bells will sound.

Reading the thread from where I was last here.

3 things about Call the Midwife

1) It was still well over 10m if your sounding alarm bells over that you might as well ring them over all of TV

2) There were 2 extra eps in season 2 with 8 instead of 6 in the first series.

3) Episodes without Miranda Hart were roughly 600k down on eps with her in them, Which A)shows how popular Miranda is and B) I believe she in all the eps for season 3 so that won't be a factor.

I would have thought the BBC would be happy with anything over 8m myself.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 18s
    The 8th season of #anislandparish launched to 2.1m/9.1% on BBC2 at 8.30pm http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Reading the thread from where I was last here.

3 things about Call the Midwife

1) It was still well over 10m if your sounding alarm bells over that you might as well ring them over all of TV

2) There were 2 extra eps in season 2 with 8 instead of 6 in the first series.

3) Episodes without Miranda Hart were roughly 600k down on eps with her in them, Which A)shows how popular Miranda is and B) I believe she in all the eps for season 3 so that won't be a factor.

I would have thought the BBC would be happy with anything over 8m myself.

They will be happy but you would rather a show grew than dropped. Last year it got higher overnights but smaller timeshifts. Not a crisis but you wouldn't want to see ratings inch down again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    They will be happy but you would rather a show grew than dropped. Last year it got higher overnights but smaller timeshifts. Not a crisis but you wouldn't want to see ratings inch down again.

A drop of a few hundred thousand isn't a problem, you can't expect shows to keep growing especially when they are as big as CTM anyway. In the same way Downtown has reached its level now and I would be surprised if Sherlock was to go any higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A drop of a few hundred thousand isn't a problem, you can't expect shows to keep growing especially when they are as big as CTM anyway. In the same way Downtown has reached its level now and I would be surprised if Sherlock was to go any higher.

All very true but I expected Midwife to grow in series 2 like Downton and Sherlock did. It is nowhere near a flop but I'd like to see series 3 perform like series 1
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to point out that with regards childrens ratings on BBC1/BBC2...

That the BBC were running down this service prior to dumping it, I remember it very clearly.

If CBBC did not exist then kids would watch those same programmes on BBC1/2. Why would they not?

Just as if BBC4 did not exist it's quite reasonable to conclude that those adults would still watch those programmes if shown on BBC2.

The BBC made a choice to push their PSB programming away to "ghetto" channels, and focus on ratings/the mainstream on BBC1/BBC2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may grow a little this year with a weaker DOI, I suppose CTM has a slightly harder task than Downton, in that Downton doesn't usually have as much competition as DOI.
This discussion has been closed.