Comments

• SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like JJ's style of singing but I agree with her on this as they made a complete dogs breakfast of the song. JJ is notorious for putting in trills and runs but she puts them where they should be and work best but this particular song she sang pretty straight and they aren't meant to be there.

The other problem is that JJ is a fantastic singer with a huge vocal range and I actually think the song was just to big for the two girls who at times both sounded like they were struggling.

Having said that she is probably better off not commenting on the mentors critiques as she was not always right herself :)
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    I don't like JJ's style of singing but I agree with her on this as they made a complete dogs breakfast of the song. JJ is notorious for putting in trills and runs but she puts them where they should be and work best but this particular song she sang pretty straight and they aren't meant to be there.

The other problem is that JJ is a fantastic singer with a huge vocal range and I actually think the song was just to big for the two girls who at times both sounded like they were struggling.

Having said that she is probably better off not commenting on the mentors critiques as she was not always right herself :)

I suspect she may have taken it a bit personally as it was her song, I am trying to remember how she reacted before when her songs have been used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I suspect she may have taken it a bit personally as it was her song, I am trying to remember how she reacted before when her songs have been used.

I don't remember any of her songs being used at his stage of the contest or even later. Someone may of done one at the auditions though. As I said before I think her songs are actually hard to sing so are probably best left to her :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember any of her songs being used at his stage of the contest or even later. Someone may of done one at the auditions though. As I said before I think her songs are actually hard to sing so are probably best left to her :)

I was thinking of the auditions, like you I think at least one was used then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the first episode she has watched this season. She was in California when the auditions were shown.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    'Bcoz I'm real and a girl innit' Kylie has probably forgotten more than Jessie J knows, has Jessie she heard herself sing? I remember the duet with Vince Kidd where she completely over sang.

Completely the right decision to not invite her back. Flop second album too...
  • RocknRollaRocknRolla Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Bitter, as show is getting better ratings without her
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone doing a Jessie J song is an improvement on the original.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um I don't remember her ever giving any 'constructive criticism' :confused: As far as I remember it was exactly the same when she was on the panel, with feedback always being 100% positive...
  • Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with her. I wasn't her biggest fan but I always remember her being critical on the panel even telling her own acts after there battle that it wasn't good! The show is doing well because it's happier and nicer now and that happens cause everyone is told to be great even if not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    Um I don't remember her ever giving any 'constructive criticism' :confused: As far as I remember it was exactly the same when she was on the panel, with feedback always being 100% positive...

Constructive criticism is criticism delivered helpfully with the focus on improvement. It should not be mistaken for a lack of critique.

I do actually think Jessie' s got a bit of a point here in that there' s less comment on pitch, breathing, diction etc coming from the coaches. Unless the contestants are significantly better at these this time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Constructive criticism is criticism delivered helpfully with the focus on improvement. It should not be mistaken for a lack of critique.

I do actually think Jessie' s got a bit of a point here in that there' s less comment on pitch, breathing, diction etc coming from the coaches. Unless the contestants are significantly better at these this time?

Jessie certainly used to give this kind of feedback and as I remember was criticised for it and taking things to seriously. ---- or of course on these boards we got the what does Jessie J know about singing comments a bit like we are getting what does Kylie know about music ones this year :)

Maybe it's been decided that this kind of comment is a bit heavy for a Saturday evening entertainment show and the coaches have been told to stick to more general comment on the show and save the technical stuff for the mentoring sessions --- Just a thought :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Jessie was on, she said on air that the producers told her that she needed to explain herself when she was talking about pitch, control, breathing, diction, etc. because the general public aren't familiar with those terms. It wouldnt surprise me if they took it a step forward this year and told them not to use words like that at all.
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Jessie would talk about was licks and runs and then do some herself to try and show off to the contestants.

Fair enough you cant slag her off for her opinion but the show is so much better this year without her and Danny.

Everyone is getting on brilliantly. Just loved the whole interaction with Kylie hugging Tom and everyone getting excited when Tom stole Steven. Didn't get that last year
  • mashitupmashitup Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Jessie J is Awesome imho :))
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie does have a point, the It's My Party battle was the worst one. All the other battles sounded really good imo. I'm enjoying the show this series once again.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    The thing is, Jessie had only seen that one episode, so she was jumping to conclusions with her rant about the coaches being too nice to the contestants. They've all given constructive criticism at some point during the auditions, whether with regards to pacing, bum notes or missing the emotion of the song. Ok, Saturday's episode was lacking critique, but with it being a 2+ hour show their comments were very brief and mostly just consisted of them saying who they preferred - I'm sure they said more than what was shown on tv.

You'd think somebody who's been a part of the show before would understand that not every little comment gets shown. If anything Jessie should've questioned the editing, not acted superior to people who are considered by the majority to be doing a much better job than she did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acting superior by asking where is the criticism of that one particular performance? That's a little dramatic don't you think?
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Acting superior by asking where is the criticism of that one particular performance? That's a little dramatic don't you think?

That wasn't her only tweet. Even before that trainwreck of a performance, she was tweeting "Nicey nice nice nice" and "My face.." with added embarrassed emojis.

Pretty unnecessary and yes, superior imo. As though she'd only bothered watching the show to pick holes in it - although I'll be fair and note that she did compliment Christina and Nathan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Jade" wrote: »
    That wasn't her only tweet. Even before that trainwreck of a performance, she was tweeting "Nicey nice nice nice" and "My face.." with added embarrassed emojis.

Pretty unnecessary and yes, superior imo. As though she'd only bothered watching the show to pick holes in it - although I'll be fair and note that she did compliment Christina and Nathan.
    It's called having an opinion. Everyone else writes the same deal on Twitter every time the show comes on. Nothing superior about it, just expressing an opinion on the shit singing and ridiculous "critiques" which she is entitled to do.
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    It's called having an opinion. Everyone else writes the same deal on Twitter every time the show comes on. Nothing superior about it, just expressing an opinion on the shit singing and ridiculous "critiques" which she is entitled to do.

Let's be real though, there's a major difference between someone with 30 followers tweeting something and somebody with millions of followers and a previous connection to the show. The main tweet she made about the lack of critique might have been fair enough on its own - although still pretty hypocritical, as I remember her responding to criticisms about her own behaviour on the show by saying something along the lines of "You can't judge a book on one page", which she essentially did herself by basing her opinions on the current coaches' capabilities on one episode of an edited show - but the other tweets I mentioned were just childish sniping, and imo out of bitterness that the show is being far better received this year.

Sure, she's entitled to do that, but I'm entitled to my opinion that the way she went about it was full of hypocrisy and superiority. (And yes, you're entitled to challenge my opinion etc etc ;-))
  • RocknRollaRocknRolla Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Cosya wrote: »
    All Jessie would talk about was licks and runs and then do some herself to try and show off to the contestants.

Fair enough you cant slag her off for her opinion but the show is so much better this year without her and Danny.

Everyone is getting on brilliantly. Just loved the whole interaction with Kylie hugging Tom and everyone getting excited when Tom stole Steven. Didn't get that last year

Totally agree.

For all her supposed advice she gave, it doesn't seem to have helped any of the contestants from the last 2 series become a star.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessie certainly used to give this kind of feedback and as I remember was criticised for it and taking things to seriously. ---- or of course on these boards we got the what does Jessie J know about singing comments a bit like we are getting what does Kylie know about music ones this year :)

Maybe it's been decided that this kind of comment is a bit heavy for a Saturday evening entertainment show and the coaches have been told to stick to more general comment on the show and save the technical stuff for the mentoring sessions --- Just a thought :)

I think you are possibly right Slojo.

I have said on other threads that I like Jessie and Danny, but they seem quite intense people and that seems to have played into their style as coaches - and that I like the lighthearted atmosphere on the show this year. I think that's partly the inclusion of Ricky and Kylie - though I don't doubt they're still taking it seriously - and partly down perhaps as you say to a change in approach in terms of coach advice being given out during the shows.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to show us a bit more of that advice being given during the coaching sessions themselves? I for one would be quite interested to hear it. Hopefully most viewers are savvy enough to have some sort of idea of whether that's been adhered to during the performance so that it doesn't have to be revisited too much on the night?

I do also think, as others have said, that though Jessie said she planned to watch the show this year it now appears last week was her first viewing - and perhaps she has taken a performance of one of her own songs, that no doubt she would have tried to present differently, since each coach is going to be different in that way, a bit on the personal side. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Jade" wrote: »
    Let's be real though, there's a major difference between someone with 30 followers tweeting something and somebody with millions of followers and a previous connection to the show. The main tweet she made about the lack of critique might have been fair enough on its own - although still pretty hypocritical, as I remember her responding to criticisms about her own behaviour on the show by saying something along the lines of "You can't judge a book on one page", which she essentially did herself by basing her opinions on the current coaches' capabilities on one episode of an edited show - but the other tweets I mentioned were just childish sniping, and imo out of bitterness that the show is being far better received this year.

Sure, she's entitled to do that, but I'm entitled to my opinion that the way she went about it was full of hypocrisy and superiority. (And yes, you're entitled to challenge my opinion etc etc ;-))

The only difference is the way we react to them. There is no difference, however, between a 35 year old cashier watching a tv show and talking shit or being nice or constructive about what it is they are watching and a pop star or whoever else doing the same thing. Why should a not famous person be allowed to say whatever it is they want through social media without any repercussions or any responsibility, but if a famous person says the exact same thing, they are called arrogant, entitled, bitter, and any other name in the book? It doesn't matter how much reach you have. We all have the right to express our opinions and if people don't like it, so be it, but that luxury doesn't change just because others might be influenced by it. If people are that stupid to take on every opinion you have even if it isn't necessarily their own then let them be idiots. We have the right to do that to. Stating an opinion about shit singers isn't going to hurt anyone much more than the thousands of tweets they probably saw already telling them they are awful.

It might even hurt less considering she didn't go the usual Twitter route and tell them they should die or have their vocal chords ripped out. She pinpointed specific things that could be worked on which is the type of constructive criticism she was talking about.

You get nowhere by being coddled. The girl she praised was ecstatic to get her input. As for her team not prospering due to her coaching, considering Becky Hill has received a silver plaque and Jessiie set up the deal to get her signed by her management label, I'd say she has turned out to be the only person with any tangible success thus far so it turns out ego stroking and coddling hasen't been a proven way to develop new artists either.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of the auditions, like you I think at least one was used then.

"Momma Knows Best" was one of the first auditions of the show. I'm sure another was used too. I cleary remember that one though, it's hell of a song.

Sorry, but anyone who says Jessie J can't sing needs too have their ears tested, In general people might not LIKE her music and that's up too them too decide, but she is an incredible vocalist.

As for her comments I think they are justified. Those girls took that song and put it through the blender. The thing with Jessie is that she knows when the licks and tricks will sound good and because she's got such an good voice, it works and doesn't seem forced. And the coaches aren't being very critical this year, Ricky is probably the one that is most critical and even that isn't that much.