• Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Good is a severe understatement - it's a work of art. :D
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of anything that's been on telly that ever been better.

They'd never make it now! Far too complex and slow and weird and the music has a point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I can't think of anything that's been on telly that ever been better.

They'd never make it now! Far too complex and slow and weird and the music has a point.

I couldn't agree more !

I was pleased to see how fresh it looked and the production values and acting remain as good as they were in 1986 !

My favourite drama of all time !
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I watched all last night. Off of the BBC 4 broadcast. Weird stuff and surreal. You can see why Alan Ball said it influenced by it for 'Six Feet Under'.

Gambon was amazing in it. Joanne Whalley was great as well. She has done more recent stuff (44 inch chest). I remember her from 'Scandal' as well.

Janet Suzman, Imelda Stauton, Alison Steadman, Patrick Malhide and Jim Carter were great as well.

It was also well directed. Jon Amiel got a Hollywood carer after this(Copycat).

Incidentally the film version is being shown this Friday on BBC 2(23:50). I know it won't be as good, but Potter did write the script for it.

I still have to watch 'Pennies From Heaven'. Is that any good?

I would say(so far any way) that 'The Singing Detective' is Potter's best work.

I saw 'Blue Remembered Hills' ages ago on Channel 4(about 1991). That drama stayed with me every since. My second favourite Potter after 'The Singing Detective'.

Everyone : "Them bones, them bones..."

:D
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it myself and it was a reminder of a very different television age, can you imagine a writer (even a famous one) submitting scripts which vary in length as that's what the flow of the plot demands?
    Six hours of jaunty melancholia much of it featuring a close ups of an unsightly skin condition would probably scupper the project anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Watched it myself and it was a reminder of a very different television age, can you imagine a writer (even a famous one) submitting scripts which vary in length as that's what the flow of the plot demands?
    Six hours of jaunty melancholia much of it featuring a close ups of an unsightly skin condition would probably scupper the project anyway.

Too right, most TV these days caters to the "Hard Of Thinking".I glad I'm old enough to remember great drama on TV by the likes, of Dennis Potter, Alan Bennett and Alan Bleasedale etc.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it..can we now have Pennies from Heaven
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Ah yes, in grot-o-vision with warbling sound. Great.
    That's rather like saying you can't watch an old film because it's in black and white. Perhaps you'd prefer a glossy remake?
    stripedcat wrote: »
    I watched all last night. Off of the BBC 4 broadcast. Weird stuff and surreal. You can see why Alan Ball said it influenced by it for 'Six Feet Under'.

Gambon was amazing in it. Joanne Whalley was great as well. She has done more recent stuff (44 inch chest). I remember her from 'Scandal' as well.

Janet Suzman, Imelda Stauton, Alison Steadman, Patrick Malhide and Jim Carter were great as well.

It was also well directed. Jon Amiel got a Hollywood carer after this(Copycat).

Incidentally the film version is being shown this Friday on BBC 2(23:50). I know it won't be as good, but Potter did write the script for it.

I still have to watch 'Pennies From Heaven'. Is that any good?

I would say(so far any way) that 'The Singing Detective' is Potter's best work.

I saw 'Blue Remembered Hills' ages ago on Channel 4(about 1991). That drama stayed with me every since. My second favourite Potter after 'The Singing Detective'.

Everyone : "Them bones, them bones..."

:D
    Pennies From Heaven is brilliant.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While we're talking about Dennis Potter, Lipstick on Your Collar has been available on DVD since Oct 2010.

Don't miss it if you like Pennies From Heaven and the Singing Detective.
  • Options
    HalloweenjackHalloweenjack Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Brilliant series, glad they're showing it again. I saw it years ago when I was young and I just got the dvd, but hopefully people who've never seen it will give it a try. I always remember the scene in the woods ;);) other fans of TSD will know what I mean

What's 'im a-doin' to our mam ?
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    What's 'im a-doin' to our mam ?

That scene was imprinted on my memory:D