56 Up

1242526272830»

Comments

• StykerStyker Posts: 49,560
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the title of the song Sue was singing in the 35up one in that pub/bar in kareoke? I've heard that song before but can't remember who sang it.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Does anyone know the title of the song Sue was singing in the 35up one in that pub/bar in kareoke? I've heard that song before but can't remember who sang it.

I remember her singing a song by the Carpenters in one of the episodes. I think it might have been "Close To You", by I am not that sure as it is a long time since I have seen the episode. Hope that helps.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,560
    Forum Member
    I remember her singing a song by the Carpenters in one of the episodes. I think it might have been "Close To You", by I am not that sure as it is a long time since I have seen the episode. Hope that helps.

I think you could be right, thanks.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally caught up with this last night. Very enjoyable.

Bruce is as lovely as ever, and I also really liked John. When he was 7, he was such a precocious little kid, but he has turned into a lovely man, and I like that he actually got hands on in his charity work, rather than just chucking money at it.

The woman (sorry, can't remember her name), who wanted to work in Woolworths - yes she did seem angry at everything, but I quite liked her. She obviously has a happy marriage, and her daughters both seemed very nice and settled.

I've never been sure about Tony. I remember in 40 Up when he was complaining about immigrants coming to Britain, but he seemed oblivious to the fact that he was doing exactly the same thing by moving to Spain. He has a cheeky chappy persona which people tend to like. He was a cute little boy, but I wouldn't like to have been married to the adult Tony.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Bruce appears to be a pretty decent chap, but does somewhat seem to have ditched his principles. From coming up through the public school system, then teaching in Africa and an inner city comprehensive, but then an exclusive independent school, his life has come full circle, having returned to the type of establishment he was once so very much against.

It would be interesting to see if he would be as willing to put Neil up now as he was 14 years ago. Somehow I doubt it.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I've always wondered about this show - perhaps citizen 56 might be able to answer....do the participants have to keep in touch with the programme makers, so that the makers can easily get in touch with them when it comes to filming? Or is the onus on the makers to search out the participants?

When Neil was homeless, I can't imagine that he kept people updated as to his whereabouts (sometimes even he probably didn't know where he would be when it became time to film).
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see if he would be as willing to put Neil up now as he was 14 years ago. Somehow I doubt it.

He's a Quaker though isn't he, so I would imagine that he still would. Presumably it's his faith which made him reach out to Neil in the first place.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Bruce appears to be a pretty decent chap, but does somewhat seem to have ditched his principles. From coming up through the public school system, then teaching in Africa and an inner city comprehensive, but then an exclusive independent school, his life has come full circle, having returned to the type of establishment he was once so very much against.

I thought it was a religious Quaker School?
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    I thought it was a religious Quaker School?

His children go to a Quaker school, but I don't think he teaches at it.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was Bruce ever against the independent school system? I can't recall him ever saying so and not everyone who teaches in/sends their children to/was educated themselves at state schools is necessarily against independent education.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Something I've always wondered about this show - perhaps citizen 56 might be able to answer....do the participants have to keep in touch with the programme makers, so that the makers can easily get in touch with them when it comes to filming? Or is the onus on the makers to search out the participants?

When Neil was homeless, I can't imagine that he kept people updated as to his whereabouts (sometimes even he probably didn't know where he would be when it became time to film).

They had a gps implant put inside them at 7 and that is activated every 7 years so they be found easily;)
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember hearing about one of the earlier programmes that when they were trying to make contact for the next update, there was a fear for a while that one of the participants might have died. It was never said who this was, but Neil would seem to be the most obvious candidate. I'm pretty sure it was the one when Neil was living in a caravan.

Of-course this might have been a bit of sub-standard journalism - which was less common then than now but still quite possible! No idea how near to the truth it was.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't worth starting a new thread, but I just caught up with the Russian 28 Up today.

Wow, what a contrast with our 28 Up and higher!

The majority of the children seemed unhappy with their lives today.

The man from Kyrgyzstan seemed the most miserable, he felt he had to move to Russia to work but hated it and both he and his wife worked incredibly long hours.

Then Andrei who was adopted by an American family following 7 Up. His adoptive mother changed her mind! He was then adopted again and seemed to have had a more settled tim but he refused to say much in the programme and was considering moving back to Russia.

The lady who had been forced to leave her daughter with her parents so she could work. The twins still bickering as adults! One was unemployed.

The only happy, settled ones seemed to be the man who was a deputy magazine editor and the lady who was (I think) an architect.

It was also surprising that at the age of 7 the children seemed to be very politically aware! Maybe it was because it was a time of great change in Russia and politics were discussed at home.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this programme and probably always have...

They are a little older than me but it's close enough to mirror my own life and so very poignant for me as I've basically grown up with them.

Looking forward to 63 up, sort of :eek: