Donation for rescue animal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
Forum Member
I got a cat from a rescue centre last week, I was told the cat was friendly, litter trained and used to people. When I got the cat home it was skittish, terrified of people and unable to manage the litter tray. I've tried to work with the cat all week but I feel it's getting worse.

The rescue centre have agreed to have the cat back but refuse to refund the £75 donation I paid for him (fair enough) they then said they had some kittens which are ready to be rehomed next week and said one of those would be more suitable for me, great I thought, they then said it would be another £75 to have a kitten.

Are they being unreasonable? Is this how rescue centres usually work? I was told fibs about the cats personality which was unfair.

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    The cat may have seemed fine in the home tbf. It could have been the travelling and a new home that set it off. TBH while I think refusing to refund your 'donation' is maybe a bit rough but understandable I wouldn't expect you to have to pay again for the kitten and would have thought a straight swap was the done thing. Do they want people to go to them to take these animals in or not? IMO it's not on to demand another donation. If they asked if you would that would be different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem to be a bit off. Still, you haven't had the cat for that long. I'm sure some animals haven't been treated very well previously or they just mightn't adapt to change easily. Can you not give the cat a bit more time to settle in?
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about the habits of cats (nor do I wish to) but it seems to me a week is a very short time for it to adapt having come into and out of a rescue centre.

And tbh if that's all the patience you have with an animal i would doubt you should be having one...how long are you going to give the kitten before you want a refund on that.?
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had our new dog in the house for 10 weeks now- and even now I will freely admit she's not settled down properly.
    It can take some animals along time to get used to a new environment. They need to get used to you as well. I would give it at least 3 more weeks before taking her back.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 week! you've not given it much of a chance. A cat needs longer to adapt and trust its new owner. Perhaps it was neglected or abused by a previous owner. I feel so bad for it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the exact same thing happened to me but i was told a blatant lie that the cat was a house cat which it clearly wasnt and whe i spoke to them they said that cat is 100% not a house cat and the volunteer told me incorrect info. No refund for my 90£ donation and the two bags full of brand new cat food, litter, etc etc was given to them and i didnt even get a thank u!
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non rescue animals take a month or three to settle properly into a new home, let alone a rescue one.

We always say with horses that it takes a good 6 months for them to settle in and form a good relationship with the new owner.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I know your mind is probably set but please give this cat a chance.. I've got a rescue dog and she was so terrified of me she literally wet herself when I looked at her. It took her almost 8 months now she's a beautiful settled loving little dog.

Time, patience and love is all you need. Build up the trust and you'll have a beautiful pet