ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevie67 wrote: »
    But havent ITV done the same after they removed childrens programming from their afternoon schedule as well. Havent they also put on downmarket populist gameshows as well. I
    Keep up - that was about 6 years ago. :)
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    The success of Mrs Browns boys, Benidorm, Citizen Khan and Miranda shows that viewers at home often like comedies which have loud, wacky, crazy characters. Protagonists who swear or do stupid things. The characters of Great night out and Me and Mrs Jones are too normal. Even though the lines, acting and humour is decent, its not escapist viewing like the other shows.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from Corrie I very rarely watch ITV.
  • stevie67stevie67 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    bgtension wrote: »
    Apart from Corrie I very rarely watch ITV.
    I dont watch itv that much. There was a time long before unification in 2004 that itv used to be on all the time. But things have gone downhill that much that i rarely watch it and to be honest i wouldnt miss it if it wasnt around. In my honest opinion itv should look back and see what served them well in the past
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV - what channel number is that again?
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 points friday nights great night out was up against a big final of a big seasonal event which has been happenign on channel 5 for the last fortnight of course that will rate higher than a comedy on itv. in terms of comedy turkeys and failures from the bbc did they not also do the royal bodyguard starring david jason which rated awfully and was critically panned as well, but me and mrs jones akes two then and there are others on with saturday night thne now we have clarified those points.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    friday nights great night out was up against a big final of a big seasonal event which has been happenign on channel 5 for the last fortnight of course that will rate higher than a comedy on itv.

It was not so long ago that the very idea anything on Channel 5 could beat a new primetime ITV comedy drama would be unthinkable - that's how low expectations of ITV have sunk.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The success of Mrs Browns boys, Benidorm, Citizen Khan and Miranda shows that viewers at home often like comedies which have loud, wacky, crazy characters. Protagonists who swear or do stupid things. The characters of Great night out and Me and Mrs Jones are too normal. Even though the lines, acting and humour is decent, its not escapist viewing like the other shows.

While the characters are normal the situations they find themselves in tend not to be. Maybe that's the problem - viewers can't link relatively ordinary characters getting stuck in ludicrous situations; you need over the top characters to buy into the scenarios which crop up in the plot.

Saying that, I thought the storyline for week one was fine. Last week wasn't very good though; I haven't had the chance to watch last night's yet but going by the ITV trailer it's not going to improve on that front.
    Forum Member
    Bad ratings at Itv yesterday, Splash down once again and this time below 5million. Take Me Out plumetted below 4mill.

Splash just like Mr Selfridges and Great night out has lost viewers every single week.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad ratings at Itv yesterday, Splash down once again and this time below 5million. Take Me Out plumetted below 4mill.

Splash just like Mr Selfridges and Great night out has lost viewers every single week.

Splash got 5.1m. Take Me Out got 4.2m, so you are wrong. There is no point in excluding +1 figures when looking at ITV's numbers in isolation. It just screams desperation.

Everything was down across both channels last night so I see no reason to single out those two when one of BBC1's shows fell below 2 million.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was predicting a Splash Bash from Samuel. Of course it won its entire slot, audience total and share grew though out its slot and its demos will beat the BBC's by s country mile, but still Samuel isn't happy. Apparently it's got no competition and the critics don't like it. Both of these claims are false I say. :D
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would you care care to comment on the news that BBC1 only had a 10% share of the viewing audience between 6-7pm last night, an absolutely dreadful share for Hammond's Secret Service. The Six Nations can't come soon enough for BBC1. Britain's Brightest and Animal Antics also plummeted and ITV won every slot up until 8.15pm last night, on a disappointing night for both main channels.

In other news, episode 2 of Great Night Out has consolidated to over 4 million in the official ratings, so not that bad really.
    Forum Member
    Britains Brightest is a highly "intelligent gameshow" according to Danny cohen which is difficult to follow therefore it has low ratings. It wasnt made to get big audiences, it is made for the quality and the critical acclaim. Secret Service is a twist on an old format, it hasnt worked out, but it is getting similar ratings to Fool britannia prank show on Itv. BBC1 output yesterday had wider range of genres and therefore they still won peak time with ease.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member

First of all, spell ITV properly. Secondly, as mentioned, Splash still got 5.1m. Yes, it is down week-on-week but perhaps it didn't seem as cold as previous weeks. We should see a rise for the final. These aren't bad ratings - just under-par if you like.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Would you care care to comment on the news that BBC1 only had a 10% share of the viewing audience between 6-7pm last night, an absolutely dreadful share for Hammond's Secret Service. The Six Nations can't come soon enough for BBC1. Britain's Brightest and Animal Antics also plummeted and ITV won every slot up until 8.15pm last night, on a disappointing night for both main channels.

In other news, episode 2 of Great Night Out has consolidated to over 4 million in the official ratings, so not that bad really.

It had below 10% the week before, but with a higher figure (over 2m). Ep 2 of Great Night Out, was that the one which got below 3m in the overnights?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britains Brightest is a highly "intelligent gameshow" according to Danny cohen which is difficult to follow therefore it has low ratings. It wasnt made to get big audiences, it is made for the quality and the critical acclaim. Secret Service is a twist on an old format, it hasnt worked out, but it is getting similar ratings to Fool britannia prank show on Itv. BBC1 output yesterday had wider range of genres and therefore they still won peak time with ease.

People aren't watching Britain's Brightest becasue it's crap, not because it is a 'highly intelligent gameshow' which it isn't. If you want one of those watch Only Connect or University Challenge. If it was made for quality and critical acclaim then it has failed on both of those accounts as the critics don't seem to like it and the 'online gameshow community' as you have referred to it in the past have slagged it off for a poor scoring system and the unfair allocation of different skills in each week's show. It's a bit of a bust with rubbish demos - I'll be very surprised if it returns as it is now rating lower than The Magicians did last year and that got axed.

Secret Service 'hasn't worked out' - you can say that again! If it was on ITV we wouldn't hear the last of it from you/ Also I'm pretty sure that Fool Britannia never went below 2m, unlike Secret Service. Who cares if they had a wider range of genres if most of the shows were rubbish? You just move the goalposts whenever it suits you, which has made you become something of a laughing stock.
    Forum Member
    Overall, BBC One reigned victorious in primetime with 19.7%, ahead of ITV's 17.7% (+1: 1%).

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s18/casualty/news/a454115/casualty-tops-saturday-night-ratings-with-51m.html#ixzz2JAkGPR9c
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall, BBC One reigned victorious in primetime with 19.7%, ahead of ITV's 17.7% (+1: 1%).

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s18/casualty/news/a454115/casualty-tops-saturday-night-ratings-with-51m.html#ixzz2JAkGPR9c
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Those shares really don't tell the full story though. For a start they don't include the Secret Service/You've Been Framed clash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wider range of genres - boring, crap, intelligence insulting, tired old drama, man dressed up in a woman in a ripoff of a 1970's sitcom - cant believe they aren't sued for stealing other writers gags btw. Yup it's a wider range all right.
    Forum Member
    I think Itv wouldve liked Splash to stay over 5million excluding +1. When the press are informed about the ratings falling, it just doesnt look as good having 4.X compared to 5.X even if there is only 300k in it compared to last week.

Splash couldve been bigger if they had a better format. Seven competitive dives in 90minutes is just not enough. On the US version of Splash coming soon they will have 10 celebs competing from week one. They will do synchronised dives from near the start of the series instead of just the final. Also they are in a bigger arena and seems like a more quality production.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Wider range of genres - boring, crap, intelligence insulting, tired old drama, man dressed up in a woman in a ripoff of a 1970's sitcom - cant believe they aren't sued for stealing other writers gags btw. Yup it's a wider range all right.

They started the night with a man dressed up as a dog and ended it with a man dressed up as a woman. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    They started the night with a man dressed up as a dog and ended it with a man dressed up as a woman. :)

Classic :D
    Forum Member
    4.2pct for Itv3 yesterday, is this a record?

Proof that viewers like classic quality programs from Itv. They should show dramas on Itv1 on saturday nights.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITVs problem is they think it's 1975, when anything would get an audience.

BBCs problem is they think their competition is ITV.

So BBC/ITV are in a losers bronze medal fight while the gold/silver is going elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    ITVs problem is they think it's 1975, when anything would get an audience.

BBCs problem is they think their competition is ITV.

So BBC/ITV are in a losers bronze medal fight while the gold/silver is going elsewhere.

So who is this mystery channel that is getting higher ratings than BBC1 and itv?