Options

Big Protest in London this Saturday - men not allowed

Comments

• Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I can understand that some vulnerable women might feel uncomfortable about marching with men, but frankly they will be marching past an audience of men so I am unsure this is a good enough reason for the exclusion.

Domestic violence happens to men as well, and women commit DV against other women as well (as I know from personal experience).

Marching against violence is laudable, but I really fail to see why men are excluded. Not only can men be victims, but they can be the loved ones of women who are as well - fathers, brothers and new partners too. I think it would have more impact to see how many men there are who abhor violence as much as any of these women and march against all DV etc..
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    So what will happen if men do decide to turn up with their other halves or just on their own because they want to support victims of violence??

You will probably get beat up.

Men should not be excluded. The more people that turn up, the more power the message will have. Excluding half(ish) the population is not the way to go.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    You will probably get beat up.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getthebloodyironingdone.com
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Crikey, imagine the stink of all the unwashed ladygardens on that march.

Why do they have 'unwashed ladygardens'? What a stupid thing to say.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Men should not be excluded. The more people that turn up, the more power the message will have. Excluding half(ish) the population is not the way to go.

I agree with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an interesting omission. In terms of vulnerability I would think both genders would be equal at that age.

I dont think the message is about child abuse as such, its about abuse within relationships.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh at this one line from their list of what men can do to support the march.
    Ask your sports team to hold a two minute silence

It would be like if a men-only march said that women could still support them by making sure their dinner was on the table when they got home.

Talk about playing to a stereotype!
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Why would any man want to be part of stupid marches like this anyway?
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Why would any man want to be part of stupid marches like this anyway?

I do. I bet a few of them will be gagging for it by the end of the day.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet they're all feminists.

How cute. :p
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old oppressed men. I'm going to the football, I expect there will be plenty of women there.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Poor old oppressed men. I'm going to the football, I expect there will be plenty of women there.

Well I don't think women should be allowed to go to football matches.

They should "respect men's spaces to meet, discuss, and organise"

Also they can show their suppport to their favourite team by babysitting children while their dad, brother, or son attends the match.

And of course they are welcome to make a financial donation to help meet the cost of their male relatives match tickets...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Well I don't think women should be allowed to go to football matches.

They should "respect men's spaces to meet, discuss, and organise"

Also they can show their suppport to their favourite team by babysitting children while their dad, brother, or son attends the match.

And of course they are welcome to make a financial donation to help meet the cost of their male relatives match tickets...

:rolleyes:

...or they could always do something positive like protest againt male violence within relationships. Its much harder for a man to seek help and it is a genuine issue for many men. Probably more than the statistics suggest.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I bet they're all feminists.

How cute. :p

Don't really understand this comment. My girlfriend is a feminist and so am I. Surely, you are too? Because being a feminist means you believe in equal rights for men and women, which I do and most other sane people in the world do.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So all the men BAWWWing about being left out- when ARE they going to have their own march, or organise an inclusive one? Or can they not be arsed? These things don't just happen, you know. If it bothers you that much that there isn't one then organise the bloody thing. You know, like these women did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just waiting for the old 'race for life' thing to rear it's head.
  • Options
    thryberghthrybergh Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Don't really understand this comment. My girlfriend is a feminist and so am I. Surely, you are too? Because being a feminist means you believe in equal rights for men and women, which I do and most other sane people in the world do.

If it really is all about equality, why do we say "feminist" instead of "humanist"?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thrybergh wrote: »
    If it really is all about equality, why do we say "feminist" instead of "humanist"?

Well, humanists have already bagsied "humanist", apart from anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

because it was the feminists not the humanists who fought for equality.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the issue being addressed is, mainly, the idea and practice of male supremacy and the feminist movement came from that.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Taglet wrote: »
    because it was the feminists not the humanists who fought for equality.

Yes, I think it's more to do with historical reasons when women were seen as lesser mortals and their uprising began. But it's a tangent really, I am still yet to hear, 3 pages in, of a good reason why men can not go on this march (though I have read several reasons why they should be allowed)
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I wasn't saying they weren't any, just replying to someone who seemed to be saying there weren't any male only ones so your tit for tat and search was a waste of time.
    Yep same as "International Women's Day", The W.I. etc equality only working one way.

As you could see, for instance, I did not deny the WI existed.