Was the 1920's IRA different to the IRA in the 1970's

123457»

Comments

• Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    It would seem though that you opinion is that the IRA were great people and sure they were only fighting for our freedom.

A lot of things were done on both side and they will all have to answer for it someday.

Anyone who plants a bomb in a busy market street, at a remembrance day service, a van load of workers coming home from a day's work, or on the other side Loyalist opening fire in a busy pub or the dreadful crimes of the Shankill Butchers are not heros and in no way should be held up as such.
    Could you please show me exactly where I have ever said the IRA of the 1960s- were fighting for "our Freedom" and were all good and great.
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Could you please show me exactly where I have ever said the IRA of the 1960s- were fighting for "our Freedom" and were all good and great.

Then my mistake. So you don't think that!!
  • Options
    Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, education means nothing!!!

When you have walked passed a Car Bomb and there for grace of God it didnt go off there and then, but did half and hour after that then you can come here and have an proper opinion.

IF is right though. We are all entitled to opinions on any subject. Of course, how much weight others attach to those opinions is up to them.

Just because we may have more direct experience of the Troubles doesn't mean others aren't entitled to their say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then my mistake. So you don't think that!!
    Of course not! ... while I do question the inputting of everything the IRA did/the reasons they did it into the history books as being totally and utterly wrong... how they hell could you think I condoned innocent men, women and children being killed in the name of "Irish unity"? ... Fcuk Irish unity if innocent people get killed on both sides....
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not! ... while I do question the inputting of everything the IRA did/the reasons they did it into the history books as being totally and utterly wrong... how they hell could you think I condoned innocent men, women and children being killed in the name of "Irish unity"? ... Fcuk Irish unity if innocent people get killed on both sides....

Then I apologise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then I apologise.
    Apology Accepted :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is an Irish patriot (as was DeValera) and was a fine Corkman - you go to Glasnevin Cemetery to his grave and you will see new fresh flowers at his grave every single day of the year in respect for the man.

His death was a tragedy for the Irish nation - simple as that.

After the Easter rising DeValera squealed that he was an American to avoid being shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    After the Easter rising DeValera squealed that he was an American to avoid being shot.
    Wouldn't you let them know you were born in New York if you knew it might save your life?
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Collins and Val missed the deadline to being shot by 2 weeks. DeValera was very much a coward for squealing he's American when true Irish beside him were getting shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    Collins and Val missed the deadline to being shot by 2 weeks. DeValera was very much a coward for squealing he's American when true Irish beside him were getting shot.
    It was widely known at the time I assume anyway and London was never going to risk the Americans becoming involved in Ireland's cause.
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I'm from NI but only have family connections with the old 1920's IRA, it's a complicated matter, most people here wouldn't view the more recent IRA in a good light but would have a lot of respect for the 1981 hunger strikers, 1920's IRA are always viewed as heroes but you have to wonder, if those men from the 20's were young in the 70's wouldn't they have been the lot planting bombs around places.