Options

Anyone Recommend A Really Compulsve Sci Fi or Fantasy Novel/Series?

HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm in the mood for some sci-fi/future dystopia. Really loved 'Wool' last year and will be getting his other 2 books. But I fancy being immersed in a new world - either sci fi or fantasy. Esp with the current series of 'Game of Thrones' coming to an end soon on TV. (I love G o T and have read all the books).

My son is a big fan of Iain Banks - but where to start? And any other writers who make really immersive, compelling worlds, that you'd recommend?

Comments

• Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I'm in the mood for some sci-fi/future dystopia. Really loved 'Wool' last year and will be getting his other 2 books. But I fancy being immersed in a new world - either sci fi or fantasy. Esp with the current series of 'Game of Thrones' coming to an end soon on TV. (I love G o T and have read all the books).

My son is a big fan of Iain Banks - but where to start? And any other writers who make really immersive, compelling worlds, that you'd recommend?

Sci-fi etc I would really recommend Michael Marshall Smith if you haven't already

Fantasy - from my recent post in wayratm:
    I'm currently about 1/3 way through The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first in a trilogy with the last slightly worryingly yet to be completed.

I can't remember how this book got on my Kindle, I started reading it quite aimlessly really as I wasn't getting in to the book I had been reading.

Really pleased I did, what a great story about a great story!

Superbly written and different in a way I can't quite put my finger on from the norm in these fantasy fiction type books..

Wheel of Time series is more along the lines of GoT, good at the beginning, gets bogged down in the middle but good at the end (14 books IIRC)

I've read the first couple of Raymond Feists' Magician series and that was pretty good, seems a bit of a sprawling set of books so I haven't got round to working out which is the next book to read yet..
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Dark Eden by Chris Beckett was very good. It's a stand-alone book, not part of a series. 163 years ago Tommy and Angela were stranded on Eden, this is the story of their 532 descendants.

So far as dystopia goes, I enjoyed Oryx and Crake/The Year of the Flood/ Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson was published in the 1970s I read the books in the 80s and thought that they were great, but they may seem a bit dated nowadays.

I keep meaning to read Wool but haven't got round to it yet. Too many Kindle daily deals to get through!
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a huge series,but John Varley's 'Gaia Trilogy' is
    a gem.Comprising the books 'Titan,'Wizard' & 'Demon'
    it's 'another world' (sort of) saga which I have re-read
    a few times now. Varley wrote a short story called 'Air
    Raid'. He was asked to extend the plot into a screenplay
    which he did,as 'Millenium'.He then wrote the book of
    his own screenplay,and the original 'Air Raid' Story appears
    as a single chapter of the book! I consider that very good
    writing and organising,and would suggest that if you like
    the 'Gaia' trilogy,you give 'Millenium' a go as well. Not in
    any way connected,but still good works by a sometimes
    ignored writer!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Belgariad series by David Eddings.

The Time of the Dark series by Barbara Hambly.

The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. The Dwellers being one of the funniest characters ever created.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin, the first two parts of a trilogy, I think the third part is out in October.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the ideas so far - they all sound great. Son 2 has The Name of The Wind on Audible, and he loves it too. So may give that a go as well as something on the Kindle... Just fancy something really immersive.

Another incomplete (I think?) series he has on Audible is The Blade Itself - anyone read that?

Keep the ideas coming as this is really useful to have. I always get overwhelmed in bookshops, and am buying more and more on the Kindle. People's recommendations always seem better than random things I stumble across so this is appreciated.:)
  • Options
    ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson was published in the 1970s I read the books in the 80s and thought that they were great, but they may seem a bit dated nowadays.

I didn't find them at all dated and read the series from the beginning within the last few years. Excellent series! Perhaps you're not aware that he has only just finished writing the series within the last couple of years, with four more books having been written after the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Another series that I suggest for the OP if you haven't tried them is Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy. I found them an absolutely enthralling series and have just done a complete re-read.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Farseer Trilogy and the Thomas The Covenant series are must reads for any fantasy fan, i would add The Saga Of The Exiles by Julian May and The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula Le Guin as a must read as well. The Justin Cronin and Patrick Rothruss series you may be better off waiting until the final parts are finished.

The Helliconia Trilogy by Brian Aldis is my number one (sci-fi) fantasy book though!!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Ken Macleod's "Fall Revolution" series (The Star Fraction, The Stone Canal, The Cassini Division, The Sky Road). Also from him check out The Execution Channel which is one of my favourite books.

Not so much dystopian but all Iain M. Banks' sci-fi efforts are immense - the Culture ones in particular but if you're looking for something a bit less utopian and a bit more dystopian try Against A Dark Background.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Sci-fi etc I would really recommend Michael Marshall Smith if you haven't already

I would give another vote to Michael marshall smith

spares and only forward were really good imo

he does the same sort of thing as iain banks as he also writes contemporary thrillers under just the name Michael marshall , he has a series of books that starts of with "the straw men"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member

You can't go wrong with this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K31WE78?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Fast moving, gripping, Loved it!
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain M Banks Player of Games for some emotive dystopia.

Just any Iain M Banks book really.

For something with a bit of 17th/18th Century NatPhil/Fi I recommend without reservation the Neal A Stephenson trilogy The Baroque Cycle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks for these. Where to start! Loads of recommendations look interesting!
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George R. R. Martin's "Wild Cards" series and just about any of his SF stories. All of which are better than anything written since his unfortunate but no doubt profitable, detour into long-winded fanasy.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    A vote for Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy from me - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18116.His_Dark_Materials
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SF-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Asher#Works

Adventures in the Polity universe. Contains a cast of cantankerous charaters, not always human including Sniper, the war drone with attitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_F._Hamilton#Prominent_books

Ranges from near-future with the Mandel books to far future. I really liked Fallen Dragon with it's take on the challenges of interstellar commerce and asset stripping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Morgan_%28author%29#Takeshi_Kovacs_novels

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Reynolds#Bibliography

If you like Iain M. Banks (RIP) books, you'll probably enjoy those. Also really liked-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_%28Andy_Weir%29

although it may put you off potatoes. Apparently been optioned for a film, so hope that manages to capture the humour.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Along with Banks, Richard Morgan (Takeshi Kovacs series) and Michael Marshall Smith mentioned above, I would add China Mieville, especially the Bas-Lag series. IIRC, Perdido Street Station had a very mixed response on here when read by the Book Club, but I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another incomplete (I think?) series he has on Audible is The Blade Itself - anyone read that?

Yes, it's very good. I haven't read ASOIAF but I imagine it's very similar in tone. Certainly from watching Game of Thrones there are some similar themes. The first two thirds of the first book are slowish, setting the scene, but from then on it's constantly good with no filler.

(The Blade itself is the first book in the First Law trilogy, which is completed)
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a fantasy series I'd suggest.

1) China Mieville's Bas-lag trilogy. At last, fantasy that isn't Dark Ages/Mediaeval Europe/Renaissance Europe! :)

2) Joe Abercrombie's series that started off with the First Law trilogy. A definite lack of shining heroes, but very few out and out villains, mainly just various shades of extremely murky grey. And it must be the first series since Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun that has a torturer as one of the main characters, and a very interesting character he is too.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Scott Lynch. start with The Lies of Lock Lamora.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Try Scott Lynch. start with The Lies of Lock Lamora.

I've just finished those, and they were fantastic. I haven't laughed out loud at a book since I read my last Terry Pratchett, but they don't compare at all. I'm so happy I found them (after a recommendation on here) but very sad the next one's not out yet. :D
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun that has a torturer as one of the main characters, and a very interesting character he is too.

a legion in his own lifetime..:D

Weird books but strangely compulsive and bewildering.
  • Options
    SkeatsSkeats Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed "Kingdom for Sale - Sold" by Terry Brookes when it first came out and then he added five books to what became the "Magic Kingdom of Landover" series of 6 books. One of the gentler fantasy series as a rest from blood and gore!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrs hog. you are a clever girl. just get these. great sf, rather than fantasy

james tiptree jr. ten thousand light years from home
    ra lafferty. 900 grandmothers
    john brunner - the shockwave rider
    joe haldemann - the forever war
    norman spinrad - bug jack barron

everything by Philip dick
    everything by Robert Heinlein
    everything by larry niven.

loads of other stuff too, but they will keep you going.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    The newish Expanse series of novels by James S. A. Corey (pen name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) beginning with Leviathan Wakes, is a good page turning series. It's hard sci-fi set in our solar system and so has modern ideas of near future space tech, planetary science and bio-engineering.