Hirsty leaves the Captial Breakfast Show.

Comments

• BrownBearGangBrownBearGang Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    It'll all make sense soon enough.

Nonetheless, how many other presenters will be as successful as he has been? All of today's opportunities are taken by C lister's from TV or presenters already working at other radio stations.

He'll be remembered for a long time.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    He'll be remembered for a long time.

No he won't.

He's one of the best presenters in the country without a doubt and industry folk will remember him for a long time but stations like Capital are aimed at young folk so pretty soon there'll be a whole new generation of listeners coming through who think their current breakfast show is the best one ever. That;s the way it should be and it usually is.

Listeners are very loyal to a presenter but also very fickle, they forget very quickly.
  • podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Blummin awful he isn't coming back for a last week. 11 years as a loyal listener and I don't even get the opportunity to say goodbye :(
  • RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see why he has been removed from the Gold website now!!! i will miss his saturday show on Gold the only thing worth tuning in for,
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There aren't many things that surprise me in the radio world these days, but that has. Also, he should have been able to say on air that he was off after such a long time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    He's been erased by Global, from Gold and Capital, effective immediately. This suggests they are not happy and he's going to a competitor.

Networked Bauer show? I can't see him moving from Yorkshire. Is this the start of the long anticipated Bauer network earthquake?
  • RobertSterlingRobertSterling Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    An interesting one this, particularly with the recent changes at breakfast at The Pulse in Bradford.

With Adam O'Neill taking over Capital breakfast it'll be a change from the 'shouty' nature of Simon whereas The Pulse have now gone for that very same style. Maybe (and this is pure speculation, of course!) Capital have decided that that particular brand of radio has had it's day and it's time for something fresh.

Maybe (speculation once again!) the management at The Pulse had a heads up of the impending changes at Capital and spotted an opportunity to grab a slice of Simon's audience.

One post on here has suggested that he's has signed up to a competitor which makes sense in announcing his departure after his last show. Why are stations afraid of letting presenters continue on air even if they're heading to pastures new?

Anyway, good luck to him, 11 years is a long stint in the same role, nice to get a fresh perspective every now and again!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He’s certainly one of the few (relatively) well known DJs that hasn’t hosted a radio show in London (if you don’t count his time on the networked Hot40UK). Nearly all well known DJs either do national shows or London shows these days.

This all sounds very similar to what Capital London did with Johnny Vaughn, removing a popular established breakfast DJ still performing well in the ratings, without giving them the chance to have a send off or even announce their exit on the air. And, I suspect in both cases, all because they felt like the DJ didn’t fit in with the image they wanted the station to have, despite being popular with listeners (but maybe the wrong type of ones).

My guess is that this wasn’t Hirsty’s decision, but I could be wrong.
  • podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I think it may have been given the "difficult year" quote.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    So that's Simon Hirst and Dave Brown disappearing from Global stations without trace this week. Two of the best presenters they have.

Whose next?
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    A genuine radio talent.

Hope to hear you somewhere else soon Hirsty.:(
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    This all sounds very similar to what Capital London did with Johnny Vaughn, removing a popular established breakfast DJ still performing well in the ratings, without giving them the chance to have a send off or even announce their exit on the air. And, I suspect in both cases, all because they felt like the DJ didn’t fit in with the image they wanted the station to have, despite being popular with listeners (but maybe the wrong type of ones).

I think the Johnny Vaughn situation was very different if what I heard at the time is true. Johnny was removed for very good reasons and I'd imagine the reason for Hirsty leaving is very very different.
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    I see why he has been removed from the Gold website now!!! i will miss his saturday show on Gold the only thing worth tuning in for,

Ditto, gutted. He should have been moved over to Gold. Global whats wrong with you?
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read it.

' It's been personally hard for the last 12 months' Might have known for the last 12 months? Might be personal? Might be offered something else where? Bauer
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll all make sense soon enough.

will it make absolute sense?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Well, it is Global. The same radio group that Andi Durrant left through his own personal choice last year.
  • norderneynorderney Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he finished his show on Gold last week he said how much he enjoyed doing the show, and how he wished it was a bit longer and he would be back next week. Such a shame. His show on Gold was very good.

I see from Gold's schedule that The Music Maration replaces his show. More non stop music !!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    norderney wrote: »
    When he finished his show on Gold last week he said how much he enjoyed doing the show, and how he wished it was a bit longer and he would be back next week. Such a shame. His show on Gold was very good.

I see from Gold's schedule that The Music Maration replaces his show. More non stop music !!!!!!!

Why dont Global just give up and hand it over to Magic AM?
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    norderney wrote: »

And yet, his final Capital show was on the Friday.

As you say, there was no indication at the end of Saturday's GOLD show that he wouldn't be returning, so it looks like "the decision" (whoever made it) was made sometime between 4pm on Saturday and the breakfast show on Monday?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Why dont Global just give up and hand it over to Magic AM?

Yeah, that's a good idea. A business just handing over its assets to a commercial competitor...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a good idea. A business just handing over its assets to a commercial competitor...

Grow up, its not contractual just a comment based on the state of play.
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see where he goes next I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the Heart Breakfast Show in Yorkshire in a couple of Months & I do think that the Pulse may have known about this as Hirsty is the Agent for Danny Mylo who is now on Breakfast
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I think the Johnny Vaughn situation was very different if what I heard at the time is true. Johnny was removed for very good reasons and I'd imagine the reason for Hirsty leaving is very very different.

Really, what did you hear, allegedly of course?
    I heard Vaughn, despite hosting the most listened breakfast show in London at the time, wasn't the image Global wanted Capital to have (to male, too old) so didn't renew his contract.
  • BrownBearGangBrownBearGang Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    will it make absolute sense?

Absolutely, entirely and completely. But it's not an Absolute Radio hint there.

It's not for me to say anything at all. I just don't want the usual crap that you get on here fanning the flames.

Any suggestions he'll be on air elsewhere next week are nonsense.

Please remember when speculating about people's lives that they're human and have feelings. Just because of their position in the industry, it doesn't make them immune to pain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, entirely and completely. But it's not an Absolute Radio hint there.

It's not for me to say anything at all. I just don't want the usual crap that you get on here fanning the flames.

Any suggestions he'll be on air elsewhere next week are nonsense.

Please remember when speculating about people's lives that they're human and have feelings. Just because of their position in the industry, it doesn't make them immune to pain.

I'm sure whatever his decision is was discussed at great length in the comfort of his own front room with the people that matter.