Anyone ever been on Lansoprazole?

Comments

• MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on them to combat acid reflux associated with a hiatus hernia. They do work - i've had no problems on them.

The blood test you have been asked to go for it the symptoms persist will probably be for helicobacter pylori

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobacter_pylori

If you are diagnosed with that - your doctor will put you on a course of antibiotics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    H- I started taking these tablets on Wednesday (30mg once a day). I had an edoscopy on Tuesday which found mild oesophagitis, a small 2cm sliding hiatus hernia, small antral erosions and mild erythema. I go back to see the consultant on Wednesday to get more info and to get the results of a biopsy to see if I have the h pylori bacteria.

The day after starting the tablets I started feeling quite unwell - I wondered if I was coming down with my OH's cold but things haven't developed that way so I wonder if it is the tablets. I no longer feel sick but I am headachy and my throat feels dry and coated. Or it might be from the tube from the endoscopy though I would have thought that wouldn't be a problem almost a week on. Has anyone else had this?
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    I have been on them daily for years following a relux diagnosis.

If I forget to take one I start to get symptoms very quickly.

I have had no recognisable side effects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Yes, daily Lansoprazole here, following chemo and radiotherapy.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Omeprazole daily for nearly 5 years now. I have a hiatus hernia, reflux disease and Barretts Oesophagus. At the time of diagnosis I also tested positive for Helicobactor Pylori.
    At first I thought the Omeprazloe had made me gain weight but they haven't. It's just that I can eat better now. Some days I used to feel so sick I couldn't eat but as long as I take my daily tablet I can eat ok so I look much healthier now.I have endoscopies every 2 years for surveillance of the Barrets Oesaphagus, next one due in a few months time so hoping all is ok.
  • JisubaJisuba Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been prescribed them yesterday following the discovery of a large gall stone during a scan at my A&E yesterday,
    I've been given so much medication - Lansoprazole 30mb clarithromycin 500mg (an antiobotic) and hyoscine butylybromide 10 mg (for IBS)
    I have been in such pain for 4 days now and they sent me home from hospital without really explaining why I need so much medication.
    I just want to be able to function.
    I have no heartburn or sickness etc just this dreadful abdominal pain.
    Any ideas guys??
  • buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to res an old post, but i have had heartburn for a week now and went to the doctors and i have tenderness in stomach area, does this mean she thinks i have an ulcer?

should i be worried?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jisuba wrote: »
    I have been prescribed them yesterday following the discovery of a large gall stone during a scan at my A&E yesterday,
    I've been given so much medication - Lansoprazole 30mb clarithromycin 500mg (an antiobotic) and hyoscine butylybromide 10 mg (for IBS)
    I have been in such pain for 4 days now and they sent me home from hospital without really explaining why I need so much medication.
    Any ideas guys??

I spent ten days in hospital earlier this year after one of my gallstones escaped. I'm awaiting surgery to remove the gallbladder but there are reasons holding it up (too complicated to go into).

I presume the long-term aim is for your gall bladder to be removed? You can live well without it.

They won't consider doing the surgery until you are completely free of infection. I sympathise with the pain - it's bloody awful. Keep taking the pills and it'll fade in time.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes i agree with all the posts generally. i have been on Omeprazole for years, before that i have been on liquid anti-acid relief, and various other anti-acid tabs, since i was 16 many many years ago,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kays_dad wrote: »
    I've been on Omeprazole (which I guess is basically the same thing under a different brand name as the "prazole" bit of the name is the same?) for heartburn for two months.

And it's great .. I have not had a problem at all in that time.

im on this for stomach acid relfux and it has worked wonders! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jisuba wrote: »
    Any ideas guys??

omg im sorry to hear this :(. i too had gallstones and i went on every stomach medicine. the best thing to do is get it removed asap and get some strong pain killers for your attacks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had them for acid reflux, they don't cure it just make it a bit better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    sorry to resurect this old thread, but I've just been prescribed Lansoprazole 30mg and now I'm even more nauseous that I was before I started taking them (and also have the dry mouth)... did anybody else experienced this?

Also, to the poster who commented about her father clearing his nose very frequently, can I ask how was this related to his stomach?... It's just that I do that as well and wondered.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Ask for an anti-emetic like Metaclopromide or Domperidone to go with them. Lansoprazole is a PPI which reduces stomach acid production, I don't remember seeing nausea listed as one of the side effects, but it might be.
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried a variety of PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). My advice to anyone is don't take them. They have nasty, nasty side effects, read the information leaflet you get. They ultimately make your heartburn worse. Ask to be referred to the reflux clinic at the hospital.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to resurect this old thread, but I've just been prescribed Lansoprazole 30mg and now I'm even more nauseous that I was before I started taking them (and also have the dry mouth)... did anybody else experienced this?

Also, to the poster who commented about her father clearing his nose very frequently, can I ask how was this related to his stomach?... It's just that I do that as well and wondered.

Thanks.

It's reflux that causes you to clear your nose. That's acid that comes from your stomach right up into your nasal passages. Ask to be referred to a reflux clinic at the hospital.
    Forum Member
    joules22 wrote: »
    I've tried a variety of PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). My advice to anyone is don't take them. They have nasty, nasty side effects, read the information leaflet you get. They ultimately make your heartburn worse. Ask to be referred to the reflux clinic at the hospital.

Maybe for some, but not for me. Been on Lansoprazole for over 3 years now, with no side effects and will be on them for life - not having an Oesophagus or much of a stomach anymore.

I find your wide-ranging dismissal of the positive benefits of PPIs very disturbing - you should not apply your personal experience or prejudices to everyone's situation, you should know better at your age..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Maybe for some, but not for me. Been on Lansoprazole for over 3 years now, with no side effects and will be on them for life - not having an Oesophagus or much of a stomach anymore.

I find your wide-ranging dismissal of the positive benefits of PPIs very disturbing - you should not apply your personal experience or prejudices to everyone's situation, you should know better at your age..

These medicines are not tested or licensed for long term use. You need to do your research.
    Forum Member
    These medicines are not tested or licensed for long term use. You need to do your research.

I'm merely adding some balance to your obviously biased and prejudiced opinion (some may say "rabid hatred", perhaps, but not me ;) ).

So you've had some prior bad experience with PPIs , doesn't mean others will. They work well for me, without side effects, and I'm happy to give my opinion.

Are you thinking of the "Common" "Un-common" or "rare" side effects? Perhaps you can show me a drug guaranteed to have none?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    I'm merely adding some balance to your obviously biased and prejudiced opinion (some may say "rabid hatred", perhaps, but not me ;) ).

So you've had some prior bad experience with PPIs , doesn't mean others will. They work well for me, without side effects, and I'm happy to give my opinion.

Please do your research on the long term side effects. They are well documented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on esomeprazole and domperidone tablets due to barretts oesophagus and have been told by my consultant at the hospital that i will need to take them both for life.
    Forum Member
    Please do your research on the long term side effects. They are well documented.

CBA, if they're so bad for me (apparently) and you know so very much about the subject, then you can have the honour of telling us all.what they are, assuming you mean more than the POTENTIAL: reduction in B12 absorption and thus increased risk (by 1.2 to 1.6 times) of bone fractures?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are surgical options available to treat reflux and BE, ask to be referred to the reflux clinic. Do your own research, it will be more meaningful for you than me telling you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and my consultant advises not to go down that route unless it is really necessary. surely anyone would prefer to take tablets than go under the knife,I know what i prefer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and my consultant advises not to go down that route unless it is really necessary. surely anyone would prefer to take tablets than go under the knife,I know what i prefer.

I'm sorry I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but surgery has far fewer side effects than taking tablets. Please, please look up the side effects of PPIs.