Options

Inability to Afford the Vet

Holly GolightlyHolly Golightly Posts: 4,755
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From reading a few threads here, I've noticed that there are a lot of animal lovers, and I am one of them :)

However, I've picked up on a bit of animosity when people say things like "I cant afford to pay the vet's bill". I've even seen people respond "I would go without food in order to pay my vet bill, as long as my cat/dog/whatever is healthy and happy".

On the other side of the coin, I've seen posters say "Its only an animal, I love my pet but if I cant afford the vet bill then tough".

What side are you on? What would you say to someone who has had to have their pet put to sleep because they were unable to afford a particular operation or course of treatment?

Comments

• Options
    stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    If you can't afford vets bills don't get the pet in the first place.

Sometimes circumstances change of course, but aren't there places like the RSPCA that do cheap veterinary care for people on low incomes?
  • Options
    cazkinscazkins Posts: 5,136
    Forum Member

What side are you on? What would you say to someone who has had to have their pet put to sleep because they were unable to afford a particular operation or course of treatment?

I would say, "Well done! That was a tough decision to make, obviously you didn't want your pet to suffer and I'm really sorry for your loss".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't afford them don't have them ! Ok fair enough sometimes accidents happen or they get very i'll but then thats what Pet Insurance is for and is alot cheaper to pay that monthly than huge vets bills !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazkins wrote: »
    Well done! That was a tough decision to make, obviously you didn't want your pet to suffer and I'm really sorry for your loss.

Oh no, sorry, I wasnt in that position. I just know someone who has been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh no, sorry, I wasnt in that position. I just know someone who has been.

My fault for not being clear. I'm still only half awake. :o That is what I would say to someone in that position.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done! That was a tough decision to make, obviously you didn't want your pet to suffer and I'm really sorry for your loss.

Everyone has their limits on what they can pay. We have a diabetic cat who most of the time is very healthy, but last summer he got sick and it cost us £800 in vet's bills (he was only insured for the first time he got diabetes, not subsequent episodes). Now I'm fortunate in that I could pay that, but if it kept on happening, it would become very difficult. If the vet's bills reached £1000 with no end in sight, I would very reluctantly have to call a halt and have the cat put down, however difficult it might be.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah Pet Insurance. That wonderful piece of mind that you pay through the nose for. That is until you read the small print and you realise that you beloved animal isn't covered for whatever weird reason the insurance companies come up with. Pet Insurance can be great in some cases but sometimes you get a nasty shock when you find out that your pet isn't covered for certain things.

Personally, I've paid out a few hundred pounds on my dog in the past. I love him to bits and I would like to think that I would be able to pay out hundreds more if the need was ever there. But can I afford to pay thousands? No I can't. Possibly I would go into debt if paying a few thousand would give him a great quality of life for a few years but if it would only prolong his life for a matter of months then no I wouldn't be willing to go into debt for that, no matter how much I love him. Sorry if that makes me sound mean but sometimes you have to look at things with a practical view rather than emotionally.
  • Options
    UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've read on here, people are far happier to pay expensive vets bills for their pet than they are to pay for their own teeth.

But I'm in the camp that says, "If you can't afford the vets bills, don't get a pet in the first place."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »

But I'm in the camp that says, "If you can't afford the vets bills, don't get a pet in the first place."

Its not really that simple though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty_kat wrote: »
    Ah Pet Insurance. That wonderful piece of mind that you pay through the nose for. That is until you read the small print and you realise that you beloved animal isn't covered for whatever weird reason the insurance companies come up with. Pet Insurance can be great in some cases but sometimes you get a nasty shock when you find out that your pet isn't covered for certain things.

Personally, I've paid out a few hundred pounds on my dog in the past. I love him to bits and I would like to think that I would be able to pay out hundreds more if the need was ever there. But can I afford to pay thousands? No I can't. Possibly I would go into debt if paying a few thousand would give him a great quality of life for a few years but if it would only prolong his life for a matter of months then no I wouldn't be willing to go into debt for that, no matter how much I love him. Sorry if that makes me sound mean but sometimes you have to look at things with a practical view rather than emotionally.

You've got my support. You also have to factor in the suffering and quality of life that the animal will have, and ask yourself if you're prolonging its life for its sake, or for yours. Very hard questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've read on here, people are far happier to pay expensive vets bills for their pet than they are to pay for their own teeth.

I pay for my teeth as well! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

How do you know when you get a pet what the vets bills may be? How do you know what illnesses or accidents your pet may suffer? How do you know what your financial situation may be in a few years time? You could suffer illness or injury yourself which could affect your ability to pay.
  • Options
    UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know when you get a pet what the vets bills may be? How do you know what illnesses or accidents your pet may suffer? How do you know what your financial situation may be in a few years time? You could suffer illness or injury yourself which could affect your ability to pay.

These are all valid points. But if you're at all responsible, they are points which you should consider before getting a pet in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    These are all valid points. But if you're at all responsible, they are points which you should consider before getting a pet in the first place.

Indeed, but if we all considered the possibility of being hit with vets bills totalling thousands of pounds in a few years time, none of us would have pets and that would be a shame, especially for families with children. For that matter, none of us would ever buy a home or a car if we considered every thing that could go wrong in our life. Sometimes you just have to take a reasonable risk or miss out entirely. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you to some extent, and I'd advise all pet owners to get insurance (it is possible to get insurance that covers recurrent illness, we just didn't have it, unfortunately). Most insurance policies have an excess, though, and you can't get out of that. I do object to people who can't afford to get their pets injected (which does cost quite a lot), or to cover a relatively minor vet's bill for a one-off minor illness that you might expect, for example a bite wound in a cat. You have to at least be able to afford to provide reasonably basic veterinary care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get another animal if you can't afford the vet bills. I would rather sell my home than put another animal down because I couldn't afford to treat him/her. If I had a child who was seriously ill and I had to pay for the treatment then I would sell everything I owned, same for a cat or a dog as far as I'm concerned. (I do have insurance for my cats by the way)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby Shoes wrote: »
    Don't get another animal if you can't afford the vet bills. I would rather sell my home than put another animal down because I couldn't afford to treat him/her. If I had a child who was seriously ill and I had to pay for the treatment then I would sell everything I owned, same for a cat or a dog as far as I'm concerned. (I do have insurance for my cats by the way)

Children are a bit different, to be fair - there isn't even an option to put them down! :D

Mind you, I've been sorely tempted at times!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not really that simple though.

Why isn't it?!:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie4964 wrote: »
    Children are a bit different, to be fair - there isn't even an option to put them down! :D

Mind you, I've been sorely tempted at times!

Lol! :) Shows how we treat different species though, I don't think there should be an option to kill another species either!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Why isn't it?!:confused:

Because financial circumstances can change, and there is no way of forseeing future events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol! :) Shows how we treat different species though, I don't think there should be an option to kill another species either!!

See I'm more the other way - I am pro-euthanasia.

....but not just to get rid of annoying children ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I'm more the other way - I am pro-euthanasia.

....but not just to get rid of annoying children ;)

I'd agree with you from a voluntary euthanasia point of view but it would always be forced euthanasia with different species.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not just a financial question, though. A human who's completely immobile can still use their brain and have at least some quality of life (cf Christopher Reeve), whereas an animal in the same situation would be completely miserable, and it really would be cruel to prolong its life, even if you could afford to. As I said before, though, I'm completely with you on the question of people who can't even afford basic veterinary care for their animals (for example, perhaps a special diet). To have an animal put down because you can't afford a diet that would save its life and enable it to live normally is definitely wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because financial circumstances can change, and there is no way of forseeing future events.

So get some decent pet insurance and you won't have to worry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    So get some decent pet insurance and you won't have to worry!

They probably can't afford the insurance either!! The sort that covers recurring illness, which is what I should have had, is about £20 a month, I think. Assuming that your animal will hopefully only get ill a couple of times in its lifetime, a lot of people take the chance, then find they don't have the money up front when disaster strikes, unfortunately.