How to stop my cats clawing my carpets by door frames?

LittlemarkLittlemark Posts: 228
Forum Member
Hi guys!

First time posting in the pets forum, hope you are all having a good weekend?

I have 2 British Shorthair cats (mainly indoors unless supervised). They've recently started clawing at the carpets at the entrance to rooms by the carpet runners. We leave all of the doors open to try to prevent this but it doesn't seem to be stopping them. On one door frame they've completely ripped up the carpet from the door runner.

They have plenty of toys, scratching posts and get lots of attention. Any idea how I can control this?

Thanks in advance, mark x

Here's one of the naughty buggers (Charlie :))

Charlie

Comments

• MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/marellak/011.jpg

My Bernard pulls up carpets by door frames. He also pulls out the plinths beneath my kitchen cupboards and wees in random spots on the lawn that I'm trying to nurture. He's a rascal but adorable. I have put a toy cat over the area outside the bathroom that he keeps pulling up (I think it's because it's the only door in the house that ever gets shut) - he knows it's not real but he can't be bothered to move it out of the way.

I only have carpet upstairs and I know to keep all the doors ajar. Bernard will claw any carpet beside a closed door.

ETA Charlie is very handsome. He looks like he's the boss in the household :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Our hall, stairs and landing carpet has been ruined in this way. I have 3 cats but only the 2 females do this. I have no idea why they do it and would love to know how to stop it before replacing the carpet.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea how to help and welcome to the Pet forum.

He's a handsome devil!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try some strips of double sided sticky tape along the line of where the carpet meets the runner. Cats usually don't like the stick texture and after a while won't think to scratch there any more.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double-sided tape - as Orangebird suggests. And this works on furniture and door frames too. Or you could spray Feliway sparingly on spots that they are clawing as it mimics a feel-good pheremone so they are less likely to try and leave their mark on the carpets. Repeat every few days.

However, it was once said to me that if you take a clawing spot away you need to provide them with a replacement. Have you got any carpet remnants that you can nail to a board - hessian side up, if it's that sort of carpet - and put it close to the clawed areas? They may change their habits.
  • LittlemarkLittlemark Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    ETA Charlie is very handsome. He looks like he's the boss in the household :)

Thanks for all of your responses :) I think I'll give Feliway a try, my partner will go mad if I start taping up the house with tape! I've also heard spraying lemon juice can help, anyone have experience of this?

Yes Charlie may look like the boss but its his little sister Lily who rules the roost... http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8192/lilyx.jpg

Your three look adorable too, all so chilled out, which one is Bernard?