Options

Ashes To Ashes Series 3 Speculation Thread (spoilers in tags)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    mel001 wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for ages, and am slightly confused as to why nobody thinks it's weird that in Life on Mars, Sam was always going on about how Viv went on to become his mentor and something fairly high up in the police force.

By killing the character of Viv off, this will never happen. So, what does it all mean for the future? Perhaps Sam never really existed?, or perhaps Viv was never in the future?

So confusing!!

I can't wait for the conclusion to this series!!

Hello I am new to this forum but have always enjoyed reading it. I was also surprised that nobody had picked up on the fact that Viv shouldn't have died because he was Sam's mentor in his early career. I think he became a Commander. However Thordy said 'Let him die. He isn't real!' so maybe that's the reason. I agree it is so confusing but utterly riveting. I just hope the ending's not a let down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Viv wasn't Sam's mentor :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Twitter:
    jimkeats has witnessed the passing of two police officers. Their descents came after DCI Gene Hunt set events in motion.

Descents is an interesting word. ;)
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the tin box that Alex got from Thordy? It looked like a map of some buildings. My guess is it's the farm buildings you see in Alex's flashforward of the outbuildings with the Old Father Time weather vane.

I thought it was a diagram of the prison electrical circuit. A clue for Alex to know what the prisoners were up to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Thordy said he (Sam) died in 2005. Sam had his accident in 2006 but went back then committed suicide some time later in 2007. So my theory is that he's picked up something that the real Sam has told him. I think Gene is telling the truth. Thordy is a fantasist. If he really was Sam then why get the date wrong by 2 years?

It would have been so easy for Thordy to have proved he was Sam. All he had to do was say something like, the prime minister is Tony Blair and that would have proved who he was. Instead he couldn't provide anything.

He was Sam's last case so it's probable Sam might have been talking to Thordy and that's where he's got his information from. I think we'll find out the real story after next week but personally I think it's a red herring. This series seems to be full of them.

I think the 2005 thing was indeed a deliberate clue to suggest that Thordy wasn't actually Sam (either that or poor continuity by the writers/producers etc). In fact as Alex goes to interview Thordy, Keats is already there with him which makes me think that Keats told him what to say. To me it feels like Keats is controling the whole thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm starting to think that 'the kiss' between Gene and Alex might be something other than romance. Kiss of life? Kiss to save one of them from Keats the reaper? Kiss goodbye?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Nelson's voice can be heard (apparently) be heard in E2 and 3 at the end, when Shaz has her LOM moment Nelson can be heard saying "Welcome... hehehehehe" when LOM plays in the background.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Watching again there's definitely history to Keats and the fake Sam.

And has no-one noticed that Keats is an anagram of Takes? Jim Takes...
  • Options
    whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with regards to the bit where they seem be dressed in very old clothes on the roundabout.....didn't sam tylers grave say something like 1831 - 1881..........

Don't know what I'm trying to say really......i'll get my coat

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, another newbie to this forum here, so apologies if I sound thick. I am a complete novice at this because Inever watched LoM or any of the previous 2 series of A2A. I accidentally caught first episode of current series and now need to go out and buy boxed sets of all the above really.
    However, from the perspective that comes from seeing only the current events, the things striking me are:

1. I agree with the poster earlier who commented about this week's events starting oddly with Alex still seeming to be in her 'sleep/dream'
    2. I don't think for a minute that Thordy was Sam, but I do think its significant that they said 'She will go nuts if she finds out who he is'.
    3. What was really happening with Gene and Thordy and the plastic bag?
    4. Thordy knows which cops are, or were, bent. Thats why Gene said, 'you should know that good cops stick together'. Thordy must have, at one time, been in league with some bent cop or other, and they were foiled by one who was pretending to be in on the conspiracy but only to smash it.
    5. There was something significant, again, about the remark, 'you thought you could get away from our team'? to Thordy.
    6. The Manchester Detective who was shot in the leg last week - he thought that Gene must have re-arranged the scene of Sam's crash, and re-arranged it for dodgy reasons. Gene approached him and said he would tell him what really had happened and the meaning of what he had seen, and whatever he told him terrified him, and it involved Alex, and Alex became terrifying to him.
    7. PC Half a face - can't work this out at all. Did think it looked like Chris at first but not now. Why did she 'dream' (before she found the tin) that Shaz, Chris and Ray had the tin and that it shocked them when they opened it?

Sorry for the mumblings of someone who has watched the programme for only two minutes and is already well on the way to needing psychiatric help for this obsession!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    And has no-one noticed that Keats is an anagram of Takes? Jim Takes...[/QUOTE]

...and Paul Thordy is almost an anagram of "Thy Lord Up".
    No real relevance as I personally do not think there will be a religious ending...

EDIT
    Or an exact anagram of A Lord Thy Up??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope everyone is following @jimkeats and @GeneHunt on Twitter. They're having a very interesting conversation ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Viv wasn't Sam's mentor :)

Maybe not mentor but he was a senior officer who he highly respected. He also saw a newspaper headline saying Viv had died in 2005/6 I know this because I have recently rewatched LOM with my son who hadn't seen it before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    MrsRockFan wrote: »
    Maybe not mentor but he was a senior officer who he highly respected. He also saw a newspaper headline saying Viv had died in 2005/6 I know this because I have recently rewatched LOM with my son who hadn't seen it before.

It was Glen Fletcher in LoM who was Sams mentor, not Viv:)
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Nelson's voice can be heard (apparently) be heard in E2 and 3 at the end, when Shaz has her LOM moment Nelson can be heard saying "Welcome... hehehehehe" when LOM plays in the background.

Yes we ALL know. This was covered 3 weeks ago in about 10 pages. We've all moved on since then. Please try to keep up. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I like the earlier theory of Keats being hanged at 9.00, thus his time ofdeath being 9.06. That tin Alex found, that featured in the fantasy sequence might well have been for the Queen's tenth jubilee, which was 1962, the same year that seemed to be highlighted on ghost pc's epulets. I still think he planted the tin for Alex to find out who killed him (Keats) and that she can't trust him.

I think the real Gene Hunt died in 1983, went back to his own limbo and has forgotten that he's dead. I fear the series may end with him dying for real and passing over properly after letting Alex go back to life and Molly. I think Alex has been sent to help Gene as a way of repaying (the real) him for looking after her when her parents died in 1981.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    rosep59 wrote: »
    It was Glen Fletcher in LoM who was Sams mentor, not Viv:)

Viv and Glenn Fletcher look and sound about as similar as Sam Tyler and Paul Thordy!
  • Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Best Mate wrote: »
    Hi everyone, another newbie to this forum here, so apologies if I sound thick. I am a complete novice at this because Inever watched LoM or any of the previous 2 series of A2A. I accidentally caught first episode of current series and now need to go out and buy boxed sets of all the above really.
    However, from the perspective that comes from seeing only the current events, the things striking me are:

1. I agree with the poster earlier who commented about this week's events starting oddly with Alex still seeming to be in her 'sleep/dream'
    2. I don't think for a minute that Thordy was Sam, but I do think its significant that they said 'She will go nuts if she finds out who he is'.
    3. What was really happening with Gene and Thordy and the plastic bag?
    4. Thordy knows which cops are, or were, bent. Thats why Gene said, 'you should know that good cops stick together'. Thordy must have, at one time, been in league with some bent cop or other, and they were foiled by one who was pretending to be in on the conspiracy but only to smash it.
    5. There was something significant, again, about the remark, 'you thought you could get away from our team'? to Thordy.
    6. The Manchester Detective who was shot in the leg last week - he thought that Gene must have re-arranged the scene of Sam's crash, and re-arranged it for dodgy reasons. Gene approached him and said he would tell him what really had happened and the meaning of what he had seen, and whatever he told him terrified him, and it involved Alex, and Alex became terrifying to him.
    7. PC Half a face - can't work this out at all. Did think it looked like Chris at first but not now. Why did she 'dream' (before she found the tin) that Shaz, Chris and Ray had the tin and that it shocked them when they opened it?

Sorry for the mumblings of someone who has watched the programme for only two minutes and is already well on the way to needing psychiatric help for this obsession!!

Some very interesting theories there. "She will go nuts if she finds out" - this is significant, but surely Thordy can't be Sam, although the question that Alex asked him I bet loads of people today couldn't have answered it, including me. Point 3) I think it was made to look as if Gene was trying to murder Thordy. Point 7) My son thought the ghost was young Gene.

Can't believe you're not a fan, what would you come up with if you were lol!!
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some excellent/amasing theories here- can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Has anybody worked out the significance of the date on the number plate- think it may have a Bruce Springsteen reference due to the song:
    Gene is 'the boss'
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Maybe Chris meant "She will go nuts if she finds out who he thinks he is" :confused: I also found that line significant as well as Ray talking about running away.
    What on earth has made Shaz and Co upset in the flashforward? It has to be more than just the plans Alex found.
    I always thought PC Half Face was meant to be Thordy, now I don't know. Maybe its Chris.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    wow! 10 pages without my ramblings, so i thought i should at least add my comments, Good ep, creepy whistling, links to LOM football episode are coming thick and fast, look forward to next ep, 2 words: Poor Chris
  • Options
    Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Chris is going to be someone rather important and that despite his stupidness he is in on something that Shas and the other guy are not (they see stars)

Also some subtle clues such as needing to impress Gene. Almost like a test, to see if the others take a moral stand aganist him. Perhaps the fact Sam Tyler became like Gene, he wanted to go back, perhaps he stopped being moral and started to enjoy being more of a vigalante so was sent to some sort of hell.

Maybe Gene is like a judge, dishing out this virtual test. People are now failing and becoming corrupt thus the fact its falling apart and the other guy has come in, like the devil to say that the humans are immoral and need to be punished. Gene is actually pinning his hopes on Bolly to do the right thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your kind comments, Peaches.

Just had possible moment of madness, but could Thordy be Gene's brother? I've read on this forum that he was said to have been a druggie who died. Could it really have been that Thordy was disappointed that brother Gene put law before family and didn't stop him being banged up? And Gene did find him trying to suffocate himself and, quite properly, rang the alarm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gene is actually pinning his hopes on Bolly to do the right thing.

I get that feeling too. But totally baffled as to why, or any context.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently re watching so shall be putting some of my thoughts as I see them.

So far - Keats said to Gene 'Shame you can't be part of it', another reverse psychology ala Ray and the fire.

When Viv tried to tell Gene in the office, Keats deliberately interrupted and said 'Sorry Viv you've lost your chance'- had his own part in the riot?
This discussion has been closed.