Options

Wedding dress etiquette

Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got the wedding of the year within my family which is church and posh club afterwards. I've not been to a big posh do before and don't want to be too flash dressed and then again not too casual either. The blokes in the immediate wedding party including my dad are in morning suit although male guests are not expected to be such as my husband.

Would this sort of dress be okay? I've picked one up at the Monsoon sale this afternoon in a grey/silver colour and there was one in black too - not the racy red here (it's the only pic I can find!) . I was going to wear with a cardigan or shrug.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180690783271

Comments

• Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that would be absolutely fine :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you :) I was going to show my mum but she's not the best dressed person I know and wasn't sure if the dress she had bought herself was electric blue or pink...!

Actually she's like Barbara Good but without Felicity Kendal and has a mean line in wellies and allotment jumpers.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That dress is beautiful, Shadow - just right for a wedding & posh 'do'. (your mum sounds cool!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!

Yes she is in her own way!
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one who thinks the dress is great
  • Options
    RainbowsEndRainbowsEnd Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a beautiful dress and just right! My 25 yr old daughter has been to a few 'big/posh' Weddings and that is exactly what she would wear. Also her and her friends also make a big effort with accessories, fake tan (so no natural strap marks are visible - lol!), manicures. Her 'getting ready' starts about 3 days before the Wedding! :D

Enjoy the Wedding!
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    There's a pic here with a better view and I think the colour OP chose I agree it is lovely and yes definitely fits the bill.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I must admitt I was a bit unsure by the red dress as the angle it's been taken from does the design no favours IMHO. :o

The grey/silver dress looks really special!! :)

Think about your accessories-don't plump for black or grey. What about cerise, burgundy or even electric blue or green?
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that dress is lovely and would work well.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely perfect for a wedding, I'm sure you'll look lovely, OP :)
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Good choice, it does look much better in the grey/silver :D
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its lovely OP , a good choice .
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great choice. In my experience, the girls at posh do's pull out all the stops, and the blokes, who aren't in morning suits, just busk it in lounge suit.

The two most important rules are:

1. Feel great and
    2. Don't wear white!

Have fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone! I feel much better about it - I am a curvy 14/16, very busty so I struggle to find a dress that works for me. I ordered a dress from Coast (called Lee) and it was dreadful - I realise I can't do bodycon, it's too rude.

My husband thought this Monsoon one looked okay (man speak for good!) and I love the colour suggestions. As long as I stear away from teal (bridesmaid's are wearing this) and white I'm on a winner.

Cheers :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gorgeous dress!
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another "Yes" from me - lovely !

I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and got my dress from Monsoon. I love them. I would shop there all the time if I could afford to.