The fall of National Lottery jackpots: £200k for getting 6 balls

Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/lotto/results/results.ftl

Some of the results recently are laughable when compared to the heyday of the Lottery Jackpots.

There are a couple of saturdays in there where the Jackpot was £2million, but 6/8 people won it, so recieve less than £300,00 each. Now sure, thats a decent tax-free lump to recieve, but when their balls were drawn i bet they were dreaming of fast cars and expensive houses. That would be enough to pay off the mortgage, but not enough to retire on.

Some weeks, 4 balls pays £14...

How long until the lotto folds? There are too many draws now, especially with all the tacked on 'extra' draws.

Comments

• darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uk Ltd wrote: »

Some of the results recently are laughable when compared to the heyday of the Lottery Jackpots.

How long until the lotto folds? There are too many draws now, especially with all the tacked on 'extra' draws.

Can't see it ever folding, but they've certainly devalued their currency. Too many draws indeed.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I don't play the lottery for this reason. The prizes a split terribly. You need to match all balls to win anything worth having. 4 balls is only about £50 isn't it?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably that's part of the reason for hiking the ticket price.
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Andy Duncan is the UK Managing Director of Camelot.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say no to it. If any of you disagree then stop playing and there's more chance for me. :D
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't play it, but it amazes me how many weeks in a row there seem to be rollovers - I find this a real con, there should always be a winner in my humble opinion.

Perhaps the reduction is due to the increase in the price of a ticket to £2, that's probably done wonders for the Health Lottery, which is still priced at £1.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It hasn't gone up to £2 yet but I've already stopped playing may as well stop now really I can't even afford £2 per draw per per game
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I blame Merlin:mad:
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uk Ltd wrote: »

There are a couple of saturdays in there where the Jackpot was £2million, but 6/8 people won it, so recieve less than £300,00 each. Now sure, thats a decent tax-free lump to recieve, but when their balls were drawn i bet they were dreaming of fast cars and expensive houses. That would be enough to pay off the mortgage, but not enough to retire on.

The jackpot on a non rollover Saturday is usually about £4 milliion. If 8 ticket holders matched 6, that'd be £500k for each of them ~ no doubt also further split between various syndicates.

But 6 to 8 winners all matching six, is unusual and suggestive of a low numbered draw where the numbers drawn are under 32, as many people tend to pick birthday dates. By contrast, high numbered draws are much more likely to result in a rollover, or maybe just one winner.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say no to it. If any of you disagree then stop playing and there's more chance for me. :D

Other people stopping playing wouldn't affect your chance of winning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole set up is a joke . Far too many draws . Small prizes . 4-5 numbers pay a pittance .
    Hotpicks5 has only been won once this year as far as I know :eek:

The doubling in price is outrageous . I used to spend 10pound a week but have quit after realising its practically impossible to win a Jackpot
  • CFC1905CFC1905 Posts: 90
    Forum Member

If anyone stops playing it it doesn't give you anymore chances to win UNLESS they send you their numbers and you do those as well as your own.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    The way the lottery is structured is all wrong.

Unless you actually hit the jackpot it's a complete waste of time. A poxy tenner for 3 numbers and not a whole lot more for matching 4. You could win one hell of a lot more than that placing the odd bet on the horses or football once in a while.

They should cap the jackpot at £1 million with every winner getting that amount and hand out more money for matching 3, 4 and 5 numbers.

I've matched 3 numbers a few times and got 4 on one occasion and I've been playing since it began. This is probably typical of most people I would imagine. I gave up a while ago and certainly won't be playing again once it goes up to £2 a ticket.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Other people stopping playing wouldn't affect your chance of winning.
    CFC1905 wrote: »
    If anyone stops playing it it doesn't give you anymore chances to win UNLESS they send you their numbers and you do those as well as your own.

Yeah, sorry, I meant there's more chance for me winning the full amount rather than sharing it. Obviously I'd still need the right numbers. :(
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Better chance to win but an even smaller prize pot!
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've switched to euromillions and have had 2 small wins in 3 weeks after years of nothing playing lotto.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lowest ever jackpot prize per winner was around £120k.

That was in 1995, when 133 (one hundred and thirty-three) jackpot winners shared £16 million.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sticking it up to two quid was the nail in the coffin for me.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting the price up to two quid will kill it stone dead. If it was left at one pound, the people who might have been occasionally tempted to buy three tickets probably won't buy any at all now - me included.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Can't see it ever folding, but they've certainly devalued their currency. Too many draws indeed.

Definitely, I think they should stick to One Lotto on a saturday and one Euromillions on another day.

They have shown by the decreasing jackpots that they probably wont lose money as Wednesday only players might move to a Saturday , and with only one draw more might actually play if the jackpots increased again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know the price was going up.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agreed, there is just so many draws these days, its no wonder we dont get big jackpots on the individual games anymore. As for the move to £2, well something needs to be done to increase the jackpots, that doubling the ticket cost, is a massive risk, and I could see it making the sitution worse not better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the Lottery came out everyone bought a ticket and everyone was secretly convinced that they would win. Gradually people realised the chances of winning were low and drifted away. Other hardcore players migrated to scratchcards or the debtors court. In time a few die off. The Lottery is no longer new and exciting so there are fewer new players.

Also regular players get better so the number of winners rises.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyclist wrote: »
    When the Lottery came out everyone bought a ticket and everyone was secretly convinced that they would win. Gradually people realised the chances of winning were low and drifted away. Other hardcore players migrated to scratchcards or the debtors court. In time a few die off. The Lottery is no longer new and exciting so there are fewer new players.

Also regular players get better so the number of winners rises.

get better? how on earth can you get better at playing the lottery?? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get better? how on earth can you get better at playing the lottery?? :confused:

Knowing when to play and what numbers to play.

Not only will they raise the price of Lotto to £2 but they've restructured the mid tier prizes so you win less than what you get now. All for double the cost :D