Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XX (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Mark__ wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder when reading this thread if people realise they themselves are a part of the "IWC"..

Everyone on the internet discussing wrestling and giving there two pence worth is part of the IWC.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is the future of broadcasting, but it's not here yet and whilst we still consume programmes in the traditional model, and NBCU are paying $180m a year for the rights, they will be bothered by the ratings. When they are two weeks away from Mania, and they are trying to get a huge deal, ratings will be a big thing for them at this moment in time.

If the network were broadcasting Raw live, or even next day, I would agree with you that it's not really a big deal. But at this time, with the licensing deal on the table, and certainly heading into Mania in a couple of weeks, ratings should be higher.

But they are higher just not from a "live" point of view. People don't like to be told they have to watch a programme at a certain time or a certain day (more so when around the same time as a big social event like St Patrick's day). I think we going to see bigger and bigger differences viewer figure wise on weekly tv shows one week normal next week really low week after okish week after high. Broadcasters will have to get use to maybe as much as 50% of a series/season having low and okish ratings in return for other half having good strong.

The network will have some effect on Raw even if it's not on there just because people at the moment are getting into the habit of watching wrestling online and are now more likely to grab their laptop/tablet and watch Raw in one of the other methods.

While the broadcasters might worry I don't think Vince will be, they start getting jumpy and start either making demands etc, he would just walk away from TV and broadcast everything on the Network.

The money being talked about in the recent talks with TV company's are big big numbers but I think he is doing that because he is more then willing to go fully network oriented but if he gets silly money to put it off for a couple of years he be silly to turn it down. I don't think he would lose a minutes sleep if no TV deal was signed
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    So how many watching it on the Network and how many on Box Office

Raises hand for Box Office

The plan just now is to watch WM30 on the Network.Doubt i'll be watching it live because of work next day.

I'm looking forward in watching the HOF ceremony.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    But they are higher just not from a "live" point of view. People don't like to be told they have to watch a programme at a certain time or a certain day (more so when around the same time as a big social event like St Patrick's day). I think we going to see bigger and bigger differences viewer figure wise on weekly tv shows one week normal next week really low week after okish week after high. Broadcasters will have to get use to maybe as much as 50% of a series/season having low and okish ratings in return for other half having good strong.

The network will have some effect on Raw even if it's not on there just because people at the moment are getting into the habit of watching wrestling online and are now more likely to grab their laptop/tablet and watch Raw in one of the other methods.

While the broadcasters might worry I don't think Vince will be, they start getting jumpy and start either making demands etc, he would just walk away from TV and broadcast everything on the Network.

The money being talked about in the recent talks with TV company's are big big numbers but I think he is doing that because he is more then willing to go fully network oriented but if he gets silly money to put it off for a couple of years he be silly to turn it down. I don't think he would lose a minutes sleep if no TV deal was signed

I don't think the network will be subscribed enough to match the money they can get from NBCU/Viacom. According to the CFO, to make a profit, they need one million subscribers which is $9.9m. To make the money needed just to cover the US deal, they would need 18,000,000 subscribers at $9.99, and even that is 180k short.

I don't believe there are 18 million people that will subscribe to the network personally. With PPV's, I think he's happy to walk away from DirectTV and Dish Network because PPV is a dying model and has been for quite a while in the industry. But we still consume consuming on the majority through television.

There isn't USA+1, there aren't any repeats on broadcast television, there are (I believe) edited highlights of Raw on HuluPlus. And that is part of the problem, the place to watch Raw which will affect ratings is USA Network at 8pm on Monday nights. It won't be the be all and end all, and if this wasn't in the run up to Mania/in the middle of licensing deals being hammered out, I would feel differently.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB. This is my point I find it bizarre how people posting on here use it as a negative term without realising that if it exists then they are part of it :confused:

Bryan should win at mania to end his storyline with the authority there is no point in carrying on the issue.
    I'm with you on losing interest up until now but the build going well and I'm getting excited for HHH v Bryan. Lesnar v Taker and even Cena v Wyatt (Bray Wyatt needs to win this match or the build up is pointless.... I don't think he will though even though a loss doesn't hurt Cena's character in the slightest) I also am a massive fan of the Shield and everything they do at Mania will be awesome imo

I actually think a loss would be better for Cena's character. He and Bray keep talking about his legacy so if Cena loses he can become insecure about what his legacy is and start to show so vulnerability/worry about coming to the end of his career. It would be a new and interesting dynamic and could set up a load of feuds for him with newer stars from Wrestlemania to Summerslam before he maybe gets his win back on Bray.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont know if its been mentioned or if anyone cares:p but Tensai has been removed from the Superstar list on wwe.com but he was on the panel at Raw and Josh referred to him as Albert.

EDIT:Just seen he is listed as Jason Albert:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody on twitter mentioned he was also doing commentary on NXT
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pembo2004 wrote: »
    I'm watching wrestlemania 30 on Sky box office

I'll be watching it on the network but will order it on SBO just incase there are issues with the network. Nothing to lose because if i don't watch it on SBO then i don't pay.
  • Options
    RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    tso wrote: »
    Dont know if its been mentioned or if anyone cares:p but Tensai has been removed from the Superstar list on wwe.com but he was on the panel at Raw and Josh referred to him as Albert.

EDIT:Just seen he is listed as Jason Albert:confused:
    gerry d wrote: »
    Somebody on twitter mentioned he was also doing commentary on NXT

Word about a month or two ago was that he was retiring from the ring. Think he's alright with some of the commentary I've heard. Then again, I don't think I can judge wrestling commentary properly when there's three hours of the commentary trio from hell weekly making for the basis of comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racket wrote: »
    Word about a month or two ago was that he was retiring from the ring. Think he's alright with some of the commentary I've heard. Then again, I don't think I can judge wrestling commentary properly when there's three hours of the commentary trio from hell weekly making for the basis of comparison.

Cheers.Hes had his day to be fair including a streak match against Taker:o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why they couldn't just call Tensai by his real name Matt Bloom, Jason albert doesn't really make sense
  • Options
    RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    tso wrote: »
    Cheers.Hes had his day to be fair including a streak match against Taker:o:D

I had completely forgotten about that match, which also means I had completely forgotten about Nathan Jones. I feel terrible for forgetting such a star. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRN1BZs20jI
    Don't know why they couldn't just call Tensai by his real name Matt Bloom, Jason albert doesn't really make sense

Fits in with the Prince Albert name so ties his career together, I guess. Think Jason Albert sounds better than Matt Bloom as a star name myself, which is about as big and fun to say as Josh Matthews. But it'll be mostly the character reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had completely forgotten about that match, which also means I had completely forgotten about Nathan Jones. I feel terrible for forgetting such a star. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRN1BZs20jI

Fits in with the Prince Albert name so ties his career together, I guess. Think Jason Albert sounds better than Matt Bloom as a star name myself, which is about as big and fun to say as Josh Matthews. But it'll be mostly the character reason.

Jeez id totally forgotten about Jones too.Mind you if i went back the 15 years ive been watching the list would be endless:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too sure if this has already been mentioned but i was just reading there that apparently the reason Carlos Colon is going into the HOF is because the WWE have bought or plan to buy WWC (World Wrestling Council) footage to use on the Network.

WWC is Puerto Rico based.
  • Options
    PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member

I first saw him in Jackie Chan's First Strike well before he got to the WWE. He looks a lot bigger (wider) in that then he does now. :p

I still think that if there is another (proper) Street Fighter 2 movie then he must play the part of SAGAT! He's a dead ringer. Stick an eye patch on him and paint a scar on his chest and bingo! TIGER....................UPPERCUT!

:D
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I first saw him in Jackie Chan's First Strike well before he got to the WWE. He looks a lot bigger (wider) in that then he does now.

One of my favourite ever squash matches is a Nathan Jones match, actually. He faced Shannon Moore on Smackdown and just really went to town on him. Some impressive big-man moves and Moore made him look a million dollars with his bumping and selling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIi7cN-cOYM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    One of my favourite ever squash matches is a Nathan Jones match, actually. He faced Shannon Moore on Smackdown and just really went to town on him. Some impressive big-man moves and Moore made him look a million dollars with his bumping and selling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIi7cN-cOYM

Interestingly enough, I watched an old episode of WWF Superstars on Youtube from 1986 earlier. It featured a very young Shane Douglas getting squashed by Macho Man and a very young Mick Foley teaming with another jobber to be crushed by The British Bulldogs.

I think that they should bring back jobbers. They serve a purpose. I hate how on Raw The Usos jobbed clean to Real Americans to set up a tag title match. They could've had Real Americans paste some jobber teams, then maybe beat Los Matadores and perhaps Rhodes Brothers and they can challenge The Usos looking strong without having to compromise the champs. If they spent a couple of weeks having The Real Americans win matches and say they're getting back on the same page, then that still leaves them with two Raws and Smackdowns to build a quick feud with The Usos without having to job the champions out.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you imagine the reaction to the IWC if Cena broke the streak. :D

That almost makes me want it to happen purely to see the fan reaction to it.:D
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, I watched an old episode of WWF Superstars on Youtube from 1986 earlier. It featured a very young Shane Douglas getting squashed by Macho Man and a very young Mick Foley teaming with another jobber to be crushed by The British Bulldogs.

I think that they should bring back jobbers. They serve a purpose. I hate how on Raw The Usos jobbed clean to Real Americans to set up a tag title match. They could've had Real Americans paste some jobber teams, then maybe beat Los Matadores and perhaps Rhodes Brothers and they can challenge The Usos looking strong without having to compromise the champs. If they spent a couple of weeks having The Real Americans win matches and say they're getting back on the same page, then that still leaves them with two Raws and Smackdowns to build a quick feud with The Usos without having to job the champions out.

Cm Punk initially debuted as a Heat squash opponent to Val Venis.

I think they do still have jobbers - the likes of Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder, Justin Gabriel, 3MB etc. They just don't use them that often. And the thing was when jobbers are/were used a lot you get people complaining instead about predictable the matches are.

I'm in the middle - I loved the jobbers back in the day (like Funaki, Scotty 2 Hotty etc.) and I always love seeing say a Mark Henry destory 3 'no-name' squash opponents. However, if there are too many squash matches they get dull and at least the way WWE currently do we do have matches where winners are hard to predict - and the matches are fun (which is better than 4 weeks of pointless squashes)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Cm Punk initially debuted as a Heat squash opponent to Val Venis.

I think they do still have jobbers - the likes of Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder, Justin Gabriel, 3MB etc. They just don't use them that often. And the thing was when jobbers are/were used a lot you get people complaining instead about predictable the matches are.

I'm in the middle - I loved the jobbers back in the day (like Funaki, Scotty 2 Hotty etc.) and I always love seeing say a Mark Henry destory 3 'no-name' squash opponents. However, if there are too many squash matches they get dull and at least the way WWE currently do we do have matches where winners are hard to predict - and the matches are fun (which is better than 4 weeks of pointless squashes)

Yeah, but if they are going to give us a nothing match like a Total Divas tag or Gooldust vs Fandango, then they could easily give Cesaro three minutes to chuck around a jobber and look awesome. It just would've been better in my opinion to have Real Americans beat some other teams to get a title shot rather than just have them beat the champions. They could've played it into their break-up tease by having them work to get back on the same page. Now The Usos look weaker than they should going into Mania as champions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Yeah, but if they are going to give us a nothing match like a Total Divas tag or Gooldust vs Fandango, then they could easily give Cesaro three minutes to chuck around a jobber and look awesome. It just would've been better in my opinion to have Real Americans beat some other teams to get a title shot rather than just have them beat the champions. They could've played it into their break-up tease by having them work to get back on the same page. Now The Usos look weaker than they should going into Mania as champions.

I'd agree with you on that - and I do love a squash match. Henry beating 3 local jobbers in a handicap match always entertains me.

But I have to admit I prefer the way WWE did the Usos thing than having instead say Real Americans facing Los Matadores for a few weeks. And the thing is it's annoying how often the Rhodes Brothers get jobbed as is and so if WWE had done it the way you'd suggested they'd probably have jobbed again and been driven even further towards insignificant,lower-card hell - so I prefer that WWE didn't do that.
    And fans have grown to accept champions losing - so I doubt it'll affect the Usos too much. Everyone still loves them - win or lose.

The one thing I hate though is the 'face World champion' ( Cena in particular) always being invincible - which never makes any sense to me as why would you feel they're in peril if they always look so superior to their heel challenger?

WWE have done this for years and I never understand it. It's like (to use a different context) if Batman always being ahead of say the Penquin why would we worry the Penquin would defeat Batman? Poor analogy but you get my point.
  • Options
    AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else shocked/extremely disappointed that The Undertaker was never used as a hollywood horror movie villain? I mean come on!!!! 1994 Summerslam Undertaker is terrifying. Or coffin yokozuna undertaker. Scarier than any Freddy, Jason or Michael Myers anyway!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slam City is funny if you give it a chance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The WWE have surveyed fans about their views on pitches for eight new network shows:
    http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/461999-wwe-proposes-8-new-reality-shows-for-the-wwe-network

Some of them are duds (obviously) but I honestly would like to see the Steve Blackman show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The WWE have surveyed fans about their views on pitches for eight new network shows:
    http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/461999-wwe-proposes-8-new-reality-shows-for-the-wwe-network

Some of them are duds (obviously) but I honestly would like to see the Steve Blackman show.

Thanks Missy - interesting link there.

The sad thing is the more gimmicky ones sound the most interesting to me. WWE Dirty Jobs and Prankdown in particular would be very guilty pleasure material I'm ashamed to say. :D
    That is probably due to my high cringe threshold though (which WWE still manage to exceed).
This discussion has been closed.