Options

If there is a new companion, would they fit in?

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking, if a new companion were to join the TARDIS while Jenna was around, wouldn't they seem a bit like a stranger? After all, Clara is no ordinary companion, to me she is neither Elevens' or Twelves' companion, she is the Doctors' companion. She was there when he almost reached the end of his regenerations, she was there when he "died" at the hands of the Great Intelligence, she is the one who split herself into multiple selves, she is the one who sewed the seeds into his brain at a young age to be brave and strong, she's the one who found true love and basically tried to hold his TARDIS ransom to get Danny back, she's the one who once knew his name, kind of.

What I'm saying is, they've got something special and have known each other for a very long time, he's like her family now and she's the one who can make 12 smile. It could be a tough place for a new person to join and fit in. I think Clara would get jealous and a new person may feel like they walked in on two old friends.

It would need a special set of circumstances I think to accept a new companion on board right now. My thoughts .....
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    As fans it's sometimes hard to imagine change, but, while this one might be a little trickier than most companion handovers, a good writer will be able to handle it. :)
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All depends on the story. If Doctor and Clara happen to meet someone who they both like and he or she accepts an offer to join them why not ?. Plus it will make life easier for him when Clara does eventually leave. He will not be alone still have a companion to talk to and travel with.
  • Options
    SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    With the show being so Clara-centric these days it wouldn't surprise me if it was her that decided to take someone else with along with them, whether the Doctor liked it or not.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    As fans it's sometimes hard to imagine change

Many seem to be crying out for it on a daily basis :p I already want the next showrunner to leave and the 16th Doctor to step aside :cool:
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if the new companion has a gimmick. Remember how we were all happy to see the back of Romana when the magnificent Maths Star Boy appeared?
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    If the new companion spent the new season trying and eventually succeeding in killing Clara, it would really work.
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a TV programme. Either Clara will go and be replaced, or a new companion will be brought in before Clara goes. The scripts will cover it, and any talented actor/actress will be able to put in a good performance.

Honestly, I'm beginning to think you lot think Dr Who is real life.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    It's a TV programme. Either Clara will go and be replaced, or a new companion will be brought in before Clara goes. The scripts will cover it, and any talented actor/actress will be able to put in a good performance. Honestly, I'm beginning to think you lot think Dr Who is real life.

Its called the willing suspension of disbelief. It aids the enjoyment of TV drama if you are able to forget they are actors and believe in them as characters. I thought everyone knew that?
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Its called the willing suspension of disbelief. It aids the enjoyment of TV drama if you are able to forget they are actors and believe in them as characters. I thought everyone knew that?

It takes good scriptriting, direction & acting talent. Two of these were missing in series 8.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    For goodness sake - get a new male companion! NOT a boyfriend for Clara either!
    Get an opposite companion - he might be an alien too! Nothing wrong with that - it worked before :p
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great way for a new companion, is for Clara to inadvertently introduce the companion to The Doctor.

Clara- Doctor, this person is a little lost, can you help, listen to their story?
    The Doctor- Come along, sit a while, I have a little time to spare, tell me, you do know you are never lost and with a little help, you'll be on your way.
    Lost person-Do you say that all the time?
    The Doctor- Good question.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    It's a TV programme. Either Clara will go and be replaced, or a new companion will be brought in before Clara goes. The scripts will cover it, and any talented actor/actress will be able to put in a good performance.

Honestly, I'm beginning to think you lot think Dr Who is real life.

Lol, I appreciate is not real :) But , well just maybe deep inside I wish it was :p

I was interested actually if they would write in a possible new companion just so, or try to give thought to the Clara/Doc back story and use it in the plots.

The show could do with a new character methinks, so not a boyfriend, and we certainly don't need a new wife/girlfriend for the Doctor. Maybe a new companion or just recurring character - a new dynamic.
  • Options
    Sajwani91Sajwani91 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Everyone has there preferences but if they do include another companion it's just part of the show and i feel a new edition would be nice as i feel without it peopke will become bored part way through the next season