"ex-pats"

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point is that an ex-pat is someone who both retains and wants to retain their original nationaility.

Also, whining about UK is hardly a past-time exclusively for people living and working overseas.

I'm an Englishman in New York. I live there, because that is where my job is. I really like NY, but I am only here for the job.

I even try to speak the local language. :p

When my job finishes, I will happily move back to my house in London, that I call my home.

I guess that makes me an ex-pat. I have no problem with the description.
    i think that's a fair proposal at a definition.

expat = resident in another country, but retains nationality of origin (exclusively)

immigrant = resident and acquired citizenship of host country

hurrah :)
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ex Pats usually still hold a British passport and still receive their income. pension etc. from Britain and are still entitled to come to Britain for medical treatment.

This means they have a lot of ties. financial and otherwise with their mother country and have not taken on the complete nationality of the country they happen to be living in.

Incidentally most British ex-pats now living in Europe are really struggling financially at the moment as the Euro has fallen so much against the pound that their income from Britain has fallen by over a third.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    This means they have a lot of ties. financial and otherwise with their mother country and have not taken on the complete nationality of the country they happen to be living in.
    i am sure that is probably also true for most 1st generation 'immigrants' in this country. (.. or should that be 'expats'?)