15th November Changes

BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
Forum Member
Just had a notice popup on my Hummy advising that:

"Changes to services are happening in mid-November. To ensure you continue to receive all available channels please retune this receiver anytime after 5pm on 15th November. Expected date: 16:59:00, 15/11/2010."

Anyone know what's happening? Is it to do with the CNN/Turner stream?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Message on my FOX T2 today "Retune after 5.00 p.m. November 15". Can't find any info about why, any ideas? My transmitter is Sutton Coldfield. Thanks.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15/11/10 is when the Mux A / SDN licence expires and several contracts are expected to expire on that date. They are likely but not guaranteed to be bid tv & CNN & possibly Channel One.

My guess is that bid tv will then replace price-drop tv like it did before.
    ITV2+1 will replace bid tv to make way for ITV1+1 in Jan 2011.
    CNN will leave a 7pm-6am slot for slappers, teleshopping etc maybe Partyland and Rocks & Co 2?
    Channel One in Wales might be replaced by CITV, and elsewhere by ?????
    Channel One would replace Sky3+1.
    Then there is the question of TUTV and ESPN. Almost anything could happen including TUTV retrenching to one stream and ESPN going 24/7 on TUTV/Five capacity.
    Some more Mux A data channels will go like Smash Hits, Guide Plus + so that the new low bit rate stream can launch. I have a feeling that Rabbit will move off Mux 2 on to Mux A and possibly Heart could do the same. Already Teletext services on Mux A have had their bit rates trimmed. That can only be to fit more in. That would then have cleared Mux 2 so that a ninth stream could start on Mux 2.

QVC is contracted until 2022 and QUEST/Gems TV have a long term contract so they're safe.

Lots of changes expected with some I hadn't even thought of! :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In London I'm still getting the BBC ONE HD retune message in the NIT. No sign of any 15/11 messages here yet!

The only anomoly in London is that Mux B alone is broadcasting 8 NIT segments where all the rest have 7 (6 SD muxes + HD). The 8th is blank but is definitely there!
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In London I'm still getting the BBC ONE HD retune message in the NIT. No sign of any 15/11 messages here yet!
    I just saw this over BBC oneHD from Crystal Palace.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not another retune again ffs :mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Siemens have cocked up the retune message in London. The eighth NIT segment has gone and so has all retuning info in MuxB's NIT. So they are getting there. No auto retuning on Muxes C & D, just the rest, if Siemens get their back ups restored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    I just saw this over BBC oneHD from Crystal Palace.

That explains it then because I can't see inside the HD NIT, Only the SD NITs and very limited HD info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Seen that screen pop up and thought Portal at last and reading all this hopes now dashed,it was supposed to be " October" wandering which year decade century now???
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another re-tune?
    I was thinking we had not had one for a while. A right pain to go round and do this to 3 tv's, and 3 recorders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few changes this evening and more to come before Monday it seems. Tonight's list in the changelog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info.

I'll decline the opportunity to retune given that this is to mainly facilitate more crap coming to the platform. Music radio at 80K mono, shockingly poor.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    The removal of Smash Hits from mux A explains where SDN's recently-advertised radio/data capacity has come from. We are now back to no radio stations on mux A (well, technically there is still one at the moment but it'll go completely on Monday)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment they've recovered a 30kbps TUTV data channel plus Smash Hits which is about 140kbps, so a total of 170kbps; still not substantially enough towards a low bitrate 800kbps video stream. I think they need Guide Plus+ and QVC Active and all Teletext services to close as well unless SDN intend to reduce video bit rates.
    Forum Member
    AFAIK they didn't say how much capacity was up for grabs, only that it would be enough for "Digital Services including radio, video (not full screen), and data services". Unless you have the RFP or know somebody who does, I don't think you can put a figure on it. "video (not full screen)" could equate to a tiny 1/16th stream alongside a data service for all we know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going on last year's low bit rate trial 800/80 which was obviously a rehearsal for the present situation. Obviously we don't know if it was considered a success or not as that stuff is all secret.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Lousy timing for me. I'm going away on holiday just a matter of hours before that specified retune date/time. I hope it won't muck up anything that I'll want to record while I'm away.
    Forum Member
    To keep this thread up-to-date with today's changes (I know they're in the changelog, but some people might be following this thread for the latest 15th November news):

ITV Preview 1 placeholder has appeared on Ch35/Mux A
    Discussion: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1386462

TUTV Anytime 2 has reappeared but will probably disappear again...
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15/11/10 is when the Mux A / SDN licence expires and several contracts are expected to expire on that date. They are likely but not guaranteed to be bid tv & CNN & possibly Channel One.

My guess is that bid tv will then replace price-drop tv like it did before.
    ITV2+1 will replace bid tv to make way for ITV1+1 in Jan 2011.
    CNN will leave a 7pm-6am slot for slappers, teleshopping etc maybe Partyland and Rocks & Co 2?
    Channel One in Wales might be replaced by CITV, and elsewhere by ?????
    Channel One would replace Sky3+1.
    Then there is the question of TUTV and ESPN. Almost anything could happen including TUTV retrenching to one stream and ESPN going 24/7 on TUTV/Five capacity.
    Some more Mux A data channels will go like Smash Hits, Guide Plus + so that the new low bit rate stream can launch. I have a feeling that Rabbit will move off Mux 2 on to Mux A and possibly Heart could do the same. Already Teletext services on Mux A have had their bit rates trimmed. That can only be to fit more in. That would then have cleared Mux 2 so that a ninth stream could start on Mux 2.

QVC is contracted until 2022 and QUEST/Gems TV have a long term contract so they're safe.

Lots of changes expected with some I hadn't even thought of! :D:D

Do you think Sky will give up a 24 hour slot? They certainly have the funds to pay whatever it takes to keep it.

Why would CNN give up a slot without relocating? CNN I'm sure does very well.

Also there's no evidence to say Bid TV will leave. These shopping channels make alot of money.

ESPN is going no where either.

Neither ESPN, CNN, or Bid TV is a threat to ITV's advertising revenues so if they are happy to pay then all the better. I don't think ITV want all the capacity for free tv certainly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think Sky will give up a 24 hour slot? They certainly have the funds to pay whatever it takes to keep it.

Why would CNN give up a slot without relocating? CNN I'm sure does very well.

Also there's no evidence to say Bid TV will leave. These shopping channels make alot of money.

ESPN is going no where either.

Neither ESPN, CNN, or Bid TV is a threat to ITV's advertising revenues so if they are happy to pay then all the better. I don't think ITV want all the capacity for free tv certainly.

1. $ky do not have a 24 hour slot if you mean Channel One. Firstly it is up to SDN who gets it if carriage expires on 15/11/10, which is at present 9am-3am in Eng, Scot & NI but 6am-7pm in Wales. I think that if Channel One is to become Challenge it would be preferable to be a 24/7 nationwide channel, especially if the Welsh Channel One is used for CITV. That would be why it would replace $ky3+1 IMHO.

2. Similarly CNN will not give up the slot, SDN will dump them. The decision has nothing to do with CNN. I am basing this prediction on the fact that the Anytime 2 slot has already gone and it was also part of the Turner stream. They only got it on the cheap many moons ago. CNN on Freeview was not the original idea for Turner. It was the only option left for them when Nuts TV folded to last out the remainder of the contract. They then defiled the CNN name by including two hours of teleshopping each night under the CNN channel name.

3. bid tv has had six years, exactly the same time as the previous sit up slot before sdn dumped them. 6 years appears to be the common sdn carriage length.

4. ESPN has stated on their own website that they are actively seeking a 24/7 outlet. This could be either on TUTV space or the new BBC/Arqiva stream or both.

5. ITV previously stated that they were looking for new ITV2+1 capacity when they launch ITV1+1 in its place. It could replace bid tv or CNN/CITV. Which is the most likely? ITV2 has only one version so Mux A suits it.

6. Now ITV Preview has appeared, that could be for ITV2+1 but it would not be necessary as the LCN 27/33 situation placeholds ITV1+1 and ITV2+1. LCN35 is a new channel, and as it has been associated with CITV on satellite, it will probably do the same on Freeview. SDN can't develop this slot properly until they get rid of Tele-G which depends on BBC Alba getting a Freeview slot. So it is best to keep the slot in the ITV family for now.

7. That just leaves Channel One which is a bit of a mess until E4 in Wales returns to Mux 2. Channel One is the only channel that might not be closing on Mux A because it has only been going for 18 months albeit part time and not in Wales peak time. I am more certain now about bid tv and CNN.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. $ky do not have a 24 hour slot if you mean Channel One. Firstly it is up to SDN who gets it if carriage expires on 15/11/10, which is at present 9am-3am in Eng, Scot & NI but 6am-7pm in Wales. I think that if Channel One is to become Challenge it would be preferable to be a 24/7 nationwide channel, especially if the Welsh Channel One is used for CITV. That would be why it would replace $ky3+1 IMHO.

2. Similarly CNN will not give up the slot, SDN will dump them. The decision has nothing to do with CNN. I am basing this prediction on the fact that the Anytime 2 slot has already gone and it was also part of the Turner stream. They only got it on the cheap many moons ago. CNN on Freeview was not the original idea for Turner. It was the only option left for them when Nuts TV folded to last out the remainder of the contract. They then defiled the CNN name by including two hours of teleshopping each night under the CNN channel name.

3. bid tv has had six years, exactly the same time as the previous sit up slot before sdn dumped them. 6 years appears to be the common sdn carriage length.

4. ESPN has stated on their own website that they are actively seeking a 24/7 outlet. This could be either on TUTV space or the new BBC/Arqiva stream or both.

5. ITV previously stated that they were looking for new ITV2+1 capacity when they launch ITV1+1 in its place. It could replace bid tv or CNN/CITV. Which is the most likely? ITV2 has only one version so Mux A suits it.

6. Now ITV Preview has appeared, that could be for ITV2+1 but it would not be necessary as the LCN 27/33 situation placeholds ITV1+1 and ITV2+1. LCN35 is a new channel, and as it has been associated with CITV on satellite, it will probably do the same on Freeview. SDN can't develop this slot properly until they get rid of Tele-G which depends on BBC Alba getting a Freeview slot. So it is best to keep the slot in the ITV family for now.

7. That just leaves Channel One which is a bit of a mess until E4 in Wales returns to Mux 2. Channel One is the only channel that might not be closing on Mux A because it has only been going for 18 months albeit part time and not in Wales peak time. I am more certain now about bid tv and CNN.

I still don't see ITV having all these slots seems a bit fantasy thread to me. You make reference to the national coverage but the only broadcaster I've heard that being an issue for was ABC1 remember they never owned a 24 hour slot.

ESPN may seek a slot elsewhere but do they have another ten million to burn on a slot midway through the sporting calendar and first season of FA Cup? Would they not try and hold into additional space for ESPN News/ESPN2?

Bid TV is a personal option no evidence to back up it's heading for the exits. I stand by CNN would seek a slot elsewhere however I'd like more Turner channels bu it's unlikely. Sky won't give up any Freeview capacity as they still have an option for Picnic they could offer Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, Sky1 in the future as a strong line up. They would also have access to SS1 and 2.

I suspect 1 slot will go and ITV have something to do about it but we will wait and see. :)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not again, are we going to get this all the flipping time with digital T.V?

the only time we did a retune on analogue was when we got new channels and the last time was years ago with Channel 5
    Forum Member
    Bid TV is a personal option no evidence to back up it's heading for the exits. I stand by CNN would seek a slot elsewhere however I'd like more Turner channels bu it's unlikely.

I agree with Ray that CNN is going (unless they've secured capacity elsewhere - maybe even reduced to an hour between 6 and 7 outside of Scotland - but Turner are unlikely to bother for reasons already given).

bid tv I don't buy - sit-up have been very vocal in the past about channels closing on Freeview. If the bid tv stream was going, they are likely to pull the same trick as last time and replace price-drop with bid tv. If this was happening we'd know about it as they like to advertise in advance that retunes will be necessary - usually telling people to retune before the changes have been made!

ESPN is one of Ray's fantasies that he will keep mentioning until it comes true. I don't think it is going anywhere although it could possibly shuffle into a different stream on the same multiplex.

Channel One can't be leaving as it is being replaced by Challenge, and if it was moving mux we'd know by now (Sky are pretty good at publicising changes like that, especially if it makes Freeview look inferior to Sky)

The pay TV crap is reasonably likely, given TUTV's lack of communicating changes, but given it's on Five's side it might not count as a new contract for SDN...

...which only really leaves S4C2, which is gone completely from S4C's website and could well be the second new contract mentioned in ITV's report. This is likely to just be replaced with the bits of QVC that aren't broadcasting in Wales at the moment :)
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    To keep this thread up-to-date with today's changes (I know they're in the changelog, but some people might be following this thread for the latest 15th November news):
    I agree with Ray that CNN is going (unless they've secured capacity elsewhere - maybe even reduced to an hour between 6 and 7 outside of Scotland - but Turner are unlikely to bother for reasons already given).

Confirmed: CNN is going. (thanks to Dave02 who found the information on the Freeview website and posted it on the Changelog.)
    Freeview website suggests tonight is the last night.

And the one we weren't expecting: Absolute Radio is moving Muxes...
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    If Absolute are moving to SDN, it's possible that they want more space for something, but let's not get carried away with more speculation. :D