Options

Acrylic or Gel Nail Extensions?

Hey,

I am getting some nail extensions done tomorrow but have not decided whether to get Acrylic or Gel..

I am leaning more towards Gel extensions, has anyone had these and are they good? :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Either has the potential to ruin your nails - but gel is better than acrylic and can look more natural. Don't do it if your intention is to grow them as, to attach them, they file down your own nail so they are very thin so, when they grow, they are very weak.

Hopefully the place you're going to will have been recommended to you - but beware of the salons that use electric tools. Salons that use electric tools also tend to use extremely strong glue and it's not a good or pleasant result :( So if they start flashing the electric sanders make a run for the door!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merroney wrote: »
    Either has the potential to ruin your nails - but gel is better than acrylic and can look more natural. Don't do it if your intention is to grow them as, to attach them, they file down your own nail so they are very thin so, when they grow, they are very weak.

Hopefully the place you're going to will have been recommended to you - but beware of the salons that use electric tools. Salons that use electric tools also tend to use extremely strong glue and it's not a good or pleasant result :( So if they start flashing the electric sanders make a run for the door!!

Errrrm that's not quite true actually. There are a lot of gel products around nowadays that require NO buffing of the natural nail. With these products you will also find that your own nails grow long and healthy underneath, as the gel (if correctly applied by a pro nail tech) will protect the natural nail.

The places to avoid are the dodgy salons popping up on every High St. They are very cheap but that's because they use inferior products and employ dubious techniques (ie use of electric tools).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does that apply to extensions too? I have CND Shellac on my nails so I know they are fine with that, it protects them and they grow like mad but the girl who does that was still advising extensions are bad news long term if you intend to grow your nails.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merroney wrote: »
    Does that apply to extensions too? I have CND Shellac on my nails so I know they are fine with that, it protects them and they grow like mad but the girl who does that was still advising extensions are bad news long term if you intend to grow your nails.

Extensions aren't bad news as long as you get a quality product applied by a decent qualified nail tech. CND Shellac is brilliant, as you already know, but CND also manufacture a hard gel product called Brisa for extensions; you'd also be fine with CND acrylic if it's used properly and you follow your tech's aftercare advice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're having extensions they WILL ruin your nails - if youre glueing something to the surface of your nail, the surface has to be keyed for the glue to hold the nail and acrylic/gel on. If you're just going to have an overlay (gel preferably), it's not neccessarily to key the surface. If you're happy with the length of your nails, go for a gel overlay or polish, such as Shellac or Jessica Geleration. Not bad for your nails, and helps them to stop breaking so easy. Gel polished also last for weeks. HTH :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I've tried both acrylic and gel nails and I found the acrylic nails were more natural and classy looking, whereas the gel just looked cheap and a bit tatty. what a liked about the acrylic nails is that you can have the natural clear or you can have pink (which is what I had) which looks lovely. if you've seen cheryl cole's nails (I'm not sure if she still has them, but she definately did when she was judging xfactor with danni.

either way, yes if you have any kind of nail extensions it will weaken your nails. when I had mine taken off it took a really long time for my nails to grow back to their full strength again.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only have my nails done about twice a year and I only have BioSculpture with no extensions. Nails Inc use this for their 'Three Week Manicure' but you may be able to find it a lot cheaper in one of your local salons, though it is not that common. BioSculpture is even kinder to the nails than Shellac, so I am told.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    If you're having extensions they WILL ruin your nails - if youre glueing something to the surface of your nail, the surface has to be keyed for the glue to hold the nail and acrylic/gel on. If you're just going to have an overlay (gel preferably), it's not neccessarily to key the surface. If you're happy with the length of your nails, go for a gel overlay or polish, such as Shellac or Jessica Geleration. Not bad for your nails, and helps them to stop breaking so easy. Gel polished also last for weeks. HTH :)

Extensions/enhancements won't ruin your nails unless they're done by someone who isn't trained properly or is using inferior products. Any damage which occurs to the natural nail is caused by the technician and the tools used; if quality products are applied and removed correctly, with the recommended aftercare being followed, then the natural nail will have no damage. And Shellac isn't a gel btw. :)
    I've tried both acrylic and gel nails and I found the acrylic nails were more natural and classy looking, whereas the gel just looked cheap and a bit tatty. what a liked about the acrylic nails is that you can have the natural clear or you can have pink (which is what I had) which looks lovely. if you've seen cheryl cole's nails (I'm not sure if she still has them, but she definately did when she was judging xfactor with danni.

either way, yes if you have any kind of nail extensions it will weaken your nails. when I had mine taken off it took a really long time for my nails to grow back to their full strength again.

See my answer above. Nail extensions won't weaken your nails if quality products are applied by a qualified nail tech and the correct aftercare routine is followed. You can also have natural clear gel overlays/extensions btw.
    I only have my nails done about twice a year and I only have BioSculpture with no extensions. Nails Inc use this for their 'Three Week Manicure' but you may be able to find it a lot cheaper in one of your local salons, though it is not that common. BioSculpture is even kinder to the nails than Shellac, so I am told.

Bio Sculpture and Shellac are both excellent treatments but I don't think there is any research available to show that Bio Sculpture is kinder than Shellac. The removal time for Shellac is shorter than for Bio which might actually suggest the opposite?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all replies :) I went with Acrylic as they said they last longer than the gel extensions. They are ok now and look quite nice and natural... but hurt a little after I first got them done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petrova wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies :) I went with Acrylic as they said they last longer than the gel extensions. They are ok now and look quite nice and natural... but hurt a little after I first got them done.

They shouldn't hurt! :eek: Whereabouts are they hurting?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petrova wrote: »

If they hurt that suggests the nail wasn't the correct fit for your nail and, once glued on, it's pulling. Ouch :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    It was my thumb nail on my right hand that was hurting, it is fine now though :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will just be the acrylic hardening and setting. Makes you thumbs feel a bit tender doesn't it! :)