Options

where to change euro to pound

TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
Forum Member
I have some euros I want to change to pounds. What's the best high street place? Post office? M& s?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the best deal from my bank.£3 commission.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best to shop around in a competitive place usually a city centre with loads of travel agents will have the best deals or you can buy online and either collect it your self on the high street or even at the airport.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a cypriot euro use it as botty paper.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Post office.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I'd have a look around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So maybe my bank can change them? It's going to go in my bank account anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas Cook has always given me the best rate. Having said that compare the most convenient and best rate (but awkward) rate you can get and see how much actual £££ difference it makes. If you are changing a small amount it might not be worth shopping around. Also watch out for commission - that varies drastically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to change €1000
  • Options
    watfordjunctionwatfordjunction Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    I have to change €1000

These seem to always have the best exchange rates across the UK, Simon Colder travel expert from TV and Radio swears by this company.

http://www.bestforeignexchange.com/Exchange-rates-check-exchange-rates.php
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No such thing as a Cypriot Euro. A Euro is a Euro.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member

Why? All Euros are still euros unless you know otherwise.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For buying Euros I always use Cash generators for the best rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not strictly true. Euros are issued by individual countries and can be identified by serial numbers. There has been speculation by serious economists about whether, say, Greek Euros would cease to be exchangeable if Greece left the Euro and announced that they would be exchanged for New Drachmas.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    So maybe my bank can change them? It's going to go in my bank account anyway

I recently paid some Euros into my bank account and they credited me in pounds..........
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As in general currecny yes, but a Cypriot Euro coin is identifiable as being Cypriot by its designs ,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Not strictly true. Euros are issued by individual countries and can be identified by serial numbers. There has been speculation by serious economists about whether, say, Greek Euros would cease to be exchangeable if Greece left the Euro and announced that they would be exchanged for New Drachmas.

Still pretty irrelevant though, they've just been bailed out, that's the whole point.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother...unless you are never ever going back to Europe.You'll get slaughtered on commission &/or bid /offer spreads .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I recently paid some Euros into my bank account and they credited me in pounds..........

Yes, that's what I ended up doing because my bank (RBS) offered the same rate as the best one I found on the high street of 1.28 euro to the pound. (at least I think it was 1.28).

Anyway I had transferred €900 a few days prior as it was in my bank account and I got £736, but when I went to the bank and paid in €900 I only got £701, so I guess I have learned my lesson there. Anyway now that I'm receiving my pay cheques directly into my bank account it's so much easier just to do the online transfer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Post office.

Used to work in a Bureau and the P.O. were our least effective competitor, their rates were awful.

The best rates are usually at Cash Generator, Money Shop type places, because the foreign exchange seems almost like a loss leader, as they want you using their services for the more lucrative cheque cashing, quick loans, pawning and gold buying.

We could never match the rates of the local Cash Generator.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother...unless you are never ever going back to Europe.You'll get slaughtered on commission &/or bid /offer spreads .

Fully agree.

I recommend simply selling them at the days current exchange rate to a friend, colleague or family member who will be visiting Europe this summer. Neither of you will pay commission, you sell at a rate better than you will get for selling them, and they buy at a rate better than they will buy at. Everyone's a winner.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Fully agree.

I recommend simply selling them at the days current exchange rate to a friend, colleague or family member who will be visiting Europe this summer. Neither of you will pay commission, you sell at a rate better than you will get for selling them, and they buy at a rate better than they will buy at. Everyone's a winner.

Smart ....

I do exactly the same with my missus ,though she earns in Euros so it's a bit of a no brainer .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Used to work in a Bureau and the P.O. were our least effective competitor, their rates were awful.

The best rates are usually at Cash Generator, Money Shop type places, because the foreign exchange seems almost like a loss leader, as they want you using their services for the more lucrative cheque cashing, quick loans, pawning and gold buying.

We could never match the rates of the local Cash Generator.

Over the counter they are, but pre-ordered on the internet to collect there and they aren't far off anywhere else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are going to Europeland again soon and can afford not to cash them in your best bet could be simply to hang on to them. Otherwise you get hammered in both directions.