Options

Why does Labour hate aspiration?

MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
Forum Member
With more attacks today on wealth creators it seems clear now that Labour hates success, it hates and attack anyone who tries to better themselves. In the last government, it hit both the rich and poor with income tax rises, now it continually attacks business. Why has Labour become a party that hates anyone who succeeds?

Comments

• Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The better individuals do the less they need the State.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would it be a rhetorical question to ask why you are asking a rhetorical question?
  • Options
    SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

This. They feel that the state should be the ones in control and that they know what's best for you.
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the less they can be controlled....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    With more attacks today on wealth creators

Businesses and the rich are not weath creators.

Consumers are!

If there is no one to purchase a product, there is no business.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With more attacks today on wealth creators it seems clear now that Labour hates success, it hates and attack anyone who tries to better themselves. In the last government, it hit both the rich and poor with income tax rises, now it continually attacks business. Why has Labour become a party that hates anyone who succeeds?
    They haven't done any of the nonsense you describe. Expecting the rich to pay their fair share is not hating success.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see any evidence that the last Labour govt hated aspiration.

Is the OP making stuff up?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does op fawn over oligarchs, Arab princes and other crooks ?
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I passionately detest Labour but my guess is that they prefer successful businesses that treat their employees well, rather than treat them with disdain and look to exploit them to solely further the wealth of the businesses owners and not of wider society.

That is not to say that the other parties don't aspire to this as well.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour are all about people being equal. Equals in wealth, equal in health and equal in education.

The problem is those who don't want the state meddling with their affairs,who want to create their own wealth, choose their own medical insurance or decide what education fits themselves better.

Labour are all about the authoritarian state. Well, the peons anyway. The upper echelons of political power never follow what they teach.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I don't see any evidence that the last Labour govt hated aspiration.

Is the OP making stuff up?

I think its just white aspiration that labour hate.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Labour haven't attacked wealth creators.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Russians aren't white?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ironically the better they do the more they need the state apparatus to stop the poor stealing their wealth.

You only need to compare the sentences handed out for violence against the person to those for stealing etc to see that the state apparatus is focused on protecting property.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they're EVIL obviously. They also hate hard work, families, puppies, ice cream, everything good in the world. . .

I hear that Ed Miliband just spends his evenings rubbing his hands together and laughing at all the pain and suffering they are going to bring after the election.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you are insisting on a Cartoon.....let's have a proper Cartoon.
    Maybe you could argue that they hate White Male Aspiration?
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    They don't. But they do believe that everyone should contribute to getting this country back on it's feet.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    They don't. But they do believe that everyone should contribute to getting this country back on it's feet.

And the Top 1% paying 30% of all income tax, investing and spending in the UK etc. obviously doesn't achieve that?

(GHF - Also rhetorical).
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 5 years of a coalition that only favours those at the top (including businesses) how can anyone suggest that Labour are anti-aspiration? It's the Conservative Party that defines that elitist viewpoint these days.

The Conservatives who are controlling and nannying, the Conservatives who gift vast sums of money to foreign countries during tough economic times, the Conservatives who pull you down to favour their rich pals - rich pals who pull the strings of the Conservative Party...

I will concede that Labour were once the anti-aspiration loons, but not any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Ironically the better they do the more they need the state apparatus to stop the poor stealing their wealth.

You only need to compare the sentences handed out for violence against the person to those for stealing etc to see that the state apparatus is focused on protecting property.

I think everyone wishes the state to enforce the law and to allow people to retain their property.

You appear to think that poor people are more likely to commit crime. I don't think that's a nice thing to say.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are bankers "wealth creators"? I thought us tax payers had bailed out the banks with hundreds of billions - while food bank usage soars - but maybe i dreamed it ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everyone wishes the state to enforce the law and to allow people to retain their property.
    Historically poor people tended not to have much and not to rob each other, the fabled unlocked doors of old. They didn't need the protection of the state.
    You appear to think that poor people are more likely to commit crime. I don't think that's a nice thing to say.

It's just that, in this context, there are more poor people than rich ones. So if a rich person gets robbed by a random person that person is more likely to be poor.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With more attacks today on wealth creators
    And how do they create the wealth do they shit gold or do they employ other people to work for them producing the wealth through their waged labour. Labour is traditionally the party of the waged labour with ideas like a fair days pay for a fair days work, as it is waged labour that produces the goods and services and the wealth, Labour is the party of the wealth creators.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how do they create the wealth do they shit gold or do they employ other people to work for them producing the wealth through their waged labour. Labour is traditionally the party of the waged labour with ideas like a fair days work for a fair days pay, as it is waged labour that produces the goods and services and the wealth, Labour is the party of the wealth creators.

Yeah, farm labourers though they were the wealth creators before the tractor came along.

Now its just the farmer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Historically poor people tended not to have much and not to rob each other, the fabled unlocked doors of old. They didn't need the protection of the state.

Yes but in the 21st century... the laws are in place to protect anyone who has something stolen. I know that in your and my rather well off middle class circles we don't spend any time with the poor but I think you'd be surprised at how many things poor people have these days! Even things worth stealing and locking the doors for!
    It's just that, in this context, there are more poor people than rich ones. So if a rich person gets robbed by a random person that person is more likely to be poor.

Nah, that wasn't what you were saying before at all ;)