Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and why only Sheilas Wheels?
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    holy-moly wrote: »
    Why is AA only set up for alcoholics - shouldn't that be for everyone
    Well, not quite everyone, but it does include a lot of motorists, and not only drink drivers. :)
  • bilijojimbobbilijojimbob Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reano72 wrote: »
    surely this is like having a "whites only 100 metre race"
    it just wouldnt happen.

Well very rarely these days ... majority of the entrants are black :p:D
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and why only Sheilas Wheels?
    Indeed. What have Mary and Jane and Betty done to be discriminated against?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Indeed. What have Mary and Jane and Betty done to be discriminated against?

:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,543
    Forum Member
    @ PamelaL

Sorry, I head to dash out at 5.30, apparently my music lesson had been rescheduled :rolleyes:
    So I would have stuck around to debate the topic and didn't post this topic just to let others discuss...:mad: I'm here now. Meh!
    (Sorry, rant over)
    (Sorry again I don't like being narky like that!!)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    reano72 wrote: »
    surely this is like having a "whites only 100 metre race"
    it just wouldnt happen.

Not quite, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    The very obvious fact is, that as a rule people find other people of their own race more attractive.
    If it's a simple throw or run then it's simple to measure this is beauty which is subjective.

Isn't there a Beauty contest for overweight women in the UK and US, I've heard of one for 'older' ladies too.

I don't think this would count a Racist either.
    Racist:
    A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
    Forum Member
    I think beauty competitions are ridiculous anyway. How can one panel of judges class people? Everyone has different opinions. I mean I swear that there are 1 or 2 better looking people in my village than some in Miss World!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit of a grey area. Yes, the basic principle behind it is racist: allowing one race; denying another. But I think context needs to be appreciated here. It's a fact that black men and women are under represented in mainstream fashion. As Prince said above me, there are beauty contests for overweight and older people - two other groups that are largely or completely ignored in 'normal' fashion shows.

It's simply giving a disadvantaged group the chance to shine - and sadly, in this case, that is only achievable by giving black women complete priority.
  • Holly GolightlyHolly Golightly Posts: 4,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its one of those situations where if you took it to the highest court, you'd probably succeed under discrimination laws - they'd have to change it.

However, I'd bet no one will take it that far. A lot of organisations rely on this kind of thing.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Precisely, as any group trying to promote a "white women's fashion show" would soon find out. It is out and out racism pure and simple.
    bevheth wrote: »
    Perhaps if it was held in a predominantly black culture and white women who entered rarely won due to the judges being mainly black people who tended to favour women they found culturally more to their tastes, then it would be acceptable to have a non black women's beauty contest.

I'm not sure just how much evidence of this "favouritism" their is, but even if there were, I still don't think it's sufficient reason to set up a separate black women's fashion show.

Does anybody know whether race discrimination laws actually allow the minority ethnic group to do this ? I'm never sure whether they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duplicate post
  • bilijojimbobbilijojimbob Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure just how much evidence of this "favouritism" their is, but even if there were, I still don't think it's sufficient reason to set up a separate black women's fashion show.

Does anybody know whether race discrimination laws actually allow the minority ethnic group to do this ? I'm never sure whether they do.

This sounds as if you're implying that 'minority ethnics' mustn't celebrate their culture:confused:
    Forum Member
    Why would anyone take it to court?
    It's not racist in the sense that its the promotion of one race and meant to denegrate another.

I mean overweight or the over 30's could take other beauty contests to court for being sizeist or ageist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like someone else said it is simple open up a magazine or newspaper, how many black models do you see? i can only name naomi campbell (who only makes headlines because shes bonkers)

So there is a competetion exclusively for black people, if it was a normal show, how many models would be white?
    Forum Member

Favouritism it's all around you very obvious fact is, that as a rule people find other people of their own race more attractive.
    Some people even have what's known as a mirror bias and find people who look very much like them extremely attractive.

Have you checked the what the media portrays as beautiful these days, skinny, tall, young women.
    Where are all the short, overweight, over thirty's?
    The short, overweight over thirty's don't seem to be going short of male attention.

Look at beauty queens of the 50's would a woman of that size and weight win a contest today?
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the OP has introduced some confusion by using 'fashion show' in the title, when the report is about a beauty contest. These are two separate things.

In the world of fashion models will thrive if they have the particular 'look' in favour at any one time. At the moment the Eastern Europeans and Russians are all over the catwalks, though there are quite a few very successful black models.

However, the actual report is about a beauty contest. These almost invariably have specific criteria for entry (usually age), but there are plenty of US plus size beauty pageants, and they've been introduced in the UK too. There are certainly lesbian beauty contests. This is one for black women.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't hear of many men moaning that they can't enter a beauty contest. You don't hear of many adults trying to enter a kids beauty pageant. I don't see why there should be a problem with a beauty contest for black ladies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't it just be that the black models aren't "pretty" enough, irrespective of the colour of their skin?

Do you really believe that?
  • Holly GolightlyHolly Golightly Posts: 4,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote: »

Well I guess its like when people in the BB forum (particularly the year Makosi was in the house, IIRC) who say things like "its time we had a black BB winner" or "Makosi didn't win because she was black".

No, Makosi didn't win because she was a nightmare.

I think that people are far, far too quick to play the race card at times.
    Forum Member
    Yeh you're right, the race card is played too many times. For example, this year many pro-Charley supporters on BB say that some anti-Charley supporters hate her because she's part black. No, we dislike her because she's a vile little troll, no more!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex91 wrote: »
    Yeh you're right, the race card is played too many times. For example, this year many pro-Charley supporters on BB say that some anti-Charley supporters hate her because she's part black. No, we dislike her because she's a vile little troll, no more!

I don't think that's quite comparable.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote: »
    It's no less feasible than racism being evident in the beauty world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's no less feasible than racism being evident in the beauty world.

Although this article was written in 1999, I think it is still very relevant I still do not see many black models on the cover of magazines. There are the staples like Naomi, Iman and ocassionally Alek, but they are starting to pass their sell by date and we both know those aren't the only three black models in the world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/racism/Story/0,,197270,00.html

["In Milano they can never use a black girl or an oriental. Very few," says Daniele Bianco.

"We need two or three **** for France from Africa, in the defence, like Desailly."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This sounds as if you're implying that 'minority ethnics' mustn't celebrate their culture:confused:

Ah, interesting....it all hinges, apparently, on this one single word, "minority". Why is that, I wonder ? Ethnic is ethnic is ethnic, or maybe not.....:confused:

Which brings me straight back to my question above. Does separate race discrimination legislation exist dependent upon ethnic demography ?