Options

Can anyone recommend some good hair straighteners?

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ideally not too expensive...anyone bought any good ones recently that they could recommend? Thanks if you can help.

Comments

• Options
    Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i recommend ghd - they are the best imo, but they are expensive unfortunately :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep, ghd, everyone i know swears by them

but, like the previous poster said, they aint cheap
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kodo straighteners are just as good as GHD! i have had both and cant tell any difference.
    Also 'Herstyler' is a brill straightener...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've heard good things about GHD before. I guess it's like any other product....you get what you pay for! :) I'll check out Kodo and Herstyler too. Very much appreciated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had ghd but i seriously think and i know some of you will now have a go and disagree with me but i think babyliss pro 230 are much better than ghds and a third of the price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelly30 wrote: »
    i had ghd but i seriously think and i know some of you will now have a go and disagree with me but i think babyliss pro 230 are much better than ghds and a third of the price.

I'm thinking of getting some of those or some nice remington ones I saw, decisions, decisions!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great....I'm so grateful to everyone's who's offering suggestions. Reviews are useful, but there's nothing quite like personal recommendations so please do keep them coming! I'm consdiering the Babyliss pro 230 now. I did buy the BeLiss dryer/straightener which really didn't work on my hair at all...but I'm hoping a proper straightener will do the job better. Very grateful for the advice as I don't want to get it wrong a second time! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    This is great....I'm so grateful to everyone's who's offering suggestions. Reviews are useful, but there's nothing quite like personal recommendations so please do keep them coming! I'm consdiering the Babyliss pro 230 now. I did buy the BeLiss dryer/straightener which really didn't work on my hair at all...but I'm hoping a proper straightener will do the job better. Very grateful for the advice as I don't want to get it wrong a second time! :)

This is the Babyliss website, might help you. I keep visiting it, you know, looking at the straigteners, thinking shall I, shant I, like expecting the screen to give me some message saying 'these are the ones you need'!

http://www.babyliss.co.uk/jkcm/default.aspx?pg=2372
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive tried other babyliss ones but the 230s are excellent, heat up within seconds, perfect straightening etc but most importantly they dont dry or frizz your hair.
    me and my 11yr old daughter straighten our hair daily and she has highlights and they dont damage or weaken the hair at all.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Seeing as we're talking straighteners, has anyone got any recommendations for straighteners for shorter hair & layers? Mine are no good now I've chopped my locks off!
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    This may seem like a daft question but what is it that makes some straighteners better than others? Is it the max temperature, the heat up time. I would have thougt it depended on your hair and how skilled you are at straightening on how good it looks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    This may seem like a daft question but what is it that makes some straighteners better than others? Is it the max temperature, the heat up time. I would have thougt it depended on your hair and how skilled you are at straightening on how good it looks.
    i look at everything from them when i buy them but my main thing is if they dry the hair out and the end result, because my 11yr old does her hair i dont want her to damage it and also they have to be good because she dont want to spend ages doing her hair each morning and shes not that good at it but with these they make the job much easier.
    with these straighteners we use them for :- my hair long with longer layers dyed.
    my daughters:- just past her shoulders with shorter choppier layers and highlighted .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got some Babyliss straighteners about 3 and a half years ago for £30 and they aren't GHDs but if I separate my hair and straighten it in little sections they work really well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelly30 wrote: »
    i look at everything from them when i buy them but my main thing is if they dry the hair out and the end result, because my 11yr old does her hair i dont want her to damage it and also they have to be good because she dont want to spend ages doing her hair each morning and shes not that good at it but with these they make the job much easier.
    with these straighteners we use them for :- my hair long with longer layers dyed.
    my daughters:- just past her shoulders with shorter choppier layers and highlighted .

Yeah, this is what I am looking into. I have been told that the ceramic plates are the ones to get as they don't dry out of damage the hair, less frizz so I'm told! I'm looking for ones that heat up quickly so I can straigten and rush out the door. I'm also looking for the slimmest design as they are easier to manouver through the hair when lifting up sections. Also having a heat bag/stand to put them in when they are finished with is a bonus, so they don't burn anything when they are cooling down.

So many things to consider!

What products does everyone use on their hair before/when straightening? Mouse or serums etc, this has always confused me, do the straigteners stick to your hair if you use products? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngelStar wrote: »
    This is the Babyliss website, might help you. I keep visiting it, you know, looking at the straigteners, thinking shall I, shant I, like expecting the screen to give me some message saying 'these are the ones you need'!

[/url]

:) Oh, I can really relate to that! I have such problems making a decision to purchase something...I agonise for ever over all the possibilities! Leaning heavily towards the pro 230 at the moment, thanks to the posts on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngelStar wrote: »
    Yeah, this is what I am looking into. I have been told that the ceramic plates are the ones to get as they don't dry out of damage the hair, less frizz so I'm told! I'm looking for ones that heat up quickly so I can straigten and rush out the door. I'm also looking for the slimmest design as they are easier to manouver through the hair when lifting up sections. Also having a heat bag/stand to put them in when they are finished with is a bonus, so they don't burn anything when they are cooling down.

So many things to consider!

What products does everyone use on their hair before/when straightening? Mouse or serums etc, this has always confused me, do the straigteners stick to your hair if you use products? :confused::confused:

i just use nicky clarke heat spray before i straighten then run a tiny bit of wax through once ive finished (i dont really like serum but everyones different :))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FHI's are as good as GHD's, and a bit cheaper, and we got ours in pink!
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to share a flat with an Iranian man who let me into a little trick some Iranian women use...

...a clothes iron on a silk setting, an ironing board, and a friend.

It really does work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bought the babyliss pro 230, they were on special offer in argos for forty pounds a little while back. they are amazing, the best pair of straighteners I have ever had, i have really thick coarse hair but they straighten it really well and really quickly.

not just that but you never burn yourself using them as they have heat protecting covers around them! which are amazing.
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also use the babyliss pro 230 and they are just as good at straightening my hair as the GHDs (although they aren't as good for doing flicks and curl unders on the ends)

I bought them from Costco last year for £25 plus VAT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4428080/Trail/searchtext%3ESTRAIGHTENERS.htm

Definately these.
    Just as good as GHD's in my opinion.
    & only £39.99
    Best straighteners I've had.
    My friend has GHD's but Babyliss Pro 230 do the job just as good.
    :)
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    Id say ghd.

They use infared heat as well as the heat from the plates so you only need to go over once the IR heat makes your hair release oils leaving it feeling soft.
    Cheap straighteners leave your hair feeling like burnt straw especially if its coloured or chemically treated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    ghd I reckon...My hair is really thick (I mean REALLY thick lol) and naturally very curly and these ones are the only ones that control it properly - i.e. straighten properly, no damage etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with GHDs, i have had mine for over a year and theyre the best ones ive ever bought:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where can you buy ghd's? sorry for butting in but reading this thread and thinking of buying some straighteners for my mum for xmas - she has shortish extremely thick hair