Panorama: Hungry Britain

124»

Comments

• VadmunVadmun Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Yes, Labour are doing a bad job at being the opposition and the Lib Dems will hopefully get a trounching at the next election.

I worry that the Tories will use the unemployed as a scapegoat again and use them as the boogymen for all the ills of society, that only they can deal with.

Also the EU referendum will be a draw.

It is only UKIPs effect on them that may change things.

Exactly, I hate to give them any credit, but the Tories have done an absolutely brilliant job of divide & rule, especially doing a smear campaign on the neediest, most vulnerable and disenfranchised.

the irony being that the middle classes being the most hard hit in the last few years, the Tories have effectively given them carte blanche to hate and blame, albeit the wrong people.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on benefits & since the Tories/coalition came to power, my benefits have increased.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Edwina Currie thinks that people spend their money on other things because they "know" that foodbanks are available? :confused: What utter nonsense. Does she have any idea how humiliating and degrading it is to have to ask for a hand-out? To beg for food? And she thinks this is a lifestyle for people, that they're happy to do it? What a load of crap.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Edwina Currie thinks that people spend their money on other things because they "know" that foodbanks are available? :confused: What utter nonsense. Does she have any idea how humiliating and degrading it is to have to ask for a hand-out? To beg for food? And she thinks this is a lifestyle for people, that they're happy to do it? What a load of crap.

The only logical thing you would normally expect to conclude from that is that she is an idiot who doesn't have a clue how people on low income think.

Either that, or it sounds like the kind of thing an evil person would say. It's terrifying if her views are representative of her party.
    A party whose views seem to be aimed at making the lives of people who aren't as privileged as theirs an utterly miserable and harsh existence.
    You would think that they're evil wouldn't you?

Poor people use charity because they're selfish and greedy, so we must stop charity helping them. Apparently.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Private rents are high, not because council rents are low, but because private rents also include profit.

So no, council housing is not being supplied at discount.

Social housing is supplied at a lower price than its equivalent in the private sector. This is so self-evident that I don't know why on earth you're trying to dispute it.:confused:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Social housing is supplied at a lower price than its equivalent in the private sector. This is so self-evident that I don't know why on earth you're trying to dispute it.:confused:

Yes because there is no landlord wanting profit.

It is not provided by charity. It is paid for by tax and then paid off by the rent that is taken in.

Private rent is the thing that is wrong, NOT council rents.

Housing should be for housing, not making money.