Thinking of buying a laptop for christmas

With a budget of around £350. Been looking at various ones online and the very.co.uk ones on offer that have been advertised on tv. Can anyone recommend one on this budget? Also daft question but if a laptop (new one) comes installed with say windows 8 will it also come with the disc?

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope they don't generally come with a disc these days - especially the budget ones.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    So how would you go on with doing a full install should you need to?
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how would you go on with doing a full install should you need to?
    You make a copy when you first open the laptop, you're given the option to do this when you set the laptop up.
    Dave
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MEDION AKOYA P7815 I bought the other month came with two dvds really glad it did as well as windows 8 would not go probably and even ie stopped working but after full format it ran much faster and was able to put windows 8.1 on.
    Forum Member
    dmp wrote: »
    You make a copy when you first open the laptop, you're given the option to do this when you set the laptop up.
    Dave

How does that work if its already installed?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    How does that work if its already installed?

Most if not all laptops will have a recovery partition on the hard drive which will restore the machine to factory condition, as it was when you bought it.
    This is fine if your Windows becomes corrupted, you can restore directly from the partition.
    If your hard drive fails then you lose the restore partition as well so that is why you can/should burn some DVD's of that partition so that you can boot from it and put it on a new hard drive .... if necessary.
    Forum Member
    Oh right thanks for that.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a Lenavo for around £350 from Currys in April. had about 4 pc in the past,this is by far the best. very quiet and quick. sound superb. i dont use it for all the hi tech stuff to be honest, just browsing,playing poker while listening to music. does the job fine,
    It came preloaded with windows8 for £50 which saved a lot of time, store told me they did this at Christmas so people can get straight online.
    My laptop was blue but this is roughly the same model.
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-g500-15-6-laptop-21707559-pdt.html