Options

Rillington Place.

TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody else watching this. Loved the movie with Richard Attenborugh. His portrail of John Christie was chilling.

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder. I've just set the Tivo box up. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    daisy_johnsdaisy_johns Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it started already?
  • Options
    Hercule ParrowHercule Parrow Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    have I slept in for 48 hrs ?
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tuesday at 9pm on BBC1, for 3 weeks.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope BBC show the original film soon, really creepy and I always remember that freeze frame at the end when Christie gets caught by the police. David Attenborough was great in that film.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the TiVo set for it. The Attenborough film was great.

Just noticed there is another thread on this, some in-depth discussion. If anyone's interested: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2142764
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the film, hope this is as good.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think I've saw the film but really looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some posters are getting their future and past tenses mixed up.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some posters are getting their future and past tenses mixed up.

Yes, agreed. This thread has been quite confusing in parts.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    Hope BBC show the original film soon, really creepy and I always remember that freeze frame at the end when Christie gets caught by the police. David Attenborough was great in that film.

Was he? and all this time I thought that it was his brother Richard. ;-)
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    David Attenborough was great in that film.

It was Richard, not David! David would have been busy with his newts and baboons.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen the film so not sure there is any point in watching this, No one will top David Attenborough as Christie.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was Richard wot done it...
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I've seen the film so not sure there is any point in watching this, No one will top David Attenborough as Christie.

Erm....... Richard .......Pay Attention!!:D:p
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he? and all this time I thought that it was his brother Richard. ;-)
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    It was Richard, not David! David would have been busy with his newts and baboons.
    It was Richard wot done it...
    Erm....... Richard .......Pay Attention!!:D:p

Yes i of course meant Richard :D
    Great film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it's a great performance by one of the attenborough twins and john hurt, but it's hardly a great film, it's a workmanlike adaptation of a minor book, the squalid story of a squalid serial killer barely known outside the uk.

While Fleischer gets the feel of the post war london gloom , he is hamstrung by the need to be accurate to the complex timeline of the book, and fails to rustle up much drama or tension in the entire film.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    it's a great performance by one of the attenborough twins and john hurt, but it's hardly a great film, it's a workmanlike adaptation of a minor book, the squalid story of a squalid serial killer barely known outside the uk.

While Fleischer gets the feel of the post war london gloom , he is hamstrung by the need to be accurate to the complex timeline of the book, and fails to rustle up much drama or tension in the entire film.

Like others here, I thought it was a great film.

I believe the current theories on who killed who are different from what Kennedy (who wrote the book) thought, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »

I believe the current theories on who killed who are different from what Kennedy (who wrote the book) thought, though.

well, authors are entitled to put forward theories and make some moolah from book sales but, i think kennedy got it right, christie is responsible for all the murders at 10 rillington place.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member

I'm going to give it a go but any sign of intrusive background music or inauthenticity (over-glamorous women cos they wouldn't have been in 1948) and it's game over! The Attenborough film was such a classic I wonder if it can be bettered.

(I didn't watch Poldark but saw a few minutes of it and was struck by a very glamorous girl in a field meant to be scything wheat. Amazing how an 18th century Cornish girl could get hold of lip gloss and mascara.)
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, authors are entitled to put forward theories and make some moolah from book sales but, i think kennedy got it right, christie is responsible for all the murders at 10 rillington place.

Totally agree - Evans was the unluckiest man in the world - It's a very sad story. I think these authors who enjoy riddles and theories and ignore the actual compelling evidence in front of them should consider the victims and relatives of the victims who are still fighting to clear his name after all this time.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member

He was distracting though due to the fact he would commit the murder then in that lovely soft voice talk about lions on the African savannah. It wasn't David it was Richard. :p
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    I'm going to give it a go but any sign of intrusive background music or inauthenticity (over-glamorous women cos they wouldn't have been in 1948) and it's game over! The Attenborough film was such a classic I wonder if it can be bettered.

(I didn't watch Poldark but saw a few minutes of it and was struck by a very glamorous girl in a field meant to be scything wheat. Amazing how an 18th century Cornish girl could get hold of lip gloss and mascara.)

Tardis! :) In all seriousness though I do know what you mean. Don't forget the plucked eyebrows, liner and push up bras either.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way they advertise this programme, as if it's exciting and 'great to watch.'

Real people died in this story. Raped and murdered, including a baby. Also the death at the hands of the state of an innocent man.

I would never watch anything that glamorises real events.

Exactly, and that film told it as it was. It didn't glamorise anything.