Big Protest in London this Saturday - men not allowed

124»

Comments

• jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Why would any man want to be part of stupid marches like this anyway?

Because there is a real problem with domestic violence and there are plenty of men who are not only victims of that themselves but who love and care for victims (of both sexes).

Do you know, of all the experiences I had had in my life, being regularly mentally and physically abused by my (ex) partner was one of the least fun. And two of the three wonderful people who helped me most in getting through it were men.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Because there is a real problem with domestic violence and there are plenty of men who are not only victims of that themselves but who love and care for victims (of both sexes).

Do you know, of all the experiences I had had in my life, being regularly mentally and physically abused by my (ex) partner was one of the least fun. And two of the three wonderful people who helped me most in getting through it were men.

Exactly! This. And yet those men, who could do so much for furthering the cause and getting the message out there, are not permitted to do so on this march.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly! This. And yet those men, who could do so much for furthering the cause and getting the message out there, are not permitted to do so on this march.
    Yes, I think it's an own goal, for reasons others have given, and a shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else expect that some guys are going to troll the marchers and the women are going to respond violently?

I remember seeing this happen before in some news story.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    On their website I have found this:

WHY WOMEN ONLY?

The Million Women Rise march is open to all women and children. We have planned for the march to be women-only for a number of reasons.

Women and children in the UK and elsewhere around the world continue to experience violence every minute of every hour of every day in our homes, on our streets, on our public transport, at our places of work and in countries where there is war.

The idea for the Million Women Rise event came from a group of women who dreamed of a strong visible presence of thousands of women marching together, in unity, to say ‘enough is enough’.

Women have been socially, culturally and economically conditioned to defer to men, to take our lead from men, to behave in ways approved of by men. On this particular day, we want women to come and feel the strength, the exhilaration and power of being with other women, to celebrate ourselves, to sing, shout and chant at the top of our voices, in all our diversity, to demonstrate however we want because we’re women in the company of other women.

Doesn't really wash with me and doesn't really answer the question. It certainly doesn't help further the meaning of their cause with me, a man, which is very sad.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't really wash with me and doesn't really answer the question. It certainly doesn't help further the meaning of their cause with me, a man, which is very sad.

I suppose as long as it does for the women involved they will have achieved their objective.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    On their website I have found this:

WHY WOMEN ONLY?

The Million Women Rise march is open to all women and children. We have planned for the march to be women-only for a number of reasons.

Women and children in the UK and elsewhere around the world continue to experience violence every minute of every hour of every day in our homes, on our streets, on our public transport, at our places of work and in countries where there is war.

The idea for the Million Women Rise event came from a group of women who dreamed of a strong visible presence of thousands of women marching together, in unity, to say ‘enough is enough’.

Women have been socially, culturally and economically conditioned to defer to men, to take our lead from men, to behave in ways approved of by men. On this particular day, we want women to come and feel the strength, the exhilaration and power of being with other women, to celebrate ourselves, to sing, shout and chant at the top of our voices, in all our diversity, to demonstrate however we want because we’re women in the company of other women.

They lost me with their demand that International Women's Day should be made a Bank Holiday.

There have always been men that supported equality for women (and opposed violence), and without their support in male dominated places like Parliament we might never have got the vote or equal pay or the change that stopped rape in marriage being legal. Excluding supportive men because other men are violent is about as daft as it gets for me - and I am a feminist through and through... but then so are many men.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    They do make one seem more important than the other though.

Ah me, for once I thought DS was rallying round a good cause important to women - but all that's happening is pique at not being centre stage!
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see the symbolic nature of "women only", and in itself I don't have any problem with it.

However i think the radfem mask has slipped a few times on their website for me to think its just about symbolism.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

It's crystal clear. No anti-male conspiracy, just a way for women to feel empowered on the day. If any bloke is that bothered about being excluded, I suggest to line the route and cheer them on, because it's not about you.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it looks a good march for women, but I think they done something wrong.Because when you first look at it -it looks like simply a cause of domestic violence- when actually it's regarding the bad international treatment of women in some countries, AND domestic violence etc.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    urt31 wrote: »
    The event is aimed at one issue. It'd be like turning up at a cancer research event asking why they aren't fundraising for AIDS research.

I disagree, it would be more like asking AIDS researchers for support but not offering any in return.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

It's crystal clear. No anti-male conspiracy, just a way for women to feel empowered on the day. If any bloke is that bothered about being excluded, I suggest to line the route and cheer them on, because it's not about you.

Or organise another one. If enough people want it, it'll catch on. Maybe even become the main event. That's how this started- by women, well, deciding they needed one and then organising one.

If you don't like the party someone else is having, then get off your ass and hold your own.