Options

Britain on the Fiddle BBC1. Now

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Britain on the fiddle, how about the bbc and their fat cat wages!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG he didn't know he was stealing. Chinny reckon.

He knew his friend was dead, yet he still claimed the money that wasn't his.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Yeah yeah, he 'found' the badge. But he still didn't give it back after telling his story.

AND he has another one. They should check him out for other thefts, he seems dodgy.

So does his brother.

The brother should be done for assaulting the cameraman.

There were in a public place and so he can film whatever he wants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The brother should be done for assaulting the cameraman.

There were in a public place and so he can film whatever he wants.

It always amazes me how people like that only care about their rights (which they don't even have) and yet don't care about the rights of the disabled to be able to park.
  • Options
    LobsterSandwichLobsterSandwich Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Hold the spit from the coffee please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would someone who is obviously wealthy go to such lengths to avoid paying a few quid to park, it's beyond belief

They have a whole attitude that they are supreme beings and above everything. Laws don't apply to them and you don't get anywhere by paying for things if you can get around them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG they are not showing the next episode until the New year. :(

What a fiddle.
  • Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah yeah, he 'found' the badge. But he still didn't give it back after telling his story.

AND he has another one. They should check him out for other thefts, he seems dodgy.

So does his brother.

Don't forget that both men still live with their parents and probably pay very little rent(if any) or living expense such as food, utilities, council tax, insurance, etc.

If I was still living with mum and had no discernible outgoings I would also use my wages to pay for flash cars too.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these people are 'Hard working striving' scum.

But you won't see the government making them scape goats for the ills of the UK. :mad:

True to form I see:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It always amazes me how people like that only care about their rights (which they don't even have) and yet don't care about the rights of the disabled to be able to park.

They are supreme beings, a class above everyone and everything.

Until they get a reality check.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    I know, it makes you laugh doesn't it :D

What's the fuss? Apparently benefit fraud in this country is minuscule.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    OMG they are not showing the next episode until the New year. :(

What a fiddle.

Doing crap in the ratings apparently.
  • Options
    super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £500 fine for the bloke with a stolen disability badge !!!!! The bloke owned a big house & 3 cars (one an Audi R8) & he get a £500 fine!!!

Similarly the rich stuck up foreign woman who displayed the badge outside Harrods with a similar stupidily low fine.

The courts is this country really are a joke:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Quick mother-in-law the story is that you are inside Harrods! Turn the TV down!"

If the woman was at home when the daft snotty bint was in Harrods 'waiting for her' , The car with the disability badge being outside....... how did she get to London - public transport? Taxi? I though she was disabled and had mobility problems and needed the car to get around ...:confused:
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    What's the fuss? Apparently benefit fraud in this country is minuscule.

You forgot to provide any evidence again. Please show some evidence that anyone has described the amount of benefit fraud as "minuscule".

The more enlightened posters have quoted the accepted and best estimate of 0.7% from the DWP and National Fraud Office. The NFO confirm that this "excellent" estimate covers both identified and hidden fraud.

Whilst the overpayments of £1.2bn pa are significant, the evidence shows that the overwhelming majority of claimants are genuine. The NFO report also shows that tax fraud is £14bn pa and a far bigger issue than benefit fraud.

All fraud is wrong and should be punished but the obsession of some with benefit fraud, which according to the NFO represents 1.6% of total fraud, is rather bizarre.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would someone who is obviously wealthy go to such lengths to avoid paying a few quid to park, it's beyond belief

Great question.

If you can afford to drive a £75,000 Nissan GTR; a £90,000 Audi R8, plus a mini fleet of Mercedes Benz's & a brother who drives a Bentley, sure you can afford to pay to pay for 3 hours in London?:confused:

I'd love a psychologist to interview people like that & publish their findings, because I believe it would make fascinating reading.
  • Options
    ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I was thrilled to see these people challenged: too few IMO!

In my experience, at least two thirds of the time Blue Badges are used by able-bodied relatives of the holder without his/her presence in the car. You would think that they - of all people -would appreciate how crucial it is for a disabled person to be able to park as close as possible to the destination, yet I think that most of these people see it as a kind of perk and compensation for any inconvenience deriving from having a disabled relative. There is also the altogether much more unsavoury straightforward exploitation of a disabled relative. It's vile stuff whichever way you look at it, and it should be challenged at every opportunity. Genuine holders like myself will be delighted to produce evidence of entitlement.

I never understood why the name of the holder was removed from the front of the badge: you had roughly 50% immediate alert of possible fraudulent use of Blue Badges (or, as I call it, theft of parking concessions for the mobility impaired who really need it - bit of a mouthful, but true).

I remember on one occasion - back in the days when the holder's name was on the front of the badge - seeing an able-bodied woman come out of a car parked in a crucially desirable bay (near both my dentist and my optician). I asked her why she was taking our parking spaces when in the past I had had to go back home and miss appointments because there was no parking. She became quite aggressive straight away (as these people are wont) and asked me how I knew that she did not have 'a hidden disability'. I calmly replied :'because the badge is made out in the name of a Mr'. She then said that she was picking up her grandfather or something. I said to her: 'No, you're not'. The response unleashed a torrent of abuse where I was called a f*****g bitch who should mind her own business.

That's precisely the point: it IS my business, and I do hope that this programme inspires officials to challenge the people who deprive us of opportunities to lead as independent a life as possible.

End of rant (temporarily).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because the more money some people have the more they want to keep it... it becomes an obsession with them. That's why aged rock stars like the Stones and U2 who have more millions than they and their families could spend in a lifetime keep on going on tour and possibly minimise their tax obligations by shoving it overseas. More than enough is never enough for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You forgot to provide any evidence again. Please show some evidence that anyone has described the amount of benefit fraud as "minuscule".

The more enlightened posters have quoted the accepted and best estimate of 0.7% from the DWP and National Fraud Office. The NFO confirm that this "excellent" estimate covers both identified and hidden fraud.

Whilst the overpayments of £1.2bn pa are significant, the evidence shows that the overwhelming majority of claimants are genuine. The NFO report also shows that tax fraud is £14bn pa and a far bigger issue than benefit fraud.

All fraud is wrong and should be punished but the obsession of some with benefit fraud, which according to the NFO represents 1.6% of total fraud, is rather bizarre.

Interesting that you choose to believe these particular government figures/estimates?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    no mp's featured on this program yet i suppose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Not yet (if ever) and we have to wait till next year to see more people an benefits abusing the system, but this time doing it abroad.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    See £400,000 fraud from tax fraud from a business. There is no way someone abusing the benefits system could defraud that much.

So business fraud is way worse than benefit fraud in terms of amount.
    You also have to factor the number of frauds in each category.

Some examples
    A BIRMINGHAM mental health nurse has been struck off following her conviction for fiddling more than £54,000 in tax credits for six children who were not hers.
    A mother-of-eight has been found guilty of fraudulently receiving more than £350,000 in benefits and tax credits by claiming some of her children had disabilities and conditions.
    A £1million benefit fraud who claimed she acted under a voodoo curse – and produced her daughter's severed fingers in court as evidence – was jailed for five years yesterday.
    A family of African fraudsters stole at least £4million from taxpayers in a 20-year scam.
    Two members of a ‘Con Air’ Roma gypsy family who jetted in and out of the UK to pocket more than £800,000 in benefits have been ordered to pay back just £17.65p.
    Three Jobcentre civil servants, who were the ringleaders of a £1.7million plot involving at least 1,767 bogus claims for maternity benefit, tax credit and Jobseeker's Allowance, were jailed for a total of 23 years today.
    A scamming couple, who claimed almost £150,000 through benefits after inventing ten fictitious children, were sentenced for nearly two years in jail each yesterday at Southend Crown Court.
    Asylum seeker who claimed to have been gang-raped and witnessed family's murder in Somalia exposed as £250k benefit fraudster

Retired joiner Norman Brennan, 70, fled to Mijas from Britain five years ago just as he was due to be sentenced for embezzling almost £120,000 under the name of his brother who lived abroad.
    A family of travellers educated their children at private schools by claiming more than £130,000 in illegal handouts, it has emerged.
    Benefit fraudsters pocketed at least £1million by claiming that 500 people lived in a small and dingy three-bedroom ex-council flat.
    A mother and daughter who bought eight houses and a number of luxury cars through a benefits scam have been ordered to repay more than £600,000.
    A mother claimed her children and husband were severely disabled in a £112,000 benefits fraud to fund her obsession with celebrities.
    Sorry to upset your delusions.

• Options
    Forum Member
    Not yet (if ever) and we have to wait till next year to see more people an benefits abusing the system, but this time doing it abroad.

i doubt we will somhow ;)
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to episode three to see if any of our esteemed elected representatives are featured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to episode three to see if any of our esteemed elected representative are featured.

i wouldn't hold your breath ;)