Helicopter crashes into pub in Glasgow

Comments

• Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Poor visibility was a factor as I recall.
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Weather and lack of safety procedures
    Mark. wrote: »
    The full report is still to come out, but so far it's weather and safety that seems to be to blame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Vauxhall_helicopter_crash#Investigation

cheers
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kay Burley bound to appear soon
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    Thanks. The helicopter dropped like a stone out of the sky according to Jim Murphy MP, who witnessed it from a car park.

Very odd. Helicopters shouldn't just "drop like a stone", even if the engine cuts out. It should be possible to glide them down.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Very odd. Helicopters shouldn't just "drop like a stone", even if the engine cuts out. It should be possible to glide them down.

Not so.That's a glider you're thinking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. The rotors would slow not suddenly stop?
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes it sound like something pretty catastrophic occurred.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Murphy was very distressed (understandably) so may have got it wrong.

Lots of conflicting reports from witnesses. Some say it dropped suddenly and others say it cartwheeled. Others say it was circling and clearly in distress

Dark night. Shock in effect. Can see why it's unclear
  • SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Local reports say 2 dead.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there really anything to be gained from looking up helicopter models, investigating precise causes, debating what they coulda-woulda-shoulda done mere minutes after the event? Christ almighty.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sluger wrote: »

How sad. :(
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    You would never be able to tell gordon smart worked for the sun would you?

Thoughts are with all involved, hoping that everyone gets out safely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there really anything to be gained from looking up helicopter models, investigating precise causes, debating what they coulda-woulda-shoulda done mere minutes after the event? Christ almighty.

I think people are simply discussing what's on the news at the moment?
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member

yes right away by the experts in charge
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Source?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Police Helicopter crashed in Muirkirk back in 2002 which I remember well :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1826661.stm
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One witness implying that helicopter landed on roof, then the roof started to come down slowly. Although she says she was round the corner from the impact, listening to the band when it happened.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Somebody overhearing something and then posting it on Twitter isn't what i'd call a local report.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not crass or ghoulish though, I think people are just being informative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It fills the demand for news these days

Even the might CNN are covering this with basically still twitter shots

Interesting to hear a witness inside the pub describe it happening very slowly, compared to those outside and their reports of a sudden drop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder about the benefits versus risks of flying police helicopters over cities all the time. Have they stopped anything worse than the crashes they've been involved in? It's the same with police car chases. It really needs to be looked at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delected
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I think people are simply discussing what's on the news at the moment?
    Some people are. Meanwhile some vultures have got their trench coats on already.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kws wrote: »
    I do wonder about the benefits versus risks of flying police helicopters over cities all the time. Have they stopped anything worse than the crashes they've been involved in? It's the same with police car chases. It really needs to be looked at.

The base for the helicopter is nearby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite depressing that the PM 'tweets' about this.

It's all so impersonal, un needed and almost like a race to say something (whilst saying nothing)