Options

Open All Hours is back!!

Comments

• Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the orginal but not this one very much.

Fair enough i enjoyed it though.

Partiuclarly Granville turning into his Uncle.:D:D
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually surprised how positive the reaction is on here! :o

Ken
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It was a obvious pilot as far as I can see

The pilot has crashed and exploded into a million pieces never to be seen again.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it was what it was. 30 minutes of mini scenes with as many of the old cast included as possible but with no serious plot or story line. It was harmless really... but not great either. I think I'd have much rather they had a theme for the episode so the final dialogue actually meant something. But I guess they just decided against that approach with it being a one off.

Only real laugh for me was the till bit. Knew it was coming but it was still funny.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Now that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be at all. pleasantly surprised.

I wonder if they are judging it as a pilot?

Sign of the times was that the theme tune and titles were sped up. Ah back when they had the time to actually show titles that you could read!
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it wasn't great but it was a very nice attempt to rekindle some nice memories for the shows original fans.
    It did have too many elements for a single episode but seen as its a one off I think it worked fine.
    Overall I thought it was a decent effort.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Worst case scenario, if this is popular enough you can expect Porridge to return with Biggins as Lukewarm taking center stage with Mr. MacKay's son as the new screw. I really wouldn't put it past the Beeb!

With the exception of Fletch and Godber all of the regular prisoners are still alive
  • Options
    TelenautTelenaut Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Surprisingly less PC than I expected.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Worst case scenario, if this is popular enough you can expect Porridge to return with Biggins as Lukewarm taking center stage with Mr. MacKay's son as the new screw. I really wouldn't put it past the Beeb!

Adam Barker should have a role in that!:D
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only real laugh for me was the till bit. Knew it was coming but it was still funny.

Snap.
    Only time I laughed.. and that was lifted 100% entirely from the original.

I can't believe some people are saying this was better than the original.

I despair for humanity sometimes.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a waste of 30 mins - loved the original but that was dire,no substance to it at all
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    What a load of rubbish. Not a patch on the original.
  • Options
    petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Truly awful, they are trying to recreate a show without the person who made it funny first time around. l just like Only fools without Del Boy it just doesnt work.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it, people are also posting on another thread.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time i laughed was at one of the chuckle brothers. And I kept thinking they wouldn't be allowed all that tat outside the shop because of lack of pavement access.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only time i laughed was at one of the chuckle brothers. And I kept thinking they wouldn't be allowed all that tat outside the shop because of lack of pavement access.

I missed them that's how fast each scene was going.
  • Options
    Soulrebel1980Soulrebel1980 Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Very few laughs here I'm afraid, the till and the cute dog were the highlights.
  • Options
    applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I enjoyed that, it passed too quickly :(

I thoroughly enjoyed that too :)
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed that, had the same feel as the original and David Jason works just fine as the new lead in the show.

Not a 'laugh out loud' pilot and Granville will never be Arkwright but a nice sitcom none-the-less and I hope there's a series.
  • Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the original, and so watched this with some trepidation. It was ok, but not something I'd like to see back as a series. To me Granville will always be the young lad in love with the milk woman and any other girl who crossed his path, Gladys will always be the attractive nurse who understood Arkwright only too well, and Arkwright ... well, no one, not even an older Granville will ever take his place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I love the original, and so watched this with some trepidation. It was ok, but not something I'd like to see back as a series. To me Granville will always be the young lad in love with the milk woman and any other girl who crossed his path, Gladys will always be the attractive nurse who understood Arkwright only too well, and Arkwright ... well, no one, not even an older Granville will ever take his place.

This, well said.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ter terter ter ter terrific
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said earlier I think it had the seed of a full series in there, it seemed like a show to introduce a load of characters for the future.

I think it needs time to find its feet to know whether it's going to be any good long term or not.

Actually thought Leroy wasn't a bad character at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Granville has lost his common sounding accent and went posher his voice is totally different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Personally didn't expect much and didn't get much!

I know it couldn't and probably shouldn't be compared to the original but when 90% of the story and jokes have been lifted from the original episodes it's just asking for a comparison.

I just felt the whole Granville trying to be Arkwright was too forced and it fell a bit flat.

I wouldn't completely write off a new series if they did go ahead with one, but if Roy Clarke wrote it he would do well not to rehash the old jokes and they need to stop trying to make Granville completely like Arkwright.

5.5/10

(Posted this in the other thread)