Options

Episodes – BBC2 – Mondays 10pm

Comments

• Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't understand why more people aren't watching this brilliant show! Just gets better and better, superb scripts and acting. Tucked away on BBC2 while sh!t like Miranda gets millions of viewers on primetime BBC1, and massive publicity.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We enjoyed the first two series, but this new one seems a bit directionless. Perhaps it'll warm up.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great series and getting better with each passing one.

Matt Le Blanc must be a decent guy as he allows himself to be parodied mercilessly, considering he is effectively playing himself.
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great series and getting better with each passing one.

Matt Le Blanc must be a decent guy as he allows himself to be parodied mercilessly, considering he is effectively playing himself.

hes brilliant very underratedi in friends
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    We enjoyed the first two series, but this new one seems a bit directionless. Perhaps it'll warm up.

It is a bit 'same old - same old' and not as funny for that reason. The chemistry appears to be lacking between Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig, not wanting to be unkind because I love them both, but the age difference seems more obvious now.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chemistry that really works is the Matt le Blanc / Stephen Mangan / Tamsin Greig triangle. They make great foils for his careless-but-charismatic act. The whole thing is so cleverly just a hair away from reality, it's kind of genius.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a bit 'same old - same old' and not as funny for that reason. The chemistry appears to be lacking between Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig, not wanting to be unkind because I love them both, but the age difference seems more obvious now.

What a strange comment. She is only 6 years older in real life but doesn't look it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    Can't understand why more people aren't watching this brilliant show! Just gets better and better, superb scripts and acting. Tucked away on BBC2 while sh!t like Miranda gets millions of viewers on primetime BBC1, and massive publicity.
    It is more of a BBC2 show though and probably wouldn't be on BBC1 between 9 and 10 so that would mean it being on at 10:35 or later.

10pm on BBC2 is a good slot, although Wednesday doesn't scream comedy night.
    They could have followed The Trip which recently finished with this series on Friday night.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only just caught up with ep 2. Poor Carol. Such a sweetie. And totally loving Castor Sotto. MAD as a truckload of frogs.

I wonder if there's a move away from Beverley and Sean as the main focus? At the moment they're the two most irritating characters, to me, although I'm fond of both actors.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Only just caught up with ep 2. Poor Carol. Such a sweetie. And totally loving Castor Sotto. MAD as a truckload of frogs.

I wonder if there's a move away from Beverley and Sean as the main focus? At the moment they're the two most irritating characters, to me, although I'm fond of both actors.

Interesting point. I agree and I think you've put your thumb on the main downside of the show - I don't really care about their tedious relationship.

There are bigger and funnier stories to tell with Matt LeBlanc and his adventures, and with all the in-fighting and machinations at the studio.

Sean and Beverly are now just peripheral characters.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »

I'm not watching anymore because I wasn't blown away by series 1 (I think it was that that I saw rather than series 2) - just didn't grab me as that amusing. I don't watch crappy BBC1 comedies like Miranda either though, just to be clear.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not watching anymore because I wasn't blown away by series 1 (I think it was that that I saw rather than series 2) - just didn't grab me as that amusing. I don't watch crappy BBC1 comedies like Miranda either though, just to be clear.

So you're not all bad, then. :D
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I loved series 1 and 2 but I'm not finding this series as enjoyable. There are some funny moments but it feels drawn out, and I really dislike the new studio boss. I realise his change between being a dictator and then having him hearing the furniture talk to him is meant to be funny but I don't find it so at all and he just irritates the hell out of me. Bring back Merc!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Merc is back next week pitching ideas.

I thought the opening scene and the ending scenes were good last night. The rest.... meh
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    I loved series 1 and 2 but I'm not finding this series as enjoyable. There are some funny moments but it feels drawn out, and I really dislike the new studio boss. I realise his change between being a dictator and then having him hearing the furniture talk to him is meant to be funny but I don't find it so at all and he just irritates the hell out of me. Bring back Merc!:D

i agree i think it has lost something
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Still watched this last night but I found it almost as uncomfortable as the pitching by Merc! There were a couple of funny moments but nothing as good as series 1 or 2. Shame really as I was looking forward to this when it came back on. I really think they should give the studio boss something to do other than being an eejit ... well that and the other thing ...:blush::D
  • Options
    clandestinyclandestiny Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Textbook example of a show that has run out of ideas and should have called it a day after the second series (or season as we now call them).
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    I'm still enjoying this season. Although I agree about the new boss being a crap character, I really don't like him.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting point. I agree and I think you've put your thumb on the main downside of the show - I don't really care about their tedious relationship.

There are bigger and funnier stories to tell with Matt LeBlanc and his adventures, and with all the in-fighting and machinations at the studio.

Sean and Beverly are now just peripheral characters.

I totally agree. Individually they are two of my favourite actors and I am so pleased to see that Tamsin will be back in another series of Friday Night Dinner, which fits much better into her repertoire IMHO. She and Mangan appear to have very little chemistry between them and almost every other person in the cast is funnier and more interesting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Greig's character this series has been terrible.
    Mangan's has been boring.
    The boss' assistant - can't remember her name - has been annoying.
    Le Blanc has been the only decent character.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was trying to work out who the psychiatrist was, and eventually realised it was Kripke from The Big Bang Theory.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe there are another five episodes of this to go!
  • Options
    icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    I love this thoughtful funny show and really look forward to it each week.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought series one (and maybe two) were filmed at Ealing Studios . Stephen Mangan said on POG show that filming took place in Wimbledon. Maybe he was being ironic. Nothing looks like West London to me.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Greig's character this series has been terrible.
    Mangan's has been boring.
    The boss' assistant - can't remember her name - has been annoying.
    Le Blanc has been the only decent character.

I agree, it's been a series too many, they should have quit while they were ahead.
    I like all the actors individually and there is still the odd gem to be found in the dialogue..mostly from Matt. But they seem to be really struggling to find any kind of storyline, it's become very dull.