Options

WC2014, Group D: England vs Italy @ Manaus [11pm, BBC 1/HD]

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blimey, Balotelli was childishly pathetic there.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Indeed, yet again he fails to turn up at the World Cup

He's been to three world cups and has failed to score in two of them (possibly 3 by the end of this one) - why people think he will be our saviour I do not know!
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah a masterclass from Pirlo, the Italians just don't know how to lose - feel sorry for England though... Lose to Uruguay and England are on the plane home which is after that performance very harsh.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    Who is clueless,,Sorry but Rooney for England in major competitions has been woeful, he might have crossed the ball for a goal,, but we lost the game, he did nothing else in the game and was poor in getting back. Sorry of you are a Rooney fan and perhaps your bias is blinding you

Yeah yeah, same old biased comment about Rooney, check out his goals per game before you spout such rubbish again.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Please. You take glee from this kind of thing.

Not true at all, I don't take any pleasure from england losing.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Rooney (shouldn't be on the left again), Henderson, Johnson, Baines all underperformed.

Sterling, Sturridge, Welbeck, Cahill all did well.

The rest... meh...
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    Some positives for England but the big worry for me is that the balance of the team just doesn't look right. No point having a go at individual players (e.g. Rooney) when they're being asked to play out of position.

agree 100% with that

the positives from playing sterling, sturridge and wellbeck meant that England were left short in other areas and/or had people playing out of position

sterling had a good game going forward but your #10 needs to have more of an influence in the middle of the park than he did imo , not criticising him either btw
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top goalscorer but he can't score in major competitions
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intelligent players, know when to use and conserve their energy.

England bit like the PL = all pace, very fast, brainless at times and no end product.

Indeed.....their skillfull passing game was always going to tire England out
  • Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Some positives for England but the big worry for me is that the balance of the team just doesn't look right. No point having a go at individual players (e.g. Rooney) when they're being asked to play out of position.

what was noticeable was that everything was going great up until after england scored .

Then Rooney and Gerrard etc seemed to be having discussions and words.........then it went all to pot.

Just saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, same old biased comment about Rooney, check out his goals per game before you spout such rubbish again.

Biased,,,i'm an England fan not a Man Utd fan,,,we are watching England, he was poor tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robborocks wrote: »
    Barkley had a few runs, 1 of which was stopped by his own team mate!!

So stick with the same shite is your plan??

Wilshire and Lallana?
    Before I comment further
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. It was typical shut up shop football from Italy.

Even their last WC win was low scoring throughout.

Right. You never know how good Italy are until they go behind, and they have to play. Until then, they take it easy.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    More like an average player in an over rated English club.

lol. you lost all creditability there.

Although he didn't do himself any favours tonight.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerard a missing man tonight - big players turn up at the top, seems to go missing when it really matters over the last few years.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol
    why are they showing the rooney miss AGAIN???
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whats his goal per game at the world cup? ( and i mean the main tournament not qualifiers? )
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's one of those games which we won't know the full story until we see some more games. Italy get given the run around by Costa Rica and Uruguay? Maybe it shows England up. Italy get to the final? Maybe England aren't so bad.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not good enough for a World Cup then?
    People have clamoured for them to start and yet when they came on, they did nothing. How is that going to progress them or the team?

I said earlier (not sure if it was on here) I have the feeling this campaign for England will be the same as Germany's in Euro 2004; they blooded quite a few youngsters, drew against Holland and Latvia before losing to the Czech Republic and went out but finished third in the following World Cup. Out of youngsters learning the trade and Rooney struggling (not Rooney at the peak of his game) I'd prefer to see the former.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats his goal per game at the world cup? ( and i mean the main tournament not qualifiers? )

I'll save you waiting for a reply - 0 goals scored in a World Cup TOURNAMENT!
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not having this lack of quality in the final third.

We had quality with Sturridge, Stirling and even wellbeck caused them problems.

The rest of the team were either anonymous or poor.

Rooney, out of position exposed bains' lack of defensive skills. We are really missing Ashley cole now as shaw just will not play well at this level yet.

Johnson, is he really the best we have at rb?

Hart had an error in him all game, and nearly cost us two goals with some basic problems.

Bains, Rooney and possibly gerrard need to be changed for the next game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I called a 1-1 or 2-1 to Italy. The frustrating thing is that if we'd kept the stamina we had in the first half I'd have been so wrong.

We came back so lack- lustre it was already lost.

Someone said we're missing Beckham and I hate to say it, but we are. I shall never repeat that and nobody should ever remind me that I said it ;)

There are gaps to fill and a defence to build that works. I'm not overly confident about Thursday but I'll see how that goes when the disappointment wears off.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Who is clueless,,Sorry but Rooney for England in major competitions has been woeful, he might have crossed the ball for a goal,, but we lost the game, he did nothing else in the game and was poor in getting back. Sorry of you are a Rooney fan and perhaps your bias is blinding you

He's scored 39 goals for England and set up the only goal tonight. Your obvious hatred of him for some unknown reason is your own problem but he was out of position and still had a major influence on the goal.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney's hair transplant was impressive tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Same as Messi's and we all know how terrible he is