Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Not sure why this double posted....sorry, internet being cranky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    But, Michael Dunwich does not, to me, fit the more eccentric type character of Bohemian or more down to earth character of a hippie.

He thought of himself as an artist, so he might be quite happy about the bohemian label.
    Besides, I don't see him as more idiotic than most Portwennians. A bit on the dark side, but he isn't really an idiot, is he?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    The one question no one has asked yet (I don't think) is if they will show the honeymoon if there is one. I am guessing no, if there was one it will be implied that they went somewhere for a couple days and came back.

As to the christening I think that might also be implied that it happened, too. I don't think they would just blow it off, though.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the villagers who were at the surgery with non emergent conditions or had appointments would cancel out on their own accord considering the circumstances or Morwenna would have already cancelled his appointments before they got back from the castle because he had already been gone so long. In this case I think that even the most nosey or selfish villager would have the decency to give them some space. Besides, Joe would blab it all to any and all who would listen as soon as he got back and they know they ain't gonna get anything out of the Doc except him turning into a walking Shakespearean insult generator.

I see that the "walking Shakespearean insult generator" is headquartered right here in my city.

The details of what happened at the Castle will probably be around the village with the speed of sound, if not of light. Even Mrs. Tishell couldn't brazen it out after that, even if she were still allowed to practice,.
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I agree. Going back to the first wedding, the non-wedding, Louisa said she all she wanted was a simple wedding and simple reception. What's the opinion on whether this go at it ended up being a bit less simple? Certainly her floor-length dress is more formal. And a reception at the Castle Hotel is much, much more formal and elaborate than quiche on the patio at Large Restaurant.

But is it simply their wanting to do some things somewhat differently than the first time, considering how it turned out? Obviously it makes sense that they learned their lesson about Bert & Al handling the reception. Nothing says romance like a ??-foot-high circus tent (can't remember the dimensions). And all along I figured Louisa would be in a different dress due to bad memories associated with the first, but this dress is very different (and much prettier, I think), much more formal. OR did Louisa decide she wanted to go past "simple" this time? Just wondering what everyone thinks. Still no coach and horses and doves, though, apparently. :D

Here's my second wedding-related question. How soon does this wedding take place after the events at the castle? We know from the casting call for James Henry that very little time will have gone by, but can we assume the wedding happened very quickly, like within a couple of weeks?

I can't understand what the rationale for the big formal wedding is, since it didn't seem to be Louisa's desire at the first wedding, and I can't imagine it being Martin's.

But I do think that preparations for this wedding, in the real world, would take far more than a couple of weeks -- to pin down the venue, order and send out invitations, find a dress and have it fitted, select a caterer, menu, etc., etc., etc. So it would be surprising if it's that soon, but anything appears to be possible in PortWenn.

How about DM driving through the village of Altarun in the taxi for the first scene of S1?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one question no one has asked yet (I don't think) is if they will show the honeymoon if there is one. I am guessing no, if there was one it will be implied that they went somewhere for a couple days and came back.

As to the christening I think that might also be implied that it happened, too. I don't think they would just blow it off, though.

If there is a honeymoon, I doubt we'll be invited along as viewers. Too bad. I'm all packed and ready. They could just spend a night at the hotel and then go right back to "life" in PW. The christening, right, I don't think we'll see it. It will be implied, or mentioned briefly by one of the characters.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't know what exactly to expect from S6. I agree that I think the wedding will happen right off the bat, possibly with a scene in the church before the opening credits and then after the credits we go to the reception.

Of course, I also think we need to see some changes in Louisa. She needs to chill a bit, accept Martin for who he is and how he is, and learn to communicate better rather than stalking off down that hill every time she gets frustrated. I wonder if there will be a storyline in which we see something like that.

BodminDM, you described this as a fear, and I have to say I hope this isn't how it plays out. I just can't see it. It's too hard for me to visualize. But then again anything is possible. Who could have predicted the weirdness of S5?

Didn't Martin Clunes say something like they had learned (already) to be more tolerant of one another? Maybe I misremember. it's hard to see how that happened in S5, but that may be how he interprets things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...anything out of the Doc except him turning into a walking Shakespearean insult generator.

Thank you for that link! Great fun and could come in handy. Except for the "thou's" I can just hear our Doc uttering these.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    The details of what happened at the Castle will probably be around the village with the speed of sound, if not of light. Even Mrs. Tishell couldn't brazen it out after that, even if she were still allowed to practice,.

That's true! It wouldn't surprise me if half the village doesn't already know all about it before Martin and Louisa even arrive back in town. I think you're right too about Mrs. T. Everyone would know. Even after her treatment, I don't see how she could go back. I refused to admit that previously because, I guess, of my own wishful thinking that somehow, maybe, she would be back. I'm already grieving the loss of this hilarious character.
    But I do think that preparations for this wedding, in the real world, would take far more than a couple of weeks -- to pin down the venue, order and send out invitations, find a dress and have it fitted, select a caterer, menu, etc., etc., etc. So it would be surprising if it's that soon, but anything appears to be possible in PortWenn.

You're absolutely right about all of that, NewPark, but, as you said, anything is possible in Portwenn, so I don't necessarily think this will factor into it.
    How about DM driving through the village of Altarun in the taxi for the first scene of S1?

That may be exactly what we first see! In a previous post, I said maybe a part of the wedding itself could be the first thing we see, before the credits, but I forgot that we've got that taxi scene to go first.

About the reason for DM going to the church by taxi, I've come up with a possible explanation. Now that we know Louisa will be in a long, formal gown, not exactly the kind of thing one goes traipsing around in or would want to wear in the backseat of Tommy's Taxi, it could be that someone (maybe Al?) will drive Louisa to the church in Martin's nice, big, clean, fancy car. That leaves Martin going by taxi.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Another question brought up a couple days ago was about his furniture. At the end of series 5 he was still going to London which is why we didn't see his furniture come back. I am going to guess the reason why the Dibbs furniture stayed there so long is that Dr. Dibbs had surgery and her hubby was staying somewhere (with relatives or something like that) while she was hospitalized and hadn't had time to deal with finding a new place and moving their stuff. Plus they were not sure where they would end up-I would imagine that she had been fired from her position as PW's GP by the PCT.

If he does intend to stay in PW he has to get out of his contract with Imperial, be rehired as the village GP, break his lease on the flat in London (or sublet it) and call the movers to have his furniture packed up and sent back. His contract with Imperial might be very difficult from a legal standpoint to break (depending on the wording of it) and it will cost a chunk of change if he breaks the lease on the flat.

Yes, we all know what he said at the castle to Louisa but do not forget what he said to Mrs. T about hating PW and its inhabitants a couple minutes before that. In that speech to Mrs. T (but aimed at Louisa) he was speaking from his heart. I am going to guess that, in Martin's mind, staying in PW is not an option despite what he said to Louisa at the very end of the episode-he truly loathes the place and its people and he desires to be a surgeon again above all else. These issues may lay dormant for awhile due to all that has occured but they certainly won't go away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If so, that hints (I think) that he'll continue to try to call all the shots, like he did in S5 (where Louisa can work on her timetable, what they have for dinner, etc.).

I want to defend the Doc in S5. I think he did realize that he had to consider Louisa's wishes. At least he was cautious that she expected that. However, he would have needed some guidance as he had never the practise in considering the needs of others.
    When Louisa asks what he thinks about the colour for the living room, he asks "What do you want me to think of it."
    He might sense that the question is important to her and that she expects a certain answer. However, he doesn't have a clue what is expected of him.
    If Louisa had just informed him shortly before that she will move to London with him, at a time where he usually would have been in London already if JH's arrival hadn't stopped him, it's understandable that he had already ordered the redecoration.
    As I don't like wasting my time thinking about colour, I can completely understand that he would thought it naturally to have the walls painted white. Actually, that's what I always do when I am in charge and I am equally puzzled if any family member suggests a "colour". Too many things to be considered (does it go with the furniture, pictures etc).
    He comes across as being bossy, but if he tries to talk things through (the school brochure for example), Louisa isn't very helpful either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone. I've been away a while.
    I have seen a few pictures on the Facebook group and I am so excited. I have put some thoughts into spoilers just in case.
    I see they get married as someone pointed out Louisa is wearing a wedding ring in one of the pictures. It looks silver-like, so that might be to match MC's real wedding ring which he might wear for the series. Also I see the Doc is wearing a flower on his suit. I don't know why but I find that really lovely, I doubt Louisa put it on him, she might have told him to do it - but at least he looks different (in a small way) from Working! Doc Martin.
    I also saw from one of the comments of other filming pictures that they saw them filming their first dance. I can't imagine seeing the Doc dancing- it must have been Louisa's doing. Or perhaps he lied when he said "I can't dance". What are you thoughts on these?

I am so excited. I wanted to go see filming in May, but that looks a little difficult now. I will have to just sit back and watch the spoilers pop up. I'm glad because it is keeping my mind busy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... call the movers to have his furniture packed up and sent back. His contract with Imperial might be very difficult from a legal standpoint to break (depending on the wording of it) and it will cost a chunk of change if he breaks the lease on the flat.

In real life this would be a problem. However, I don't see the prop department getting old and new furniture for the surgery, just to make clear that Dr. D's interior has been removed. I think they use the Doc's from the start.
    Yes, we all know what he said at the castle to Louisa but do not forget what he said to Mrs. T about hating PW and its inhabitants a couple minutes before that. In that speech to Mrs. T (but aimed at Louisa) he was speaking from his heart. I am going to guess that, in Martin's mind, staying in PW is not an option despite what he said to Louisa at the very end of the episode-he truly loathes the place and its people and he desires to be a surgeon again above all else. These issues may lay dormant for awhile due to all that has occured but they certainly won't go away.

I think it was important to keep DM in character in the very gushy speak at the castle. However, one of the main characters of the show is Portwenn. I can't see them changing that. Also, the Doc sticks to his word, and he promised to stay in Portwenn for her. So I think he does.
    Re the London flat, I'd say if he can present a follow-up to rent it, he'll be fine and with the housing situation in London, that shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Yep - arrived in Cornwall this afternoon and staying in Tintagel and having a cream tea as we speak. It has been pouring rain most of the day, so even if there was outdoor filming planned, I doubt it went on. The sun is supposed to come out on Monday. Fingers crossed!!

Hooray! Glad you got there safely and to hear from you so soon. :D:D:D
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am guessing that the kidnapping scene at the Pentar Castle took place on a weekend. Before that, they went to the Castle Hotel where a wedding reception was in progress. A fancy one like that usually takes place on a Saturday or Sunday. I am most apprehensive that The Wedding is scheduled to take place at the start of S6 which leaves the rest of the episodes for them to really have rows, misunderstandings, the whole nine yards. My guess is that when DM says his wedding vows, JH will have a crying fit and act up! Also, I am wondering if BP will want this series to be the last--my guess is that you have to look deeply in S6E8 to see if there are any open ends for them to continue onward to S7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I am guessing that the kidnapping scene at the Pentar Castle took place on a weekend.

But DM did have surgery and the children were at school. No, I'm more with the previously given opinion that it was mid-week, as Louisa said she had to take the rest of the week off. Good point.
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I think we need to find out how the babies that were spotted during filming were dressed. If in a traditional long white christening gown, then we have our answer as to whether the ceremonies were combined. I think it would be a little strange to have a full white traditional wedding plus a baby christening, but who knows. I was one who always thought the wedding and christening would be combined but I also mistakenly thought it would be a small, rather informal ceremony.

I think Bert was "father of the bride." I think you have to have two witnesses for a wedding, but anybody could do that I think, not necessarily a member of the wedding party.

Who would be Louisa's attendant, I wonder?

Considering the number of times Bert has interfered with a DM - LG about to be moment, I'd be surprised if DM let him the church.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't understand what the rationale for the big formal wedding is, since it didn't seem to be Louisa's desire at the first wedding, and I can't imagine it being Martin's.

Rationale: for the fans

The real world? What are you thinking NewPark? This is Portwenn it can be done in a day!

Agree with the last but I think that's related to him almost missing the wedding again so it may be a little later on, maybe, maybe not...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Agree with the last but I think that's related to him almost missing the wedding again so it may be a little later on, maybe, maybe not...:D

Exactly my thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he does intend to stay in PW he has to get out of his contract with Imperial, be rehired as the village GP, break his lease on the flat in London (or sublet it) and call the movers to have his furniture packed up and sent back. His contract with Imperial might be very difficult from a legal standpoint to break (depending on the wording of it) and it will cost a chunk of change if he breaks the lease on the flat.

I think he owns the London flat.

I don't think he does desire to be a surgeon above all else. His subconscious told him there was more to life than surgery - hence the Haemophobia - and he's been working his way through this. S5 desire to get back to London was to get away from Portwenn & LG at first then obligation to fulfil the contract he'd organised himself into. Whenever someone criticises Portwenn he always defends it despite not thinking highly of the villagers.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Louisa has grown up in the safe surrounding of a small village. As far as I understood, the village took her under their wings because of the horrid parents. So she would have had the confidence that there would be someone around to lend a hand.[/QUOT]

That is a really good point. I had considered her unprepared, but I think you are totally right about that.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I am guessing that the kidnapping scene at the Pentar Castle took place on a weekend. Before that, they went to the Castle Hotel where a wedding reception was in progress. A fancy one like that usually takes place on a Saturday or Sunday. I am most apprehensive that The Wedding is scheduled to take place at the start of S6 which leaves the rest of the episodes for them to really have rows, misunderstandings, the whole nine yards. My guess is that when DM says his wedding vows, JH will have a crying fit and act up! Also, I am wondering if BP will want this series to be the last--my guess is that you have to look deeply in S6E8 to see if there are any open ends for them to continue onward to S7.

I think the kidnapping was during the week because DM had to go to the school to get Louisa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    S5 desire to get back to London was to get away from Portwenn & LG at first then obligation to fulfil the contract he'd organised himself into. Whenever someone criticises Portwenn he always defends it despite not thinking highly of the villagers.

I think it is very telling that his desire to go back to London was first shown in S4E1, when Louisa was away from Portwenn. He can survive Portwenn for Louisa, but he cannot survive Portwenn minus Lousia.
    When he set the wheels rolling, he cannot/wants not stop them. Louisa also doesn't encourage him in S4.
    Rather at the beginning of S5 she offers to come with him, so again no need to change his plans.
    Only when Aunt Ruth tells him what a culture shock London was, he starts thinking, I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those people not facebook savvy:

A lot of the photos on Facebook "doc Martin (martin clunes) fan club" are old. Some very very old (2007 etc). Some people are also commenting on really old posts which brings them up to the top. You have to check the date at the top. Just thought I would mention it as I was confused for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wendy on Facebook doc martin (martin clunes) fan club just posted a distant photo of MC. She says they are filming 2 versions of the wedding? Could be that she doesn't realise that they need to do several takes of each scene.

Looks like they cleaned just enough of the outside of the church for their filming to make us think it is white!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    Considering the number of times Bert has interfered with a DM - LG about to be moment, I'd be surprised if DM let him the church.

:D

I've always pictured Bert out among the congregation with a clipboard full of bets on will they or won't they go through with it.

But the facebook photo from a couple of days ago shows Bert with a white rose on his lapel, just like Martin's, which means he's definitely in the wedding party.
This discussion has been closed.