Options

Hostages New US Thriller Starting Sat 11th Jan on Channel 4 (UK Pace)

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Tense US Drama series about a surgeon who is called upon to operate on the President and then kill him when her family is held hostage by an FBI agent at the centre of a conspiracy. Starring Toni Colette and Dylan McDermott.

Comments

• Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **** all tense about this show!

it was a watchable stinker but I'm not certain if I'm happy I wasted over 11 hours of my time on this drivel!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    **** all tense about this show!

it was a watchable stinker but I'm not certain if I'm happy I wasted over 11 hours of my time on this drivel!

:D Tell us how you really felt about this show. Don't hold back. lol
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it get a proper ending? As its US ratings seem to make it very unlikely there will be a series 2. So if it ends up in the air it makes a big difference to whether I will bother watching.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it get a proper ending? As its US ratings seem to make it very unlikely there will be a series 2. So if it ends up in the air it makes a big difference to whether I will bother watching.

From what I read, HOSTAGES was always meant to have a proper ending at the end of the 1st season. No word on a renewal yet (not likely but you never know).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance of a renewal unless it's a completely different story and cast as it's all done in one season.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance of a renewal unless it's a completely different story and cast as it's all done in one season.

Well one idea was to spinoff one of the storylines from the 1st season. Another idea was to create an entirely new plot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd watch a spin off if Sandrine returned but otherwise I'm out!
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    the original Israeli series the US remake is based on is apparently going to be shown after The Bridge series 2 has finished on BBC4 so I think I'll wait to watch that

generally US remakes are not as good as the originals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hostages is like Prison Break at it's worst.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished the finale.

It's not the greatest TV ever but it just about managed to keep the story running, and my interest, for the whole 15 episodes - even if the writing and acting were "daytime soap" standard at times.

Maybe people should series link it then watch it later as it might be show better watched as binge rather than one episode per week. The plot might make more sense that way.

I really don't see much potential for a second season or a spin-off.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tense US Drama series about a surgeon who is called upon to operate on the President and then kill him when her family is held hostage by an FBI agent at the centre of a conspiracy. Starring Toni Colette and Dylan McDermott.

You need to start a new thread:

Hostages New US Thriller Starting Sat 11th Jan on Channel 4 (UK Pace NO spoilers or whingers who've seen it already!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit clichéd so far. How did that guy get so many hidden cameras into the house so quickly. Even in the daughters room when she was in her room the whole time. He must be special ops. lol
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard so many bad things about this.

Did Toni Collette kick a baby or something to be coerced into doing this? She usually has good taste.

I'm only really watching it because I still need to catch up on The Bridge, and clearly the people at Channel 4 don't have much faith in it considering the timeslot. They probably bought the rights before it aired and was being hailed as the new 'Homeland'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't these people who are being held hostage just speak to the FBI or the President and tell them their family is being held hostage instead of going along with these ludicrous plans. It would make like so much simpler.
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I watched this from U.S pace and had high hopes when I read the premise plus I like Dylan McDermott, but half way through it got a bit daft, there was so many twists and turns it felt like skateboarding down mount Everest without the skateboard. Pity really as it could have turned out a lot better. The show reminds me of Last Resort.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't these people who are being held hostage just speak to the FBI or the President and tell them their family is being held hostage instead of going along with these ludicrous plans. It would make like so much simpler.

Just what I was thinking. First episode didn't really grab me but there's bugger all else on on a Saturday night so I'll probably give it another go.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite interesting, from the first episode, i'm going to say the detective's wife being in the hospital has got to be of the reason's he's doing this, got to be more to what they're doing then meets the eye
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    That was seriously bad. How could anyone compare it to the first series of Homeland? I couldn't care less about any of the characters. Whereas at the end of the first episode of Homeland I had to re-watch the entire episode (I had recorded it) and couldn't wait for the following week. Brody and his story (and the brilliant acting) just drew me in from the first moment.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The husband's not worth saving, for starters. :)
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good! Can't wait for next week.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to say that I stuck with this through to the finale. Truly one of the worst TV shows I have ever watched. Quite why I stuck with it is beyond me but I do sometimes find it hard to give up on a show once I have started watching it
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded it, but from what everyone seems to be saying I'll probably just delete it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's watchable but is pretty crap as there are too many stupid plot twists and the body count is also ludicrous if you think about it at the end of the series.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched bits of each episode and usually the first few minutes of 'last on hostages' just to see what happened.

I thought it was dire. Dylan had a stony face throughout like he was somewhere with a gun pointed at him!

The script was really bad and the premise was completely daft. I find it hard to believe Jerry Bruckheimer had anything to do with this as he usually does action movies very well.