BBC 1 From there to here

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Tonight 21:00 From there to here
Just spotted it in the schedules, anyone got a clue what it's about, what the reviews have said?
I can't seem to watch any series at the moment, get 2 parts in download of the Iplayer and it sits on the hard drive, anyway...

Summer, 1996. The day England take on Scotland in the European Championships. In the heart of Manchester, Daniel Cotton is trying to heal a severe rift between his dad Samuel and brother Robbo. But when a huge bomb explodes in the city centre, their peace negotiations are cut short, and their lives changed forever.

Comments

• Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Theres a bit of a review on that link you've posted: central character Philip Glenister's life (or rather his attitude to it) changes after being caught up in the Manchester IRA bombings. Has Steven Macintosh in it too.
    Thanks for the heads up - sounds worth giving a try.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a local tragedy, can't get interested in the fact that someone has made a TV drama out of it.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This actually happened? in Manchester in 1996? I'd have been 13 but I don't remember it at all :blush: I just about remember the Oklahoma bombing the year before and the Omagh bombing in 1998 but I don't remember this. I'm watching the show though
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that van they show was the one left outside with the bomb in it.
    The IRA phoned the BBC so they managed to clear the area and no-one was killed, just some injuries from glass etc.

Euro 96 was going on and a match was to be played at Old Trafford soon after.
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I went to that Mansun gig in Manchester advertised on the posters he walked by!
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look anything like 1996 Manchester! I was hoping it would be true to the fashions and the Manchester I remember from 1996 no one would wear thei shirt that open then
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,771
    Forum Member
    I live about four miles away from the city centre and we heard the bomb go off at our house. We thought it was somebody throwing bricks into a skip at the time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep the Arndale Market wasn't there. When they rebuilt the Arndale, they got rid of the street which lead down to the old bus station.
    Forum Member
    I don't know where it's supposed to be but that looked nothing like Marks and Spencers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the brother who's trying to be Liam Gallagher is getting on my nerves already
    Forum Member
    The scary thing is, my family waked across that tunnel going from Marks to the Arndale a few days before the bomb went off.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was working in Safeway that morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was the actual scene with green screening making it look like the actors were there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    No DD 5.1, bit of a shame, that explosion would have sounded sweet. New Order and Stone Roses backing soundtrack more 93-94, but hey ho!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooo it's Saskia Reeves
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he married as he told the cleaner he wasn't?
    Forum Member
    Not for me this, very wooden and clichéd.
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    Is he married as he told the cleaner he wasn't?

He certainly is, the lying hound!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm half expecting a few "Mad for it" cliches at the moment. Nice to see Glenister and Liz White back together on screen though
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting for this to grab me but so far, nothing.

I'll carry on watching though.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting for this to grab me but so far, nothing.

I'll carry on watching though.

I reckon it's a grower ;-)
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a local tragedy, can't get interested in the fact that someone has made a TV drama out of it.

because no one ever made a a film about September 11, the titanic disaster, the countless world war 2 films or any other major disaster?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hair is wrong! Not enough mousse ! Clothes are wrong! Not enough addidas and bomber jackets. No curtain haircuts and under cuts...and hoummous wasn't invented yet!
    Forum Member
    I'm warming to it. Is that the guy from the BT ad?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hair is wrong! Not enough mousse ! Clothes are wrong! Not enough addidas and bomber jackets. No curtain haircuts and under cuts...and hoummous wasn't invented yet!

Egypt in the 13th century.