Options

Why does it cost more to watch a 3D film

Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
Forum Member
✭✭
Might be a stupid question but at my local cinema it costs a fair bit more for a 3D film and you have to pay for the glasses on top of that (unless you already have them).

Now I realise there's the 'cost' of the 3D projection equipment - purchase and upkeep, however as far as I know the 3D projection equipment is also used to project the 2D films and after a few years the 'extra' cost of 3D screenings it should have paid for itself in most cinemas. So effectively cinemas are charging the extra because they can rather than because there being any intrinsic extra cost associated with showing a 3D film.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The only 3D film i've seen (infact the only time i'm been to the cinema in about 4 years) was to see Transformers and it was reasonably priced (as cinema prices go).
    It was on a Wednesday so I got a ticket from my mate with the wed discount and the glasses were free.

It was about £6
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the cinemas can make more money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    So the cinemas can make more money.

Actually, no, the extra pound is for the 3D glasses. They cost money to make and for the cinema to buy.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Obviously as you said it costs more to make a 3D film, and for the cinemas to show them ...

But I think they want o make 3D films a luxury, I only did marketing for a small while but I think it about product placement. They price the 3D films above the 2D ones so that the public think its a better service that they are getting, or more an extra service ...

Thats my thinking, I hope it makes a small bit of sense !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Actually, no, the extra pound is for the 3D glasses. They cost money to make and for the cinema to buy.

I think what the OP is saying is that even if you bring your own glasses you still pay extra. It certainly works that way here in Dublin. I have an Unlimited card at my local Cineword where I pay €20 a month and get to see any film any time for free. I still get charged an extra €1.50, even if I bring my own glasses though :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In our local cinema (cineworld) the price is abou £7.50 for a normal 2D film and £9.50 for a 3D film, with an extra 80p added on to the £9.50 if you don't bring your own glasses and need to buy some! It is a bit of a rip off to be honest. I do think 3D is a gimmick. If you look at the old reg/green 3D, they churned hundreds of films out when that technology was first released. Whilst I cannot deny that the real 3D we have now looks amazing, I am not sure whether it will fizzle out like the old red/green 3D did once the gimmick wears off?
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because most customers are daft enough to pay extra to see 3D films!

It didn't cost more to see 3D films 30 years ago, why now especially when these are no more effective than those made decades back?
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Obviously as you said it costs more to make a 3D film, and for the cinemas to show them ...

That's my point, though. The cost of seeing a film at the cinema has never been proportionate to the cost of the film... it didn't cost you more to see a blockbuster £200m+ budget film than a £10m arthouse film before the current 3D fad. And once the cost of the projector is covered it costs no more to show a 3D film than a 2D film.

I agree that it purely seems the be that 3D is seen as a premium product and therefore people are prepared to pay for it. I will start to worry when films are only shown in 3D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    cost me £7.50 to watch toy story 3 with glasses a pound included to £6.50 with out that was last september
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    it could be that the film was shot in 2d then converted into 3d like harry potter which cost like 50-100 grand
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Faster bulb wear + equipment costs....