1964 General Election on BBC Parliament - Wednesday 12th November

13»

Comments

• sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Richard Dimbleby concludes "We hope we've been of some use to you, and goodbye".

It was goodbye too. Another election was only 17 months away but Dimbleby would be dead by then.

They should dip into the political archives more often, and not just with General Election's of the past.

A great watch this evening, and surprisingly enjoyable. :)

It was indeed interesting but I say more so because how close it was as was 1974 & 2010.
    But on the show itself, not only did you have a first class crew but the reporters like Micheal Barrett, Alan Whicker & Raymond Baxter had strong voices.
    They even talked about the voting system with the Liberals getting a handfull of seats but 3 million voted for them.

But I loved the phone link up with Harold Wilson on a train. I beleave ITN manged to film Wilson on the train.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Micheal Barrett is another person that is still around (86), still very quick witted - and still working at least part time.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    It was indeed interesting but I say more so because how close it was as was 1974 & 2010.
    But on the show itself, not only did you have a first class crew but the reporters like Micheal Barrett, Alan Whicker & Raymond Baxter had strong voices.
    They even talked about the voting system with the Liberals getting a handfull of seats but 3 million voted for them.

But I loved the phone link up with Harold Wilson on a train. I beleave ITN manged to film Wilson on the train.

That bit was interesting indeed.

Liberals got 9 seats with 3,099,283 votes.

Conservatives got 304 seats with 12,002,642 votes.

Labour won with 317 seats and 12,205,808 votes.

Therefore;

Each Liberal MP was worth 344,365 votes.

Each Conservative MP was worth 39,482 votes.

Each Labour MP was worth 38,504 votes.