Options

CORRIE AT A RATINGS LOW!! (Are we surprised?)

soapreturneesoapreturnee Posts: 421
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11293788/Coronation-Street-has-fewer-viewers-than-Countryfile.html

I'm not really surprised that corrie seems to be in a ratings crisis...the stories are just not there, there is nothing to grip you and it just seems boring at the moment with some lazy writing......maybe the 'Bus Crash' will turn things around but I find just skipping through parts of episodes at the moment !! Let's hope it improves !! :):)

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and it deserves to be. Should give ITV the kick up the arse to sack Blackburn. The effect of poor quality will come to light during the festive period when it drops below 7m until January.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    It's had an abysmal year, so no wonder. It's just so unbelievably dull right now. The boring characters have been given prominence at the expense of the better ones.
    The obvious thing to do is to bring in a new producer. Look what DTC has done for Eastenders.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things stand out the blame lying at Tina's departure...wrong imo, yes she should never been killed off and the s/l and aftermath was abysmal but the ratings are not down because of it, it's down because of SB, lack of decent storylines or characters, it want to be the gentle/comedy soap but it's also got nothing gritty, dark or exciting to offer beside it.

Other soaps may go over the top at xmas but they do it for a reason, you need some excitement to lay forth the coming year, SB last xmas was dull and this one does not seem any better.

And the last thing the insinuation by TPTB that the show is as quoted by them

''Under producer Stuart Blackburn, Coronation Street is still the most watched soap in the country by some margin."

The show has shaved near 3 million viewers that is not good, it's rating are not that dissimilar to what EE and ED are getting and I think they could have a hard time getting them back.

I can only hope 2015 promises something good, Sarah Louise and Jenny Bradley returning might give the show a much needed boost.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The low figure was a one-off, it was out of its regular slot and if you don't keep track it would be easy to miss. It's to be expected, so that being the basis of the article is pathetic. However the general downturn in viewers and share year-on-year shouldn't be ignored, yet is sadly. The current Corrie team is out of touch with viewers and ITV simply don't care as long as the show wins its slot, which in its regular showing does so by a clear margin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    The low figure was a one-off, it was out of its regular slot and if you don't keep track it would be easy to miss. It's to be expected, so that being the basis of the article is pathetic. However the general downturn in viewers and share year-on-year shouldn't be ignored, yet is sadly. The current Corrie team is out of touch with viewers and ITV simply don't care as long as the show wins its slot, which in its regular showing does so by a clear margin.

I agree with most of that, but I think that ITV probably do care since the slide in ratings will affect their advertising revenue but they have heavily invested in Corrie over the years and don't have anything else that could bring in the same viewing figures for 2 and a half hours per week every week on ITV - plus a further 10 hours (I think) over on ITV2.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    The last really decent episode of Corrie was the night Hayley died, that was 11 months ago:(

It has been so, so, so poor overall this year. I continue to watch and always will as a lifelong fan but it breaks my heart to see what The hat has done to suck all the quality out of this show.

I think what really did it for me was back in the late Summer after watching Donna in Emmerdale die after jumping from a 8 storey car park taking along a villian that was handcuffed to her compared to the next episode of Corrie which had that dreadful Nazir creature and Kirk sitting in Roy's Rolls reading stories to a bunch of 4 year olds. At that point you could see how far Corrie has fallen.

Corrie is currently full of characters that you couldn't give tuppence about (the Nazirs, Andrea, Sean, Julie, Maddie, etc....). The Hat seems to think us Corrie fans want it turned into Shameless which we definitely DON'T
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Two things stand out the blame lying at Tina's departure...wrong imo, yes she should never been killed off and the s/l and aftermath was abysmal but the ratings are not down because of it, it's down because of SB, lack of decent storylines or characters, it want to be the gentle/comedy soap but it's also got nothing gritty, dark or exciting to offer beside it.

Other soaps may go over the top at xmas but they do it for a reason, you need some excitement to lay forth the coming year, SB last xmas was dull and this one does not seem any better.

''Under producer Stuart Blackburn, Coronation Street is still the most watched soap in the country by some margin."

The show has shaved near 3 million viewers that is not good, it's rating are not that dissimilar to what EE and ED are getting and I think they could have a hard time getting them back.

I can only hope 2015 promises something good, Sarah Louise and Jenny Bradley returning might give the show a much needed boost.

I completely agree. Being the 'highest rated' soap means nothing when it's only sometimes only 100,000 viewers ahead of EastEnders.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the "lowest ever figure" while circumstantial is relevant as it still has something to do with the show's current quality. In previous years it has held up better against Strictly. It was always going to be down in a Strictly clash but more than likely would have done better in the clash were it giving viewers an incentive to tune in.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sky box records every episode because I'm not quite ready to delete the series link yet after 30 years of watching. I read the synopsis and even that bores me to tears so I delete the recording. I've not watched since August and I don't even miss it. I'd think lots of people just watch out of habit now.
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I watch on and off. Generally I pick up the gist of what's happening from the omnibus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically someone is trying to make a story about an episode that was out of its regular slot and on the same time as Strictly.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    So basically someone is trying to make a story about an episode that was out of its regular slot and on the same time as Strictly.

But it's not just that really. Yes it wa taken out of it's normal slot and competing with strictly but there's more to this story that those two facts. There are huge reductions in the audience figures for CS and ITV are burying their heads in the sand when they say It's in good hands with SB,
    IMO, CS is slithering down into a morrass of unpleasant characters , all whining or yelling or thumping . All the personalitoes before the Hat have been morphed into kitchen sink people and we, the watchers, feel that there is noone loveable, noone we care avbout in the whole messy lot.
    I watch Emmerdale and I remember stuff and think about it the next day; whereas I try and fail to remember anything about CS these days.
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gorgeous Alya is the only reason I bother to watch these days.
    Yes! it really is that bad and I really am that shallow.:blush:
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are literally no storylines of any interest, and this has been the weakest run up to Xmas in living memory. The deluded EP needs firing, because if he thinks a pregnancy involving a 12 year old isn't going to create a media shitstorm, he really is on another planet.
  • Options
    Ashley79Ashley79 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I think there are numerous reasons for the drop in ratings, the fact that Stuart Blackburn gives away most of the details of the biggest storylines far advance of the airdate does not help. The plots have been disappointing and the climax to the major stories have been dissatisfying and far removed from the gripping drama promised. I don't think the departure of any particular actor is to blame but more the lack of ideas and gripping storylines being put forward by the production team. The writing has been pretty bad and giving storylines to poor actors like Anthony Cotton over the Christmas period is warped. There are so many things Corrie could be doing as there so many talented actors on the team that are underused or have very poor material to work with. In my view, sack Anthony Cotton, Sack most of the writers (Corrie desperately needs new blood and fresh ideas) and lastly, is it time for Stuart Blackburn to move on? I think it might be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »

Blimey, I had no idea the viewing figures had fallen that much.:o
    They will be lucky to survive this decade at this rate.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This doesn't surprise me as a new thread is created on it every week.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stellers wrote: »
    Blimey, I had no idea the viewing figures had fallen that much.:o
    They will be lucky to survive this decade at this rate.

I'm not a ratings expert by any means but just looking at them the ratings have been pretty inconsistent this year for Corrie and out of all the soaps they've seen the biggest fall in viewers,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Ashley79 wrote: »
    I think there are numerous reasons for the drop in ratings, the fact that Stuart Blackburn gives away most of the details of the biggest storylines far advance of the airdate does not help. The plots have been disappointing and the climax to the major stories have been dissatisfying and far removed from the gripping drama promised. I don't think the departure of any particular actor is to blame but more the lack of ideas and gripping storylines being put forward by the production team. The writing has been pretty bad and giving storylines to poor actors like Anthony Cotton over the Christmas period is warped. There are so many things Corrie could be doing as there so many talented actors on the team that are underused or have very poor material to work with. In my view, sack Anthony Cotton, Sack most of the writers (Corrie desperately needs new blood and fresh ideas) and lastly, is it time for Stuart Blackburn to move on? I think it might be.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Why give Sean screen time at all? It's a shame for anyone who has the misfortune of doing a scene with him. Coronation Street has lost it's spark and needs to get it back. This being said, i'm looking forward to seeing Claire King on the cobbles and the return of Sarah-Louise will be welcome. New writers please Stuart, some with imagination this time. ;-)
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11293788/Coronation-Street-has-fewer-viewers-than-Countryfile.html

I'm not really surprised that corrie seems to be in a ratings crisis...the stories are just not there, there is nothing to grip you and it just seems boring at the moment with some lazy writing......maybe the 'Bus Crash' will turn things around but I find just skipping through parts of episodes at the moment !! Let's hope it improves !! :):)

Just read this, I am not suprised, I have stopped watching and everyone I know has.

Its awful since Blackburn took over
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Ashley79 wrote: »

Your second sentence is the key to a lot of the problem in my opinion!! When SB first appeared & outlined his outlook for Corrie & the storylines he described I thought "yesss at last someone with some drive & imagination".... then the said storylines played out & it became clear that it was all in his head & he seems incapable of transferring good ideas onto the screen!! Therefore now I approach all he says expecting to be disappointed & in that way he hasn't let me down!! Shame because it's like I'm just going through the motions most of the time hoping for something better when he leaves at the moment!!
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time they actually write it about Corrie too not just EE all the time :D dip in and out of Corrie tbf, but I caught it on Friday was quite boring tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Your second sentence is the key to a lot of the problem in my opinion!! When SB first appeared & outlined his outlook for Corrie & the storylines he described I thought "yesss at last someone with some drive & imagination".... then the said storylines played out & it became clear that it was all in his head & he seems incapable of transferring good ideas onto the screen!! Therefore now I approach all he says expecting to be disappointed & in that way he hasn't let me down!! Shame because it's like I'm just going through the motions most of the time hoping for something better when he leaves at the moment!!

I think Kate Oates has done amazing things with Emmerdale, maybe she should have a go with Corrie now?
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the Asian family, and bring Becky back
    Simples
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Petro wrote: »
    I think Kate Oates has done amazing things with Emmerdale, maybe she should have a go with Corrie now?

But Emmerdale is also shipping large numbers of viewers:o
    Maybe we have to accept the soaps have had their day?