Options

Who will be the next biggest Girlband with Girls Aloud splitting up?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, congratulations on being different from the crowd, you must automatically be better than the rest of us. Round of applause anyone?

Hitler didn't follow the crowd either :cool:

In my opinion most Girl groups and boy groups are bland. I am worse than you as I can't see the merit in them.
    It can be good not to follow a crowd, but I don't do it for the sake of it. Or am I likely to goosestep down the street.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groups like stooshe and little mix could be but it takes time!

I do agree that LM will have to fight the X factor thing. They need to gain control of they're name,etc. Stooshe is make it or break it with the new single...

The Sats right now fit the uk market glove like GA did. However, GA never tried to come over here! So all this talk about who is a "worldwide act" is irrelevant. Imho
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's MKS all the way for me.

A sugababes 4.0 return would be very lovely too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stooshe have shown with Black Heart and now Slip that they have the material, but after Waterfalls flops I'm really not sure that they can recover... Nevertheless, I have to say Slip sounds like a real hit though.

I'm probably biased but I'd say The Saturdays could do it. They might have been labelled 'flops' before (and indeed, the On Your Radar era went tits up post All Fired Up) but they've had ten top ten singles in 4 years, that's pretty impressive. And now they've finally got a #1, it could go to show they're doing it. It does all depend on how What About us holds up though and how their next single does, of course.

As for MKS, much as I love them I can't see them being huge to be honest :(
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally can't stand The Saturdays. I think their songs are awful.If they were around ten or fifteen years ago they would have been dropped by now. it is only because there is such a dirth of girl groups around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Saturdays - will never be the next big girl band purely because they are unable to shift albums. Unless this gets sorted than they can never achieve such a title.

Stooshie
    - had the most potential but Waterfalls ruined that.

Little Mix - survived so far thanks to the X Factor with their first album, I'm doubtful they can repeat the same success.

MKS - It could go either way to be honest either big success or big flop.

Sugababes - They were bigger than Girls Aloud anyway up until the Cat Fights album.

Spice Girls - If they did reform (very unlikely) then it's obvious they could out sell every girl band on name alone.

My bet is that a new girl band within the next few years or so is likely to take that title though.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to say Little Mix.

This is because they are being marketed exceptionally well, I had a look online at what they are doing in the US , and every single appearance they are singing live with just a guy on acoustic guitar backing the vocals. The US doesnt have the 'realty singer' stigma we have to begin with, but they are very deliberately going down the route of pushing the writing the songs and actual singers despite being a manufactured band.

Its very clever, and from what I've heard they have the vocal talent to pull it off.

Publicity wise they are far ahead world wide even with the saturdays tv show, the teen mags push little mix as fashionistas to follow, as does their official twitter feed. You have to look far beyond the music in the modern pop world, the management team behind little mix have the social media thing nailed, they just ran a social media campaign that got some of their fans as far as a national TV show in Italy, none of the other up and comers can compete with that marketing at all, except perhaps Cowells other creation, the US version of Little Mix he just signed from last years US X Factor, cant remember the name.
  • Options
    johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays or HAIM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix I pray
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is because they are being marketed exceptionally well, I had a look online at what they are doing in the US , and every single appearance they are singing live with just a guy on acoustic guitar backing the vocals. The US doesnt have the 'realty singer' stigma we have to begin with, but they are very deliberately going down the route of pushing the writing the songs and actual singers despite being a manufactured band.

Its very clever, and from what I've heard they have the vocal talent to pull it off.

Publicity wise they are far ahead world wide even with the saturdays tv show, the teen mags push little mix as fashionistas to follow, as does their official twitter feed. You have to look far beyond the music in the modern pop world, the management team behind little mix have the social media thing nailed, they just ran a social media campaign that got some of their fans as far as a national TV show in Italy, none of the other up and comers can compete with that marketing at all, except perhaps Cowells other creation, the US version of Little Mix he just signed from last years US X Factor, cant remember the name.

Fifth Harmony. :)
  • Options
    Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B*Witched, if they can stay together long enough after the Big Reunion, and get some decent songwriters. Not that they're young enough to be called a girl group anymore. Doubt it will happen though.

Possibly Atomic Kitten if Katona decides she can take the pressure and they issue new material.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have to agree this is why i said Little Mix they are just better marketed then the Sats and i think you could put them with A rapper and it works and their fans love it, unlike sats fans.

Stooshie for me have something special too, which i think if they can work with the right people, then they could become big.
  • Options
    Say_My_NameSay_My_Name Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think Haim would be successful, don't think they are the right genre for UK charts though.
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But which british Girlband if we were to just go on that? although there aren't any major girlbands from other countries anymore,
    So Fifth Harmony as the US girband and for UK Little Mix. And they could probably get the slot as the support act for One Direction tours in America if they promote themselves more.

The Saturdays are #2 in the charts they probably could've held the #1 if Ant and Dec didn't perform their old song. #2 is still good depends how long they stay in the top 10 I guess.

Maybe they're onto the right track now tv really does make a difference sometimes with chart success.
    "The song – which features RnB star Sean Paul - sold 114,000 copies since being released last Monday and became the fastest selling single of 2013 so far."
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was...
    Spice Girls v All Saints
    Sugababes v Atomic Kitten
    Sugababes v Girls Aloud

GA have only been active for 4 months in the last 4 years so you can't really say replacing them now.

The Saturdays were the only girl group for 3 years.

Little Mix and Stooshe will be the premiere groups now. MKS are a girlgroup yes but I dont think they'll be put in that category as they'll be more credible.

The Saturdays and Sugababes will be like Westlife...still trogging along in the background whilst Stooshe and Little Mix take centre stage.