Options

Blackbery Playbook

popppopp Posts: 548
Forum Member
✭✭
thinking of getting 1 from currys. has anyone on here got 1. mainly thinking of using it as a mp3 player, internet radio, iplayer. as it has stereo speakers.how good is it using the android apps. also can i use Blackbery app world without an account. is it free to join like google market. whats the battery life using internet radio. regards popp

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have one. It plays video better than my ipad.

The screen is nicer than my ipad.

It was easy to set up. The only annoying thing was the update that took a while to download and install.

I like gmail on it. It is better and quicker than my ipad.

Music is lovely on it.

I haven't done much with applications apart from the piano one.

It forces you to make a blackberry account.
  • Options
    StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    It seems like cheap Christmas tablets are everywhere. And though the 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook seems to be good value for money I wouldn't consider buying one as it is quite outdated. People buy devices like this, use it for couple of days and that's all. In my mind it's just not worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i`m thinking with stereo speakers it would make a good internet radio, and mp3 player. i have a ipad. but for the price of the blackberry it would make a good replacement for a ipod.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    popp wrote: »
    i`m thinking with stereo speakers it would make a good internet radio, and mp3 player. i have a ipad. but for the price of the blackberry it would make a good replacement for a ipod.

It would be perfect for that
  • Options
    SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    thinking of getting 1 from currys. has anyone on here got 1. mainly thinking of using it as a mp3 player, internet radio, iplayer. as it has stereo speakers.how good is it using the android apps. also can i use Blackbery app world without an account. is it free to join like google market. whats the battery life using internet radio. regards popp

My reasoning for purchasing a Blackberry Playbook was to use it mainly as a MP3 player and to watch videos on it. For £129 for 64GB it was a no-brainer for me. I had already got a Galaxy Tab 2 which I also use; however when I bought the Playbook I was impressed with it so I use it for surfing as well as music. :)

I know people complain about the lack of apps but I've downloaded over 100 apps from the Blackberry store. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I use my playbook all the time for work and also for music and browsing and rarely use the laptop now. It's ideal when linked to a BB phone. Yes there's not as many native apps for playbook but it's easy to download and use many apps written originally for android. The quality of the build is great too. The only thing I miss is you cannot do skype on it at the minute but you can high quality video chat to other playbook users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when you sign up for blackberry app world ,is it like google where you can have an account but put no money into it. so i can use just the free apps. also what free maps is there for the playbook. regards popp
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    when you sign up for blackberry app world ,is it like google where you can have an account but put no money into it. so i can use just the free apps. also what free maps is there for the playbook. regards popp

Yes you don't need to add any sort of payment method and you can download free apps.

But also be aware you can simply sideload Android apps that have been converted to play on the Playbook, that includes things like Google Maps and Amazon Kindle.

To sideload you need a PC app I use this one

http://ddpb.dauden.vn/

And you need the apps converted to run on the Playbook, there are plenty here.

http://goodereader.com/apps/playbook/playbook-android-apps/

Sideloading is very easy to do. One other advantage the PB has is it has an HDMI out connector and it's great for plugging into your TV to watch iplayer stuff, also the PB runs flash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Like Rodney says, sideloading android apps onto PB is easy. I think the PB is by far the best value tablet out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the info. got the ipad. but like the idea of a playbook as a mp3 player internet radio, plus with the superior speakers that people talk about. is tunein app available.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you don't need to add any sort of payment method and you can download free apps.

But also be aware you can simply sideload Android apps that have been converted to play on the Playbook, that includes things like Google Maps and Amazon Kindle.

To sideload you need a PC app I use this one

http://ddpb.dauden.vn/

And you need the apps converted to run on the Playbook, there are plenty here.

http://goodereader.com/apps/playbook/playbook-android-apps/

Sideloading is very easy to do. One other advantage the PB has is it has an HDMI out connector and it's great for plugging into your TV to watch iplayer stuff, also the PB runs flash.

There's a better sideloading method now. came across this today. Just need a browser add on with google Chrome called playbook app manager which has a drag and drop interface. A step by step guide is here. It's even easier to side load Android apps now.

http://crackberry.com/sideloading-made-easy-playbook-app-manager-browser-plugin
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    thanks for the info. got the ipad. but like the idea of a playbook as a mp3 player internet radio, plus with the superior speakers that people talk about. is tunein app available.

There is a free Blackberry app called Nobex radio that does the same thing
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a free Blackberry app called Nobex radio that does the same thing

I think tunein can be sideloaded. I'm sure I remember seeing it on that converted android app store.