Options

The CNBC General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex CNBC presenter Beccy Meehan started presenting regional news bulletins on BBC One in the North West on Saturday.
  • Options
    am1969am1969 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Ex CNBC presenter Beccy Meehan started presenting regional news bulletins on BBC One in the North West on Saturday.

:cool:
  • Options
    viewer btvviewer btv Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    When will CNBC EUROPE have dedicated 24/7 service broadcast from London on a permanent basis ?
    That would make watching it more appealing and interesting than watching the U.S content most of the time .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Impressed by Julia Chatterley input on CNBC Europe's morning shows both as a reporter and presenter .I am amazed she did not get Rebecca Meehan's old job given her on screen presence and talent .She knows her working brief pretty well and communicates well on tv.Surely she get an anchor job soon rather than later at CNBC Europe or somewhere else .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    CNBC blackout some parts of NBC Nigthly News due to footage that shows Olympics or other footage.This is because CNBC is a business channel and shows NBC Nightly News because MSNBC and NBC are their sister networks.

You can see NBC Nightly news in full on nbcnightlynews.com or hulu.com

I hate the NBC nightly news blackouts on CNBC, it's getting ridiculous, one night a succession of stories reports were not shown! :mad:

makes the news bulletin almost unwatchable.
  • Options
    d2macrejectd2macreject Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karthic180 wrote: »
    CNBC blackout some parts of NBC Nigthly News due to footage that shows Olympics or other footage.This is because CNBC is a business channel and shows NBC Nightly News because MSNBC and NBC are their sister networks.

You can see NBC Nightly news in full on nbcnightlynews.com or hulu.com

nbcnightlynews.com also edit sections out, though bizarrely
    last week they edited out the opening story on Pistorious from
    the full bulletin but left the story in the individual items on the
    app, Olympics footage and all.

You actually get to see Nightly News two hours earlier in the UK than we do on the West Coast!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    You actually get to see Nightly News two hours earlier in the UK than we do on the West Coast!

That doesn't make much sense to me :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because CNBC broadcast it live at 11.30 GMT (6.30 ET broadcast) and West Coast affiliates show it at 5.30 PT (1.30 am GMT) on two hour time delay.

Here out West you get used to time delay, lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because CNBC broadcast it live at 11.30 GMT (6.30 ET broadcast) and West Coast affiliates show it at 5.30 PT (1.30 am GMT) on two hour time delay.

Here out West you get used to time delay, lol

Ah it makes sense now! Maths and anything involving it isn't my strongest point :o I'm hopeless at mental arithmetic and I need a calculator or pen and paper to work it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah it makes sense now! Maths and anything involving it isn't my strongest point :o I'm hopeless at mental arithmetic and I need a calculator or pen and paper to work it out.

Generally the show is just a delayed repeat of the earlier broadcast but sometimes there is a 'Western Edition' with updated content. Happens on Today as well. On NFL Sunday nights Nightly News isn't even broadcast in the West.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a side note, CNBC (the domestic US service) is becoming a decent venue for primetime viewing. It feels like two separate networks. Very little international business content after US hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Generally the show is just a delayed repeat of the earlier broadcast but sometimes there is a 'Western Edition' with updated content. Happens on Today as well. On NFL Sunday nights Nightly News isn't even broadcast in the West.

I always thought the broadcast was the same no matter where it was coming from :o I know you have local affiliate channels in the US as well which I presume are good for local news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Last night CNBC showed NBC Nightly News on a tape delay at 111:30pm uk time.the nbc nightly news was shown live on nbc at 10:30pm uk time /6:30pm eastern time.

This happens during when usa moves the daylight saving time and uk stays on GMT until end of the month
  • Options
    Forum Member
    karthic180 wrote: »
    Last night CNBC showed NBC Nightly News on a tape delay at 111:30pm uk time.the nbc nightly news was shown live on nbc at 10:30pm uk time /6:30pm eastern time.

This happens during when usa moves the daylight saving time and uk stays on GMT until end of the month

It's the same with all other CNBC US shows. It can actually be rather annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought the broadcast was the same no matter where it was coming from :o I know you have local affiliate channels in the US as well which I presume are good for local news.

First 30 minutes of Today on the West Coast is often different with a 'Live PST' banner to clarify. Also the show will be started with a 'It's 7am on the West Coast' introduction. Soon goes back to ET version though. Particularly noticeable during winter when the backdrop goes from light to pitch dark in ten minutes.

Nightly News will have a 'Western Edition' banner to clarify. Sometimes there will be a break in by a different presenter with breaking news before returning to the recorded broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First 30 minutes of Today on the West Coast is often different with a 'Live PST' banner to clarify. Also the show will be started with a 'It's 7am on the West Coast' introduction. Soon goes back to ET version though. Particularly noticeable during winter when the backdrop goes from light to pitch dark in ten minutes.

Nightly News will have a 'Western Edition' banner to clarify. Sometimes there will be a break in by a different presenter with breaking news before returning to the recorded broadcast.

Thanks. The different time zones must be very confusing! Do you manage alright? It's easier here in Ireland as we're on the same time zone as the UK :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. The different time zones must be very confusing! Do you manage alright? It's easier here in Ireland as we're on the same time zone as the UK :D

Only around 20% of the population live in the Western time zones so it's understandable that Eastern and Central Time takes priority.

The only time the difference is noticeable is during sporting events. NFL games kick off at 10am here. Monday Night Football at 5.30pm, oh and New Year's Eve when everyone has Midnight before us, lol (well except Hawaii!)

The main time the 3 hour difference brings issues is if something operates on Eastern Time like banks and if you need to transfer money before going into the red at midnight ET, then there's three hours less to do it in real terms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So the CNBC EUROPE shows have been switched around in the morning/ lunchtime slots with the U.S based show taking over the London based show at that time.Personally I wish Kelly Evans would get her own show based around her from London in that time slot like Francine Lacqua does on BTV in the morning but for a much longer time slot .She is very bright and intelligent and easily one of CNBC Europe 's best assests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    viewer btv wrote: »
    So the CNBC EUROPE shows have been switched around in the morning/ lunchtime slots with the U.S based show taking over the London based show at that time.

I could be wrong but I think the reason for that is because of the US time change. Once the UK changes the clocks this weekend the schedules will be back to normal.
  • Options
    Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is correct!:cool:
  • Options
    Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will CNBC EUROPE have dedicated 24/7 service broadcast from London on a permanent basis ?
    That would make watching it more appealing and interesting than watching the U.S content most of the time .

3 chances: Slim. Fat and none.

It cost money.

Power Lunch Europe, history. European Closing Bell used to be 2 hours, now 1 hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is correct!:cool:

I've still got it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've still got it :D
    Funny how CNBC EUROPE TV AND BTV EUROPE have both been changing around their tv schedules just now Muck ups your recording of these programmes on your HDTV recorder especially if you missing something important you wanted to see .As others have said hopefully it will return to normal soon and settle down so you can record these programmes at the right times and watch them later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny how CNBC EUROPE TV AND BTV EUROPE have both been changing around their tv schedules just now Muck ups your recording of these programmes on your HDTV recorder especially if you missing something important you wanted to see .As others have said hopefully it will return to normal soon and settle down so you can record these programmes at the right times and watch them later

It'll return to normal when the UK change the clocks forward this weekend. It affects the schedules as the US changed their clocks a couple of weeks ago and the East Coast of the US is currently 4 hours behind UK time rather than 5 hours.
  • Options
    ThisGenerationThisGeneration Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I'm glad the clocks are going forward this weekend, there were times during Squawk On The Street in the past three weeks when I was thinking it was one time and it was actually another. :o

SOTS will start 2:00pm as normal in the UK on Monday (and from Tuesday back to two hours because European Closing Bell is at 4:00pm - we in Europe miss the third hour :mad:) and other CNBC US shows will be back to their normal times as well. Easter Monday is not largely observed in the US except for a few states. There won't be any CNBC Europe programming due to the markets being closed as it's a public holiday.

I also want to make an apology for not posting in here for a while - there's other things I've been occupied with lately. It's good to see the thread being used regularly, thanks to those of you that post in here and those that read it too. :)