Options

A lovely mild Christmas is looking probable

StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Probably just as well, with many people having to choose:

Eat or Heat

Very quiet boring spell of weather is looking likely at the moment, so no worries with storms, snow or ice

Recent Daily Express / Star headlines warning of snowmageddon... no chance... cry into your beers guys

It's good news for many... maybe not such good news for those hoping for snow

Comments

• Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Yes, best news ever.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I have slipped a gear. We were being warned of very cold weather lasting a long time just a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful, very festive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eat or Heat

Very quiet boring spell of weather is looking likely at the moment, so no worries with storms, snow or ice

Recent Daily Express / Star headlines warning of snowmageddon... no chance... cry into your beers guys

Oh you didn't get this email from the Daily Express then?
    A fierce Arctic storm will rip across Britain later today bringing freezing temperatures, ice and snow across much of the country.

It comes as forecasters warn this winter could be the worst since 1947, with relentless cold and heavy snow 'extremely likely'.

With the record big freeze set to last until April, THIS is the time to make sure you're fully prepared for the worst.

I kid you not I received that on Thursday.

I wouldn't mind some snow for Xmas, The norm is boring to be honest, I live in a low lying area so haven't had any snow since the big freeze a few years back so a change from the norm would be nice.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't afford my heating as it is, so that will much welcome.:cool:
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh you didn't get this email from the Daily Express then?

I kid you not I received that on Thursday.

I wouldn't mind some snow for Xmas, The norm is boring to be honest, I live in a low lying area so haven't had any snow since the big freeze a few years back so a change from the norm would be nice.

Why would a national newspaper email you a weather warning?
    To be honest, the Daily Express are a total embarrassment with its crap over the top weather warnings.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eat or Heat

Yep, no sign of any Scandinavian high pressure area this Winter so far. Indeed, with an anticyclone to the South, it looks like mild dry weather will predominate. The best type of weather you can get in Winter.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    To be honest, the Daily Express are a total embarrassment with its crap over the top weather warnings.

They really are making themselves look total and utter idiots.

Their "warnings" are so frequent that even their readers must now realise something is up with them.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a brief spell of snowy weather at Christmas as it's been decades since the last proper white Christmas here. 2010 doesn't count as although there was snow cover on the ground from previous days, it didn't snow on Christmas day itself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

A readers offer, trying to flog heated Ice scrappers believe it or not.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a theory that the likes of the mail/express have a deal with the supermarkets. If they need to shift more bread & milk, they get a article written and wait for the pensioners to clear the shelves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    its hard to believe the storm and tidal surge, with hundreds of people flooded and out of there homes, just two days ago :(..I feel for all the people that's its happened to , 3 weeks before xmas ..now we wake up to a calm Saturday with homes ruined etc..hard to believe :(
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a brief spell of snowy weather at Christmas as it's been decades since the last proper white Christmas here. 2010 doesn't count as although there was snow cover on the ground from previous days, it didn't snow on Christmas day itself.

The irony of how the met office defines a white Christmas. The nation could have 3 feet of even snow lying across it on Christmas Day, but if no actual snow fell on that date then it is not technically a white Christmas, whereas the country could have absolutely no lying snow anywhere, but if a single snowflake is seen to fall onto the roof of the met office on the day, then it's technically a white Christmas in their eyes!

Absurd. :(
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mild Christmas suits me fine, in fact I would like a mild winter with very few frosts and absolutely no snow. I can see absolutely no advantage whatsoever with any snow.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    A mild Christmas suits me fine, in fact I would like a mild winter with very few frosts and absolutely no snow. I can see absolutely no advantage whatsoever with any snow.

Indeed, snow and bad weather does disrupt travel, as indeed happened to some extent on Monday.

It was milder at Christmas than at Easter. So much for a white Christmas. Mind you, at least this year the Easter Eggs did not melt! :D
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the many people who have had their homes flooded and the many more who have spent the week without power would swap our 'lovely mild' Christmas with a nice frosty one without such problems any day. I khow I would, even though I have not been so affected.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An utter disaster for thousands. And the real possibility it could continue for days..
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I'm sure the many people who have had their homes flooded and the many more who have spent the week without power would swap our 'lovely mild' Christmas with a nice frosty one without such problems any day. I khow I would, even though I have not been so affected.

This..

In fact some Australians - who've holidayed in the UK over the festive period - prefere the idea of a cold and frosty Christmas over the mild ones they have over there.