Options

Sky Sports secures 6 new sport deals

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
Forum Member
✭✭
Sky Sports has secured six long-term rights agreements across six different sports including the British & Irish Lions, Super League rugby, England overseas cricket, Scottish football, speedway and sports entertainment leader, WWE.

• LIONS RUGBY– Exclusively live coverage of the 2017 British & Irish Lions Tour to New Zealand, including every Test match against the mighty All Blacks

• SUPER LEAGUE– A five-year deal from 2017, ensuring only on Sky Sports can viewers enjoy live Super League matches until at least 2021

• WWE– A five-year deal from 2015 offering over 600 hours of content a year from the worldwide leader in sports entertainment including weekly programming and 12 special PPV events a year

• ENGLAND CRICKET– A seven-year deal for live cricket from New Zealand, including two England winter tours in 2018 and 2020

• SCOTTISH FOOTBALL– A four-year deal with the Scottish FA beginning next season for the Scottish Cup, international friendlies and Scottish FA Youth Cup

• SPEEDWAY– At least five more years of Elite League speedway starting this April, offering Sky Sports viewers live coverage of 25 meetings a season

Comments

• Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is WWE a sport?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Is WWE a sport?

To be honest I don't know what WWE is classed as! But its shown on Sky Sports ;-)
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    The Lions, cricket, speedway and Super League all just extensions of what they provide now (but good for their particular audiences).

But why include WWE under sport - isn't it a constructed reality show like TOWIE or Made in Chelsea? :D

And as for Scottish Football - I guess the Conference contract wasn't up for renewal yet, so they chose the next option... :) Seriously though, if the Scots independence vote goes through, Sky can add it to the Spanish football as part of their foreign sports coverage :)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is WWE a sport?

the clue is in the name - WWE
    where the E stands for Entertainment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. And I suppose the winner of the Scottish Premier League (at least until Rangers make it back) is no less pre-ordained than the average WWE match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. And I suppose the winner of the Scottish Premier League (at least until Rangers make it back) is no less pre-ordained than the average WWE match.

the same could be said about any league really.
    the winners are always going to come from a tiny sub-section of teams.

Scotland - 2 teams (at the moment 1)
    England - 3 teams (maybe 4 at a push)
    Spain - 2 teams
    Italy - 3 teams
    Germany - 2 teams
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of these deals is not for a sport
    one of those deals [cricket] probably won't take place due to ICC restructuring
    the rl deal and lions deal are both extensions of existing contracts, though the 'new' SL set up sees the matches increase to 100.
    scottish football was the best domestic contract up for renewal, bt if they did bid might be disappointed about that

its still the case that bar part of sl and speedway these are all for contracts that are winter based.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Five different teams have won the Bundesliga in the last ten years, although Bayern Munich's increasing dominance is poor for the league. WWE should have no place on a sports channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the same could be said about any league really.
    the winners are always going to come from a tiny sub-section of teams.

Scotland - 2 teams (at the moment 1)
    England - 3 teams (maybe 4 at a push)
    Spain - 2 teams
    Italy - 3 teams
    Germany - 2 teams

Atletico is currently tied with Barca and ahead of Real Madrid. The Premiership is having one of its most open races in years. Wolfsburg won the German title in 2008/9. There have been at least five different winners of each of those leagues in the past 30 years, Scotland has had two, and until Rangers make it back there is precisely no chance the league will be won by anyone other than Celtic.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we are about due skys second half results for 2013 - i presume these are poor and hence the sports rights and hbo deals being announced. I presume too that subs will be going up again in the not to distant.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Like the way it talks about WWE being the worldwide leaders in sports entertainment. Not a sport, not entertaining.

Good news about Super League though.

Rugby Union I don't care about, think it's rubbish personally.

Cricket from New Zealand doesn't fuss me other than the England tours there.

Speedway doesn't interest me.

Scottish deal is fine, surprised about it including the Scottish Youth Cup though, don't see anyone really watching that, but it must've been part of the deal on offer.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTsky wrote: »
    • SPEEDWAY– At least five more years of Elite League speedway starting this April, offering Sky Sports viewers live coverage of 25 meetings a season

Might have thought they would have been more interested in picking Grand Prix speedway back up again now that there is a young British World Champion who is going to be in contention for years to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Like the way it talks about WWE being the worldwide leaders in sports entertainment. Not a sport, not entertaining.

Scottish deal is fine, surprised about it including the Scottish Youth Cup though, don't see anyone really watching that, but it must've been part of the deal on offer.

Lets see what 6 nations viewing figues are compared to Rugby League World Cup.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, is it 1990 again ?

I thought people stopped complaining about the WWE being on Sky Sports years ago ..

Anyway, it's obvious why it's on Sky Sports - money. The kids like to watch it, so the parents will pay for the Sports package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any Lions tour is a pretty big deal, and will appeal to viewers in England, Scotland and Wales. Only problem is the kick-off times aren't great for UK viewing. I'm not much of a fan of either rugger code, but the Lions I'll watch. Agree with you on most of the rest, same issue re: start times for the cricket from NZ. Maybe England won't be hopeless by then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atletico is currently tied with Barca and ahead of Real Madrid. The Premiership is having one of its most open races in years. Wolfsburg won the German title in 2008/9. There have been at least five different winners of each of those leagues in the past 30 years, Scotland has had two, and until Rangers make it back there is precisely no chance the league will be won by anyone other than Celtic.

well if you're gonna include the last 30 years then you need to include aberdeen and dundee utd then.

is the english premier league really that open in terms of who will win it? in reality it'll be from the same usual suspects. just like every other league.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lets see what 6 nations viewing figues are compared to Rugby League World Cup.

Don't care really, as I won't be watching it. Just because it might get bigger viewing figures doesn't mean I'll become interested in the sport. I think league is good and union is (to put it politely) rubbish. That's never gonna change.

Viewing figures between the 2 different codes are therefore totally irrelevant to me.

Didn't even watch the RWC in 2003 when England won it because I think it's a rubbish sport, and I'd rather watch a sport involving 2 nations I have no real interest in but in a sport that I like watching, than watch England in a world cup final in a sport that I have no interest in watching because I think it's rubbish.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    People who complain about wwe not been a sport dont understand what goes into it.

Wrestling is no more fixed than

Snooker
    Cricket
    Horse racing
    And some football matches
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there's nothing there that sends my pulse rating. In fact, when someone announces a "list" of all the rights Sky have acquired, my heart sinks a little with the worry that they've acquired one of my fave sports.

They haven't, not on this list anyway, so I can breathe easily - for the time being :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    People who complain about wwe not been a sport dont understand what goes into it.

Snooker
    Cricket
    Horse racing

But in those sports the participants do actually sink shots, hit and catch the ball, win races and score goals, they don't pretend to do so. And the "fixed" outcomes are very rare, not every single contest. Or does WWE occasionally have matches where the winner hasn't been agreed in advance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »

Snooker
    Cricket
    Horse racing

Erm, yes it is. WWE is fixed in every aspect at all times. No other 'sport' is. To say it's no more fixed than the other sports you mentioned makes me wonder if you'd been drinking when you posted that, because it's such absolute complete tosh it's just not even funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    well if you're gonna include the last 30 years then you need to include aberdeen and dundee utd then.

is the english premier league really that open in terms of who will win it? in reality it'll be from the same usual suspects. just like every other league.

You're right about Aberdeen (last time they won was 1985), Dundee's last title was 1983.

Wolfsburg winning the German title in 2008/9 was not a case of "usual suspects", and if Atletico were to somehow win La Liga this season that would be very unexpected as well. Man City are at least new to the top table in England, even if it is 100% down to dumb luck and oil money.

The Scottish league at the moment obviously suffers from what happened to Rangers, but an eighteen point league just after Christmas on the back of ten straight wins for Celtic means the whole thing is pretty much a foregone conclusion. And it's not as though Celtic are a power in Europe. Watching their players celebrate like they just won the world cup as they bang in their third and fourth goals against the likes of Kilmarnock is fairly laughable.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't care really, as I won't be watching it. Just because it might get bigger viewing figures doesn't mean I'll become interested in the sport. I think league is good and union is (to put it politely) rubbish. That's never gonna change.

Viewing figures between the 2 different codes are therefore totally irrelevant to me.

Didn't even watch the RWC in 2003 when England won it because I think it's a rubbish sport, and I'd rather watch a sport involving 2 nations I have no real interest in but in a sport that I like watching, than watch England in a world cup final in a sport that I have no interest in watching because I think it's rubbish.

I am the other way.

And as for the RL World Cup las year, how many teams were Australian???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surpirised BT did not get those rights...
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Lions tour is a pretty big deal, and will appeal to viewers in England, Scotland and Wales. Only problem is the kick-off times aren't great for UK viewing. I'm not much of a fan of either rugger code, but the Lions I'll watch. Agree with you on most of the rest, same issue re: start times for the cricket from NZ. Maybe England won't be hopeless by then.

Ehhh...and Ireland :)