Options

Bauer v Global

pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
Forum Member
Bauer appear to be growing and trying to take Global on in most areas;

Kiss taking on Capital, UK wide on DAB and on FM in some areas (including London).
Magic going UK wide on DAB from Jan to take on Smooth.
Rock music wise Bauer are stronger with Absolute and Planet Rock, although Global have XFM available across lots of the country on local DAB although this is more new/indie focussed than Bauer's offerings.

The interesting one is Heart, this is Global's biggest station yet Bauer aren't really competing fully, The Place 1 stations in the North are probably the closest competitors but South of Manchester Bauer doesn't bother to compete with Heart.

I think Bauer needs a Heart competitor, maybe Network their Place One stations and add to local muxes in the South or come up with a new station. They haven't done much with Absolute yet maybe with the two D1 slots they will refocus Absolute into two stations one remaining rock/guitar focused and male skewed with the 2nd being more of a Heart Competitor?

Comments

• Options
    MSBMSB Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bauer does not have the portfolio to compete with Global. Having Heart, Capital and Smooth in their Northern areas effectively stifled them, leaving them to leverage their local stations.

Having said that, if you combine the Kiss, Place 1 and the Orion-owned Free Radio stations you have a national network of hit stations that is , at least a counterweight to Heart and has a bigger footprint than Capital.

Bauer's national strategy is rightly via their national digital and DAB stations, where they have a lead over Global.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    Gem 106 I guess is a direct Heart competitor,.. heard it while driving up to Manchester from Cardiff on Sunday - shame its not UK wide on Satellite (Sky/Freesat) - would give Heart a run for its money I think

Bauer I think are going the right way with rebranding Magic to Place 2 - its bringing a more local feel to things. Place 3 I think could be picked up by UTV in its areas on DAB (Pulse 3, Signal 3 and Wave 3)
  • Options
    InterestedPartyInterestedParty Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    The interesting one is Heart, this is Global's biggest station yet Bauer aren't really competing fully, The Place 1 stations in the North are probably the closest competitors but South of Manchester Bauer doesn't bother to compete with Heart.

They're doing pretty well with Wave 105 in Hampshire and Dorset.
  • Options
    andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    I think Bauer needs a Heart competitor,

Please God no, not another station like Heart. Having Heart is bad enough.

Would be nice to see something like a national version of JACK fm though, I know Absolute is sort of in that area but it's too narrow compared to the JACKs. But defo not another Heart-a-like please!
  • Options
    mmmmmmagicmmmmmmagic Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Gem 106 is a good listen, quite overlooked I feel.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gem 106 I guess is a direct Heart competitor,.. heard it while driving up to Manchester from Cardiff on Sunday - shame its not UK wide on Satellite (Sky/Freesat) - would give Heart a run for its money I think

Bauer I think are going the right way with rebranding Magic to Place 2 - its bringing a more local feel to things. Place 3 I think could be picked up by UTV in its areas on DAB (Pulse 3, Signal 3 and Wave 3)

That's an interesting comment, considering there will be less local input with all local shows going to be replaced by the national shows for England and Scotland.